4 to 5 second delay when opening any Window apps...

Hello all,

I am have a problem with my Windows XP system. I have a 4 to 5 second delay
when trying to access any application and even Yahoo IM. Sometimes the system
utilization jumps to 100% but some times its is low and I still get a delay
action.
This is what I have done so far to try and eliminate the issue.
1) Virus scan
2) Delete all tmp, cookies and any junk files
3) Deleted all programs not needed or recently downloaded
4) Ran both Spybot and Spy Sweeper

Even with everything that I've done, I still get this 4 to 5 second delay.
When I use outlook, I can't even move files over, it opens misc folders or
just opens the file itself. Any suggesstions on how to resolve this issue
will be appreicatied.

Thanks
Carlos M

Carlos M wrote on 15-Nov-2004 11:39 AM:
> Hello all,
>
> I am have a problem with my Windows XP system. I have a 4 to 5 second delay
> when trying to access any application and even Yahoo IM. Sometimes the system
> utilization jumps to 100% but some times its is low and I still get a delay
> action.
> This is what I have done so far to try and eliminate the issue.
> 1) Virus scan
> 2) Delete all tmp, cookies and any junk files
> 3) Deleted all programs not needed or recently downloaded
> 4) Ran both Spybot and Spy Sweeper
>
> Even with everything that I've done, I still get this 4 to 5 second delay.
> When I use outlook, I can't even move files over, it opens misc folders or
> just opens the file itself. Any suggesstions on how to resolve this issue
> will be appreicatied.

The most apparent cause is some app that is running on every executable
launch. That is most likely malware.

Download, install, and run Ad-aware. It may find some malware that
Spybot didn't find.

--
Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security