[SOLVED] 4 PIN RGB WAVE EFFECT STRIP

skyzosnop

Reputable
Jul 29, 2019
So I want to buy an rgb strip which can make the wave effect, and the ones I saw were 3 pin strips.
Is there anyway I can use those 3 pin strips on a 4 pin connector?

Can I get any adapter for this to work?

Are there any strips that can make the wave effect on 4 pins?

My motherboard is the gigabyte z390 gaming x.

Solution
No, no adapter can convert to what you want to see. The two lighting systems (plain RGB you have, and ARGB) are quite different and cannot be mixed on one header. Because of the designs, a plain RGB system (you have) can only make an entire strip one colour at a time, although that colour can be changed. It cannot do a wave moving down the strip, or a rainbow. An ARGB system can do that. You can get a special lighting Hub that allows you to input control signals from a plain RGB system and convert that to output to drive an ARGB light set. However, the signal that the plain RGB system can provide to that converter can NOT include any of the complex things an ARGB light set can do. So when you do this, the ARGB lights can only display...

jasonf2

Distinguished
So I want to buy an rgb strip which can make the wave effect, and the ones I saw were 3 pin strips.
Is there anyway I can use those 3 pin strips on a 4 pin connector?

Can I get any adapter for this to work?

Are there any strips that can make the wave effect on 4 pins?

My motherboard is the gigabyte z390 gaming x.
No the three pins are ARGB (Addressable) and the 4 pins are RGB. RGB is one solid color on the 4 pin while ARGB lights can be individually changed across the strip (3 pin) for the wave effect. They won't mix though. There are some converters, but regardless the RGB (4 wire) strips cannot be individually addressed so they will be a solid color on the stick. Coolmaster makes a standalone controller that can be programmed and control the ARGB lights, but you will have to get ARGB lights.

skyzosnop

Reputable
Jul 29, 2019
No the three pins are ARGB (Addressable) and the 4 pins are RGB. RGB is one solid color on the 4 pin while ARGB lights can be individually changed across the strip (3 pin) for the wave effect. They won't mix though. There are some converters, but regardless the RGB (4 wire) strips cannot be individually addressed so they will be a solid color on the stick. Coolmaster makes a standalone controller that can be programmed and control the ARGB lights, but you will have to get ARGB lights.
So can I buy an ARGB strip and then an adapter?
What do you recommend?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
No, no adapter can convert to what you want to see. The two lighting systems (plain RGB you have, and ARGB) are quite different and cannot be mixed on one header. Because of the designs, a plain RGB system (you have) can only make an entire strip one colour at a time, although that colour can be changed. It cannot do a wave moving down the strip, or a rainbow. An ARGB system can do that. You can get a special lighting Hub that allows you to input control signals from a plain RGB system and convert that to output to drive an ARGB light set. However, the signal that the plain RGB system can provide to that converter can NOT include any of the complex things an ARGB light set can do. So when you do this, the ARGB lights can only display the SAME more limited patterns that the plain RGB lighting system can do.

To do what you want, you need a set of ARGB lights AND a controller box for them that operates independent of the mobo. SOME of these systems actually allow you to connect the controller box to a mobo USB2 header so you can use a software utility supplied to control the lights.

Solution

skyzosnop

Reputable
Jul 29, 2019
No, no adapter can convert to what you want to see. The two lighting systems (plain RGB you have, and ARGB) are quite different and cannot be mixed on one header. Because of the designs, a plain RGB system (you have) can only make an entire strip one colour at a time, although that colour can be changed. It cannot do a wave moving down the strip, or a rainbow. An ARGB system can do that. You can get a special lighting Hub that allows you to input control signals from a plain RGB system and convert that to output to drive an ARGB light set. However, the signal that the plain RGB system can provide to that converter can NOT include any of the complex things an ARGB light set can do. So when you do this, the ARGB lights can only display the SAME more limited patterns that the plain RGB lighting system can do.

To do what you want, you need a set of ARGB lights AND a controller box for them that operates independent of the mobo. SOME of these systems actually allow you to connect the controller box to a mobo USB2 header so you can use a software utility supplied to control the lights.
Do you think if I get this adapter https://prnt.sc/vjgqqv and an argb strip it will work?
The one that converts 4 pin to 3 pin

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Your link appears to show a simple cable that allows you to connect a 4-pin plain RGB male mobo header to a 3-pion ARGB male connector. You should NEVER do that. It cannot work, and it will VERY likely damage your lights! The two systems use very different methods of controlling the displays. See my post above for Nov 15 - I said it is possible using a converter box to get signals from a plain RGB system to be displayed on an ARGB light set, BUT you cannot get all the fancy displays that a real ARGB system can do. And this does need a CONVERTER box, not just an adapter to allow connections. If you want full ARGB fancy display capability, you need both ARGB lights AND an ARGB controller capable of generating those fancy display signals.

IF you use a simple adapter, what is most likely to happen is that your ARGB lights that expect to receive a 5 VDC power supply will get 12 VDC instead, and be burned out immediately when you turn it on!