4 x GPU using 3 x ASUS Swift monitors

manic orphans

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015
Hi guys, I have a question. I have 4 x Asus GTX 980 Poseidons ready to go, I will be watercooling them and running them in SLI for optimum performance. I am just wondering what their performance would be like and whether they would be able to run games like BF4 on ultra using a 3 monitor set up using ASUS ROG Swift 2660x1440 144hz at a strong Frame rate. I was told previously using 3 GPUs I would be better off using 1080P monitors for this if I want to play on ultra with good Frame rate. I'm not sure what the performance of 4 cards would be since no one has seemed to have done it. Can anyone help? Thanks

manic orphans

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015
That is what worries me. I don't want to spend $3000 on 3 swift monitors if I'm going to lose all framerate. Because running 3 of those monitors is actually higher than 4k apparently which would make sense I suppose. But the only other G-sync monitor is a 24inch 1080p. So I will be losing screen size.

Thunderballs

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014

I tried a 3 gpus set up recently on my 3 1080p monitors. i ended up knackering the pcie slot on my motherboard and al lthis was really just vanity for some extra AA and some FPS i wouldnt notice much !

At the moment with the way screens are going you have a tricky decision and if i was you I might be tempted to buy second hand screens (or cheaper older models at bargain prices) and see what happens to the 4k market in the next 6 months or so...keep / invest your cash.

You could end up losing a lot of $$ for very little in a short space of time...

Those 4k monitors are coming down the line and the price is coming down...I think id rather spend $450 in 3 1080p screens and keep the $2500 for 4k whats coming at the end of 2015...

11sphere92

Distinguished
Okay we need to be more clear here.
Decent FPS = ?
Lower FPS than before (buying ROG) = ?

If you are asking i don't want to buy if its lower. Then you shouldn't buy.

Why? Because ROG Swift are 1440p, and yours are 1080p. There is different on Resolution, which means you will get lower FPS than 1080p. But MAYBE (Because this is personal opinion, i mean yours and mine is definitely different) the quality of the picture going to be better.

manic orphans

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015
What I mean is am I going to be able to keep a decent framerate running the better screens because the 3 swifts equal to more than 4k in total running off the first GPU and I know 4k is pretty hard to run I would rather stick to 1080p if it is going to allow my games to run smoother. I haven't bought any screens yet. And I'm getting the G-sync enabled screens so it's either the 27in swift or another one which is 1080p 24in. I know the Poseidons roughly run bf4 between 80fps and 110fps.i don't want to drop to much lower because on an amazing quality screen you will notice.