4 vs 6 vs 8 core CPU for Adobe?

SniperPenguin

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
I have a 4790k. I am debating whether to change to a 6 or 8 core CPU for added benefits when using Photoshop or any other Adobe Programs. Possibly Sony Vegas in the future, if it's possible to find it for less than triple digit price points.

If I would get a new CPU it would be the Ryzen 1600x or 1700x. No reason to buy a new 4 core since the one I have now is fine.

Also, I'd be building a new PC/upgrading in the month of August. So by that time I expect the Intel X299 to be released and the Ryzen 7 Pro to also have been released or close to release.
No way I am spending 600$ for an 8 core Intel CPU. No way. But the 380$ for the 6 core is more appealing. Should I get that or the 8 core Ryzen, disregarding single core speed (Intel will always be a bit faster, and it's 6 core so go figure), but regarding. 1. Longevity of the chipset. 2. Value.

Thanks!

Solution
This isn't for sony vegas but it does explore premiere pro. For video editing a 6/8 core ryzen like a 1600x or 1700x would have a slight edge. For photoshop/lightroom they found that ryzen was quite a bit slower than an i7 7700k. Your 4790k isn't quite as fast due to clock speeds and ipc but with a decent cooler if you're running a z series board you can overclock it some to improve performance.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2017-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-1800X-Performance-909/

Value is subjective, it depends on how much time you spend in photoshop or other adobe programs, how much time you plan to spend in vegas. It depends on whether or not you feel the performance is worth the cost. I'd expect a new system...
well the difference is the multitasking speed, more cores = more speed, easy as that, for the value/performance case, ryzen 1600 seems to be the best choice, it's about 200$ and it comes with a cooler. the longetivity depends on your usage, whether u OC or not, and how good is your cooler, the better the cooler, the longer your CPU should last

SniperPenguin

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
I am usually a humble guy, but when you clearly did not read what I said it can get quite annoying.
I was speaking of Sony Vegas. It is an expensive software.
And by the way, my local microcenter has the AMD Vishera 8 core for 60$. Not that I'd buy it, but it's just pointing out that 1. Please read it instead of laughing if what I did not say, and 2. There is an 8 core for 60$.

This isn't for sony vegas but it does explore premiere pro. For video editing a 6/8 core ryzen like a 1600x or 1700x would have a slight edge. For photoshop/lightroom they found that ryzen was quite a bit slower than an i7 7700k. Your 4790k isn't quite as fast due to clock speeds and ipc but with a decent cooler if you're running a z series board you can overclock it some to improve performance.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2017-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-1800X-Performance-909/

Value is subjective, it depends on how much time you spend in photoshop or other adobe programs, how much time you plan to spend in vegas. It depends on whether or not you feel the performance is worth the cost. I'd expect a new system built around intel or amd to last several years and by then they'll both likely have a new motherboard/socket out for the next biggest thing. Platforms aren't universal and don't remain relevant forever, it's just the nature of the beast.

You may want to ask around in video forums that focus on sony vegas, last I'd checked the gpu played a somewhat significant role in rendering and it used to be that vegas played nicer with amd gpu's than nvidia. Being unable to make use of the newer nvidia cards or cuda cores. This article is a bit dated (1.5yrs old) but points out that vegas uses opencl which is implemented better on amd gpu's.

https://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/SonyVideoCards.htm

Solution