4-story building with wi-fi

Flog89

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Greetings.

What equipment would you use on a 4-story building with 200-1000 clients every night to give them wireless access? The building has thick walls and people stay inside rooms with closed doors. There are 3 holes on each floor, which lets you see from the surface to the roof. There are 8 rooms per floor.

I was thinking of a huge access point in the center with a 8 or 8.5 dbi antenna but I'm not sure about the router and access point.

There is also an annex that will have 10 rooms, making it a T building. Is it possible to give the annex' personal access too? I'm very worried about the interference, which is why I chose to use one access point and not several.

Can anyone here help me by giving me some equipment models or suggesting a different approach to the problem?

Thank you very much. Any help is appreciated.

G

Thick walls. People stay inside their rooms. Is this a hotel or a prison block ? Either way you'll need a site survey by a networking professional.

Flog89

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Thick walls. People stay inside their rooms. Is this a hotel or a prison block ? Either way you'll need a site survey by a networking professional.

If I told you, I'd have to kill you.

Just kidding. It is, actually, a college, with up to 40 students per classroom. In the annex each classroom has capacity for 80 students.

I've contacted a cisco partner and am waiting for their answer. Till then, what are your thoughts?

G

Honestly, it sounds like a black hole for wireless so a simple domestic wireless router (the extent of my experience) ain't gonna do it.

Latest posts