[SOLVED] 4 sticks with only dual channel support.....

phenomenon810

Honorable
Jun 19, 2014
hello guys, just bought another two sticks of ddr3 of ram to upgrade my rig hoping to run quad channel only to find out my asus m5a99fx pro r2.0 only support dual channel.

is the performance gonna suffer a huge drop ? how things will work out 2 sticks dual channel and two single channel ? or all will run dual channel ?

thanks

Solution
hello guys, just bought another two sticks of ddr3 of ram to upgrade my rig hoping to run quad channel only to find out my asus m5a99fx pro r2.0 only support dual channel.

is the performance gonna suffer a huge drop ? how things will work out 2 sticks dual channel and two single channel ? or all will run dual channel ?

thanks
Both, CPU and MB have to support quad channel memory and for that combo it's not possible. Best possible is to have pairs of RAM in dual channel.
Processors like that one have 2 IMC (internal Memory Controller)s each supporting a pair of RAM in dual channel. Quad channel memory is supported only on high end server CPUs and MBs. In such servers special (server) RAM is also required. Your system is far from...

thanks
Both, CPU and MB have to support quad channel memory and for that combo it's not possible. Best possible is to have pairs of RAM in dual channel.
Processors like that one have 2 IMC (internal Memory Controller)s each supporting a pair of RAM in dual channel. Quad channel memory is supported only on high end server CPUs and MBs. In such servers special (server) RAM is also required. Your system is far from having options like that.
Performance therefore can't "suffer" because it's not available at all in first place. You might also have problem to run memory at full rated speed because of IMC overload and/or have higher temperatures in 2 x dual channel memory.

Solution

thanks
Some reading.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/298...e-shocking-truth-about-their-performance.html

Look in your manual for how to install the 2 kits to enable dual channel.