4 pin to 6 pin for r7 260x

mayanksoni886886

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017
I am having a r7 260x that needs a 6 pin but my psu not having a 6 pin it has a 4 pin cable.my psu is uman 450 watt plz anyone tell me what to do to run the gfx properly.
Thanks In advance

Solution
It only needs ~40w from the 6-pin, so a dual-molex to 6-pin should work fine. I've used 110w GPUs on 250w PSUs before and had them work. Another time I tried the same GPU on a 270w PSU and it blew up.

In fact every time I have damaged something with an underpowered PSU it has only been the GPU that died. So you are probably only risking the GPU to be able to use it for 2-3 weeks. But if it dies, how long will it take you to save up for another one and a PSU?

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

you need a new power supply with a 6-pin

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

you are asking to blow up everything using adapter cables with low tier power supplies

play russian roulette if you want to /shrug

Well your 4 pin cpu power header idea to a 6 pin is a terrible idea and I would not recommend it. Using adapters is always a bad idea and should never be used if it can be avoided.

Your psu is garbage and will most likely not be able to handle the extra power draw of the 260x anyways so you can either upgrade to a new good psu for around 40$ or spend 10$ in adapters that might not even work and fry your system.

It only needs ~40w from the 6-pin, so a dual-molex to 6-pin should work fine. I've used 110w GPUs on 250w PSUs before and had them work. Another time I tried the same GPU on a 270w PSU and it blew up.

In fact every time I have damaged something with an underpowered PSU it has only been the GPU that died. So you are probably only risking the GPU to be able to use it for 2-3 weeks. But if it dies, how long will it take you to save up for another one and a PSU?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS