$400 build questions

Borghal

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
Hey, looking for a replacement PC for a stolen laptop, decided no longer need the mobility of a laptop and essentially all I want is that it runs Witcher III at medium-high and playable fps :)

I saw the "Crusher" build over on reddit PCMR (https://www.reddit.com/r/PCMasterRace/wiki/builds) , which is close to what I configured myself (I guess there's not much variance to be had for the money). But I have questions:

1) Considering using a Pentium G4400 - newest socket, more upgrade paths for the future. Does that make sense, or is the 860k still the better option?

2) DDR4, worth it?

which brings me to 3) If I wanted an intel Skylake and DDR4 RAM, which MB would be good on a budget?

4) I hear there's a new generation of AMD GPUs coming this month, should I wait for that?

BEAR IN MIND, I am from the Czech Republic so prices tend to vary and not everything is available so please recommend stuff that isn't very obscure or unavailable in Europe. No AMD/Intel fanboyism please, appreciate actual arguments and facts. I really couldn't care less about brands, just want what performs better and/or has a better future.

I looked at used PCs, but there aren't that many to choose from around here and besides, not having to worry (too much) about components breaking down for a 2 year warranty period is nice.

Thanks,
Tom

Solution

Ak74Egy

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
1) Pentium isn't that great to begin with for gaming but if you want to upgrade in the future, get the G4400 because it's a skylake processor which would enable you to buy a better skylake processor in the future.
2)DDR4 is worth, not because it's faster (because your max limit is 2133mhz for Pentium), but because again it allows you to avoid buying new RAM when you want to upgrade to skylake.
3)Any B150 Motherboard should be good on budget, Out of experience I would suggest MSI
4)No clue, others will help though :)

As you can see I'm suggesting you to save up for a Skylake Core Processor, uggggh Pentium

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
AMD's RX480 will be $200. It would certainly be the best bang for the buck until the GTX1060 comes out, but I've not seen any dates for that.

Actually, rather then a B150 board, I would go ahead and get the motherboard you would want later on. An H170 if you don't intend to overclock and a Z170 if you do. You can also get faster memory and just run it at 2133 until you replace the processor.

There is no sense investing in an AMD AM3+ or FM2+ platform, there likely won't be any new chips for these, and they are already not really good enough for Witcher III (neither is the pentium though, really)

Mike3k24

Respectable
Apr 21, 2016
Here's a pretty good 400$ build if you'd like to use it!
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($110.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($49.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($26.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($23.10 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card ($119.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $400.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-12 11:30 EDT-0400

Solution

Borghal

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016

Yea that's a nice build, however like I said in the op I'm from the Czech Republic (compared to US currently, wages x 0.4, electronics prices x 1.3) and that build you linked is ~$580 over here. A little over my budget atm :(

I think I'll wait until the new Radeons come out and save a bit more money in the process.