Question 4 Pin RGB Headers

Dec 17, 2020
Alright folks, my brain is fried after RMAing my Asus Prime Z390-A back to newegg for mysteriously bent pins in the CPU socket. Fingers crossed they don't blame me. Now I am burying my head in various forums and reddit posts trying to find some guidance with 4pin rgb headers without my brain overheating.

As stated above I have an ASUS PrimeZ390-A. They come with two RGB "LED" headers. Both which are 4pin connectors. Anyway I "was" in the midst of a new build when I had to break my pc back down due to a no post from bent cpu pins.

I had all my fans wired up and my RGB fans connected. And noticed all my fans powered up. BUT my rgb did not light up. (I know how to wire them, at least so I thought...)

I had a coolermaster rgb controller attached to my old mobo to make the rgb glow. I am also continuing to use my coolermaster h500 case which I swapped into a year ago. Now since I have the headers I thought I could omit the controller and plug an rgb splitter into one of the 4pin headers on my mobo........

Upon hooking up to the 4pin header with coolermaster rgb cables i noticed the cable connection was pretty damn loose and did not feel right at all. Soooo... am I missing something? I should be able to use those headers to sync with aura and power my RGB? Or have I miseducated myself?

Thanks in advance!

Dec 13, 2020
Shoot, the intake case fans are ARGB, my radiator fans are RGB, and the exhaust fan I picked up was ARGB....... From what I'm reading you're not suppose to mix?

No, they are incompatible and you will fry the strip and possibly the header and possibly even further damage to the motherboard. If you have them mixed up change immediately.

Dec 17, 2020
No, they are incompatible and you will fry the strip and possibly the header and possibly even further damage to the motherboard. If you have them mixed up change immediately.
I guess I will resume using the controller as much as i hate it. Is there other auxillary chips/controller/boards I can get to plug into the mobo?

I also still dont understand why the connection is still so loose on the header.