4 x 4GB RAM in a dual channel motherboard

willyburns

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2014
I have an Asus ROG Maximus VIII Formula which is a dual channel memory motherboard, however, I've purchased a 4 stick set (16GB) of Dominator Platinum memory. Will this perform better if I return it for a 2 stick set? I can't seem to find clarification of whether the performance changes using 4 sticks in a dual channel setup.

Solution
Yep 4x4GB will run fine - however 2x8GB would be preferable as 2 sticks is less stress on the MC (memory controller) which can affect the OC potential of the the CPU, 4x4 also uses more power and can cause a bit of extra unwanted heat. Only time I suggest 4 sticks with a dual channel mobo is it you are maxing out DRAM above what 2 sticks can provide

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Yep 4x4GB will run fine - however 2x8GB would be preferable as 2 sticks is less stress on the MC (memory controller) which can affect the OC potential of the the CPU, 4x4 also uses more power and can cause a bit of extra unwanted heat. Only time I suggest 4 sticks with a dual channel mobo is it you are maxing out DRAM above what 2 sticks can provide

Solution