[SOLVED] 4000+Mhz ram, with a motherboard that only supports 3866Mhz

Mar 23, 2020
I am buying a new z270 motherboard which supports ram speeds up to 3866Mhz, some of the ram im looking at is advertised as 4000Mhz or higher. Will i have any difficulties running this ram on my z270 board, will i be able to use the XMP profile for 4000Mhz and then it will be automatically downclocked to 3866Mhz. Or will i need to setup my own ram speed and timing settings in the bios.

For example, this ram https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...-x-8-gb-ddr4-4000-memory-r020d408gx2-4000c19a.

Thanks for your help

Solution
Use of memory with exotic speeds is for experienced overclockers. Some who asks, "Will i have any difficulties running this..." might keep that in mind. Are you an experienced overclocker?

The Kaby Lake overclocking guide - Edge Up
Memory frequency: The best CPU samples can achieve speeds of DDR4-4133 with four DIMMs (ROG Maximus IX series of motherboards needed). DDR4-4266 is possible on the Maximus IX Apex. For mainstream use, we recommend opting for a memory kit rated no faster than DDR4-3600.
Use of memory with exotic speeds is for experienced overclockers. Some who asks, "Will i have any difficulties running this..." might keep that in mind. Are you an experienced overclocker?

The Kaby Lake overclocking guide - Edge Up
Memory frequency: The best CPU samples can achieve speeds of DDR4-4133 with four DIMMs (ROG Maximus IX series of motherboards needed). DDR4-4266 is possible on the Maximus IX Apex. For mainstream use, we recommend opting for a memory kit rated no faster than DDR4-3600.

Solution