4 year old custom built pc won't turn on

Sep 5, 2018
Self built desktop PC has worked fine for about 4 years. Woke up this morning, and power led was blinking per usual when asleep. However, pressing the power switch did not wake it up. Holding power down did not turn off/restart. Just kept blinking. I unplugged it and tried other outlets, but pressing pwr switch does nothing, the led now remains off and no sound from case.

- it's not the outlet
- I tested a brand new PSU, with same result
- no visible damage to motherboard
- I tried to short circuit the pins on the motherboard that connect to the pwr switch, but nothing happened
- I used a paperclip to trigger the PSU pins in the 20-pin connector, and the PSU and I think maybe ssd/hd came to life

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
If you've tried the paperclip trick, either your CPU or your motherboard has failed.

Just in case, disconnect everything except the power supply, the motherboard and the front power switch, remove your graphics card, pull out all but one stick of ram and try forcing a reboot (first by powering on, then by paperclip trick) Try clearing CMOS also.

But it is overwhelmingly likely that your CPU or motherboard has failed.

topheron

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you've tried the paperclip trick, either your CPU or your motherboard has failed.

Just in case, disconnect everything except the power supply, the motherboard and the front power switch, remove your graphics card, pull out all but one stick of ram and try forcing a reboot (first by powering on, then by paperclip trick) Try clearing CMOS also.

But it is overwhelmingly likely that your CPU or motherboard has failed.

Solution