[SOLVED] 4 Slot Ram Overclocking Help

Apr 10, 2020
I have a MSI MPG X570 Gaming plus, originally with 2x8 DDR4 Ram 3200mhz placed on the board. I recently bought another exact same set so that I can gk 4x8. Problem is whenever I try to run them at 3200mhz my computer wont continue to boot up, it only boots up if the ram is set to the default (2400mhz).

I can't really find a solution online.. Would appreciate any help..

Solution
All high performance kits default to a standard value, this way they can work in most DDR4 system despite what it can support.

If the motherboard and CPU is capable you can set it higher.

You purchased two separate kits of RAM, so there is no guarantee how well they can work together.

Enable XMP Profile in BIOS, then manually adjust DRAM Frequency to see what can boot and work properly. It is up to the user to test and see what they can do when installed in one system since we did not do so from factory like a 4 x 8GB kit.
I have a MSI MPG X570 Gaming plus, originally with 2x8 DDR4 Ram 3200mhz placed on the board. I recently bought another exact same set so that I can gk 4x8. Problem is whenever I try to run them at 3200mhz my computer wont continue to boot up, it only boots up if the ram is set to the default (2400mhz).

I can't really find a solution online.. Would appreciate any help..
That's why RAM manufacturers guarantee top speed only when bought as one set.

Reactions: gskill support
Apr 10, 2020
I don't think anyone guarantees an overclock so you may just need to get ram rated for the speed you want.
But the thing is, the ram i bought is rated at 3200mhz. Thats why I'm really confused on why it defaults to 2400mhz whenever I reset the bios to default. And the computer wont boot whenever I up it to 3200mhz

Theresa N

Admirable
Dec 10, 2019
But the thing is, the ram i bought is rated at 3200mhz. Thats why I'm really confused on why it defaults to 2400mhz whenever I reset the bios to default. And the computer wont boot whenever I up it to 3200mhz
RAM speed won't be as fast with 4 modules rather than 2. Perhaps someone else will be able to inform you as to why this is. As far as I know this isn't true for Intel chipsets.

All high performance kits default to a standard value, this way they can work in most DDR4 system despite what it can support.

You purchased two separate kits of RAM, so there is no guarantee how well they can work together.

Enable XMP Profile in BIOS, then manually adjust DRAM Frequency to see what can boot and work properly. It is up to the user to test and see what they can do when installed in one system since we did not do so from factory like a 4 x 8GB kit.

Reactions: balvin and SamirD
Solution

Thank you for posting some official answers in this thread. :) Great to hear it straight from the source. :)

Reactions: balvin