4 Year old build, Random shutdown, no reboot.

Dangler342

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
Hey guys, this is just more of a "What is the most likely" rather than "what happened."
My build is almost 4 years old. Last night, playing Dark souls 3, and pretty much only running Skype with it, my PC just goes dark, completely. i haven't moved it in roughly 2-3 weeks, and dint play around with it at all during that time. When i turn on the power, for a split second, the LED strip plugged directly into the PSU flashes, but this only happens the first time you do it, pressing the power button again results in no lights. It's a pretty expensive build, and i have no clue what could have gone wrong.

Most likely cause in your opinion? PSU, CPU, or MOBO?
and also, if it was the CPU/MOBO, is there a chance the entire build has been destroyed from whatever happened?

Cant remember the full specs, this is what i can remember or now

Antec 620w Power supply
GTX 770 Windforce
Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Mobo
Intel i5 4460
2X G. Skills Ripjaws

Solution

I recommend to carefully remove parts, including cards and also power supply, clean and vacuum the dust out of each and every component,. Then put them back and try again. Sometimes dust buildup can cause big problems.

George Phillips

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015

I recommend to carefully remove parts, including cards and also power supply, clean and vacuum the dust out of each and every component,. Then put them back and try again. Sometimes dust buildup can cause big problems.

Solution