~40 degree idle temps in i5 3570k normal?

drstrangeluv

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
I recently built my own pc, assembled 3 days ago, and I think I have an issue with the temps. I have an i5 3570K, no overclocking, in a master cooler elite mini itx case (120mm and 80mm intake fans, 120mm internal fan, and the only thing moving air out is the fan on my corsair psu). At idle in RealTemp, my cores generally stay around 40 degrees, sometimes going as low as 32, sometimes as high as 46. The load for this period has been ranging from 0-25%. As I am typing this the load is 10% and the temps are 38 degrees roughly. Is this normal, and can the system stay like this for years without any detriment to its lifespan or capabilities?

I had also ran a Prime95 blend test for 10 min (I just got it and its the best I can do atm) and saw my temps hover around 80 degrees, with one core hitting 84. Load was at 100%, obviously. Is this anything to be worried about?

I feel paranoid that I may have set the cpu cooler wrong, but I do not want to go back and redo it (especially since its a stock cooler and came with pre-applied thermal paste, I've never had to apply the stuff myself before.) unless someone can tell me that the temps I have are indicative of an improper seating of the cpu cooler fan.

Thanks in advance. (In case it helps, I have a z77-n gigabyte mobo, 8gb crucial memory, HD 7850 2gb gpu, and 600w corsair psu)

drstrangeluv

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
alright, sounds ok to me. So, from what your saying is that remounting the cpu cooler is overkill? Also I agree with the side fan, but you confirmed it further. What's an easy way to switch the direction of the fan without taking it out and flipping it?

drstrangeluv

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
In the picture of the link you posted, thought, the side 80mm fan actually shows air being moved into the case rather than out. regardless, for some reason I think it should be blowing out...

Sorry I looked at the picture wrong, that is weird have no exhaust fans. I would be tempted to try reversing the other 2 fans to exhaust out the front to see if that improves it (it may make it worse). The easyest way to reverse the direction is to remove it and attach it the other way round.

As the others have said that temperature in the 35°C to about 42°C are not out of the norm with the Intel® Core™ i5-3570K and using the stock cooler. Idle temperatures are not always the best solution for judging if you have a problem. Here is a simply trick to make sure that the stock HSF (Heatsink/Fan) is well seated and that does away with one of the more common problems.

Reach in the case and give each of the twist clips around the HSF a pull straight up. If you can pull any of them straight up than they were not seated well and you not going to get as good of cooling as you could.

When I used a stock heatsink for my i5-3570 I was getting almost the exact same temperatures. However, when I switched it out with a Seidon 120M by Cooler Master the Max temperature fell to 59 C running prime95 and the idle to 25-30. A cheap liquid cooler like that would be a good investment if you want better temperatures, lower noise level and overclocking headroom. :)

austin707

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
I'm using the cooler master hyper 212 evo on my core i5 3570k on MSI Z77A GD65. The BIOS shows my cpu temperature as 40C. Is this normal even with this cooler?? I built it two weeks ago. Cpu is running on stock clocks.

Please advise.

drstrangeluv

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Dont check your temps in the BIOS, download RealTemp and use that. BIOS temps are always going to be higher than the systems true idle temp, mine is 50 degrees for example. When you are logged on to your OS, you'll prob see a drop, like I did.

TRENDING THREADS