40 mbps connection but slow streaming

hosterweb

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017
40 mbps connection still slow streaming :

Hi everyone,

I have a 45 Mbps connnection at home with a thoughput of 40 Mbps throughout.

However, sometimes while streaming YouTube videos I experience fast streaming and at other times the video takes more than 30 secs to start ( both times the video was at 1440p) with only one wifi device connected.

At other times I have also experienced google.com load slowly but less frequent.

I have a D-link d-224 modem router with two antennas and 2.4ghz band only.

Is this problem related to:

1. YouTube server
2. My router ( will upgrading to dual band gigabit router help)
3. Wan port of d-link router not competent to stream and has high packet loss.

Kindly assist.

Thanks

Solution
I just did the test again in YouTube and this time ran "stats for nerds" as well
The bandwidth fluctuations is between 0.000 Kbps to 956 Kbps I waited for 40 secs and even though the YouTube bar expanded the video at 1440p never started playing

On other occasions the bandwidth fluctuations is between 1500kbps to 4500 Kbps and during this time videos plays smoothly

Yes, I have 5 other routers in the neighbourhood
So the you tube is working perfectly in your PC? check that and if yes then its your router and how much far you are from your router when streaming videos?
and your router is at 40 Mbps throughout? even its showing that much its not working at that speed so its time to upgrade the router i guess which router you have?

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015

That may be your trouble.

The 2.4 Ghz band is clogged with everyone using it. If you live in, say, an apartment complex you'll notice the same logjam as everyone with a 2.4 Ghz wireless router will overlap each other. I would personally concur with Nitinvaid20 that you may need to invest in a new router.

I had this same trouble trying to watch Netflix and Hulu; I went and invested in a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 router; this has dual band capability: 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz. The 5Ghz band has less traffic on it so your speeds will almost always be consistent. I've had mine for around five months and even though it was a little pricey ($159 when I bought it on sale) I don't regret it for an instant. I've had no buffering or slowdown issues since.

hosterweb

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017
I just did the test again in YouTube and this time ran "stats for nerds" as well
The bandwidth fluctuations is between 0.000 Kbps to 956 Kbps I waited for 40 secs and even though the YouTube bar expanded the video at 1440p never started playing

On other occasions the bandwidth fluctuations is between 1500kbps to 4500 Kbps and during this time videos plays smoothly

Yes, I have 5 other routers in the neighbourhood

Solution

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015

Personally, I would go Gigabit. Especially if you use exclusively WiFi, I see no reason to bottleneck yourself on bandwidth. :)