[SOLVED] 40% utilization on i9 9900k 4.8ghz and RTX 3070 in Battlefield 1?!

Mar 24, 2021
I just booted up bf1 after a long absent.
I noticed I had really bad fps, around 100fps.
I checked with Rivatuner and I had 40-50 gpu and cpu utilization.
The game is running in directx12 off as standard.

No overclocks.

Why is this happening?!

Last edited:
Solution
Yep DX12 is unplayable: 9600kf, rtx 3070! 80ms frame time spikes LUL. Switch to DX11!!! What is your RAM speed, there is 20 fps difference between 2133 and 3200mhz. Also on higher resolutions than Full HD you need faster RAM! I get like 60% usage average on DX11, it is old game so I think it is expected. You should get like 160 average on high/ultra. This is great program to measure it: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...er-and-performance-benchmarking-app-download/ Make sure to disable FSO in compatibility tab!!! And choose Fullscreen in-game. Also for it to work, you need edit this registry. Save as .reg file, backup given registry key first!
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00...
Mar 24, 2021
The game was made during a time with 6 core processors were a luxury, so I can't imagine the game benefiting from something beyond 4-6 cores.

You could try running it in DX12 mode or playing around with "RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit" value in the console.
Using dx12 results in insane spiking and even worse lag.

empleat

Reputable
Dec 16, 2017
Yep DX12 is unplayable: 9600kf, rtx 3070! 80ms frame time spikes LUL. Switch to DX11!!! What is your RAM speed, there is 20 fps difference between 2133 and 3200mhz. Also on higher resolutions than Full HD you need faster RAM! I get like 60% usage average on DX11, it is old game so I think it is expected. You should get like 160 average on high/ultra. This is great program to measure it: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...er-and-performance-benchmarking-app-download/ Make sure to disable FSO in compatibility tab!!! And choose Fullscreen in-game. Also for it to work, you need edit this registry. Save as .reg file, backup given registry key first!
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore]
"GameDVR_DXGIHonorFSEWindowsCompatible"=dword:00000001
"GameDVR_FSEBehavior"=dword:00000002
"GameDVR_FSEBehaviorMode"=dword:00000002
"GameDVR_HonorUserFSEBehaviorMode"=dword:00000001

I also recommend to check out configs, also disable chromatic abberation and all 3 entries you see there. Disable gpu memory restriction. Make sure game is using all cores! Leave 1 core ununsed best core0. Since you have 9900k.

Also make sure to check low latency mode: off in NVCP.
  • Prefer maximum performance
  • switch to GPU scalling (gave me +50 average fps!!!) check override game settings
Also you can try NVCleanInstall and install only display drivers and check disable telemetry - under expert tweak. It helped many people with FPS. Or try 460.40, some people got black screen I think, but some said it helped. I Am currently on 460.40 no problems.

- Make sure GPU is running in PCI-E 3.0/4.0 x16, download gpu-z and run render test, than check.

Last edited:
Solution
BF1 (not to be confused w/ simply 'Battelfield') came out in late 2016, early 2017, and, has done fine scaling for up through at least up to 10 cores/20 threads, as two years ago it was the 7900X giving the best/highest min/average BF1 frame rates in multiplayer games.

However, there have likely been 20 game updates, and, 20 Nvidia drive patches, and, 100 WIndows updates since it's release, any one of which if glitched can botch things up quickly.

I'd first check that my CPU is actually hitting/sustaining at least 4.7 GHz across all cores under load, and that there are no indications of throttling after 30-60 minutes....

Mar 24, 2021
BF1 (not to be confused w/ simply 'Battelfield') came out in late 2016, early 2017, and, has done fine scaling for up through at least up to 10 cores/20 threads, as two years ago it was the 7900X giving the best/highest min/average BF1 frame rates in multiplayer games.

However, there have likely been 20 game updates, and, 20 Nvidia drive patches, and, 100 WIndows updates since it's release, any one of which if glitched can botch things up quickly.

I'd first check that my CPU is actually hitting/sustaining at least 4.7 GHz across all cores under load, and that there are no indications of throttling after 30-60 minutes....

All cores run fine. Around 60c at load.