4 screens ughh AMD

irishconvict

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2013
okies i have a R9 295x2 and im sitting on ccc driver 14.9 due to the latest drivers dont like eyefinity.... okies this is the problem

the default windows shows it connected and same ccc but i cant enable it hmmm..

these are my connector!

mini display to = hd
mini display to = hd
mini display to = dvi

and using the dvi connect thats on the card

i also have a mini display, Display port connector too but its not connected

anything would be nice cheers guys

Solution
Unfortunately it's pretty hard to get a straight answer to these questions, but it seems that while they improved things with the R9 290/290X/295X, it's still problematic.

Basically you can have a maximum of 3 monitors connected via DVI or HDMI. Every monitor beyond 3 must be connected either via:
a) Displayport to Displayport (can be either mini DP or full DP, doesn't matter, as long as BOTH card and monitor connected via Displayport)

OR

b) ACTIVE displayport to HDMI or DVI adapters. The ACTIVE bit is critical as cheaper passive adapters just won't work.

To be clear, the passive adapters will work on the first 3 screens, but as soon as you want to connected a 4th and 5th screen, each one must be connected via native DP or via...
Unfortunately it's pretty hard to get a straight answer to these questions, but it seems that while they improved things with the R9 290/290X/295X, it's still problematic.

Basically you can have a maximum of 3 monitors connected via DVI or HDMI. Every monitor beyond 3 must be connected either via:
a) Displayport to Displayport (can be either mini DP or full DP, doesn't matter, as long as BOTH card and monitor connected via Displayport)

OR

b) ACTIVE displayport to HDMI or DVI adapters. The ACTIVE bit is critical as cheaper passive adapters just won't work.

To be clear, the passive adapters will work on the first 3 screens, but as soon as you want to connected a 4th and 5th screen, each one must be connected via native DP or via an ACTIVE DP adapter.

None of your monitors accept displayport inputs?

If not, grab something like this for your 4th display: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999034&cm_re=mini_DP_to_dvi_active-_-14-999-034-_-Product

The first three should continue to work on native DVI and your current (passive) adapters.

Solution

irishconvict

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2013

i got a mini display port connector but its converted to dvi will that work?

also active adapters what you mean by that?

irishconvict

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2013

hey mate i have just ordered a ACTIVE mini display port to HD that be fine yeah?

When you say "HD", you mean HDMI yeah? Because if so, that should work, as long as it is genuinely an "ACTIVE" adpater. It's a good idea to get one that specifically mentions "AMD" or "eyefinity", as those ones will be active.

If you're interesting in understanding a bit more, have a read of this post: http://www.migee.com/2012/12/20/active-vs-passive-displayport-adapter-whats-the-difference-why-does-eyefinity-care/
Now in the more modern card you have (R9 295X) AMD has upped the number of non DVI/HDMI monitor support from 2 (as mentioned in the article) to 3... but the principle is still the same, due to the limited TMDS streams, you can only support 3 monitors connected via HDMI or DVI.

irishconvict

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2013

yeah its a hdmi mini disply port and the bloke said its a active one i should have it in a few days ill get back to you on it to let you know how i go and ill also have a read too

just yeah threw me for a 6 been playing for a few years on 3 screens and today was like yeah lets add another nek minnit :p

cheers for the help ill let you know how i go

irishconvict

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2013

hey ya
i got the connector the ACTIVE one and it works =D now i just need to figure out how to make it extended my middle screen up instead of long ways

Glad to hear it all worked.

I personally find the Windows "Screen Resolution" settings much easier to manipulate than AMD's catalyst control centre. Right click on your desktop, choose "Screen Resolution", and drag and drop the screen icons to reflect their physical arrangement... simple as that!

Have fun!

TRENDING THREADS