4 Pins In an 8 Pin.

rspec95

Reputable
Dec 21, 2016
Hi I recently got some new hardware and the PSU I had failed about 2 days before the Motherboard and CPU arrived. I have an extra Power supply, the "Cit Pentium P4 500U 500W ATX PSU Power Supply EP10N1". Problem is my motherboard (Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3) uses an 8 pin for the CPU whilst the PSU only has a single 4pin connector. Could I still connect only my 4 pin and use my CPU (125W FX 8350) without any problems? If so which slots do I plug the 4 pin into?

Solution
That adapter would be worse as the ATX12V has two 12V wires while the AMP/"molex" cable the adapter plugs into has only one.

Most motherboards will work fine with only the 4-pin cable plugged in, no need to introduce additional variables and potential failure points by throwing unnecessary adapters at it.

Still would advise dumping that PSU at the nearest electronics recycling shop or into the garbage bin.
Hi

That looks like an old psu from the time of the pentium 4, so may not provide enough power on 12 volts circuit

and the amd FX cpu needs a lot of power
125 watts so i would recomend getting a new psu asap

The old psu may work for testing the build and installing windows but if you are adding a gpu and start playing games you will probably run into problems

Regards
Mike Barnes

Jwpanz

Honorable
Hi,

You can still use a 4 pin in the 8 pin slot closest to the CPU. So, as you look at the slot use the 4 pins on the right.

The 4 pin connector should deliver enough power but don’t plan on overclocking too much as you will run into stability issues. I would still recommend buying a newer PSU as that one is old and may die on you soon.

InvalidError

Titan
That adapter would be worse as the ATX12V has two 12V wires while the AMP/"molex" cable the adapter plugs into has only one.

Most motherboards will work fine with only the 4-pin cable plugged in, no need to introduce additional variables and potential failure points by throwing unnecessary adapters at it.

Still would advise dumping that PSU at the nearest electronics recycling shop or into the garbage bin.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

That's a bit like fixing the oil light going on in your car by putting black electrical tape over the indicator so that you can't see it. You still would have the basic problem, a crap-tier PSU that shouldn't be running anything more powerful than an egg salad sandwich.

That's the thing about quick, easy fixes: they tend to become slower, more expensive ones.

TRENDING THREADS