Question 4 to 6 pin adapter for MSI GTX 1050 ti

Valdibrandr

Reputable
Jun 4, 2019
Good evening. Not sure if I'm in the right spot. I recently purchased an MSI GTX 1050 ti GPU and realized that it requires an external power source (presumably from the main power supply) using a 6 pin PCI express plug. Currently, my PC only has 4 pin plugs. I purchased a molex to 6 pin PCIe adapter in hopes that it will work. I did however read reviews that state the product has, on rare occasions, shorted motherboards. Is this something I should be concerned with? I do not want to damage my new GPU. My current power supply is an Apevia Venus 500w (roughly 2 years old). Thank you for any information you might have.

Also, one more thing....Your APEVIA PSU is a poor quality unit.

PSU is the last component you might want to cheap out on, or skimp. Try to get some other high quality PSU, IF possible. Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system. Don't SKIMP on the PSU,, since this is the MOST important PC component. I can't stress this enough.

Btw, this PSU list is NOT exhaustive, nor 100% accurate though, but at least it gives us some idea about the brand reputation, in the hierarchy list..BUT, make a note though. Despite Seasonic, XFX listed under the "arguably best brands" category by me, they have had pretty poor quality units as well. like the XT series, and SeaSonic S12II Series. There are more exceptions though...

Pretty much all PSU manufacturers sell good and bad power supplies.

PSU brands to never buy from :eek:
  • Diablotek
  • Apevia
  • Coolmax
  • Logisys
  • Sparkle
  • Raidmax
  • Zalman
  • Diablotek
  • Xilence
  • Tacens
  • iBALL
  • Zebronics.
  • Logisys.

• Average PSU brands (Not deadly but I would avoid them)
  • NZXT
  • Enermax
  • Cougar
  • Bitfenix
Good PSU brands (These psu brands have decent-great PSUs, but also have a few outliers)
  • EVGA
  • Corsair
  • Antec
  • Cooler master
  • Be quiet!
  • Fractal Design
  • SilverStone
  • FSP.
Arguably the best brands, but that's a slight exaggeration.. :) ;)
  • Seasonic
  • XFX
  • Superflower
Conclusion
Most power supplies you buy should be fine as long as you're not pushing them to the very limits. I obviously didn't include every OEM and re-seller but I listed the main ones. Pretty much all PSU manufacturers sell good and bad power supplies, it just takes a little reviewing and forethought into your system requirements before you make a selection....

Last edited:
I presume the case fans come with their own 3-pin headers, which you can plug them into the chassis fan headers on the board ?? The 4 pin headers will accept 3 pin fans, IMO, but 3 pin are controlled by voltage, and 4 pin by PWM.

But anyways, which PSU are you going to buy ??