Jun 7, 2014
is a 400w power supply enough for this setup

i7-4790 Processor
16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR3-1600 ram
GeForce GTX 750 - 2GB
Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H
1 tb Hardrive 7200rpm

Solution
I am almost sure most motherboard makers are not enabling these ultra lower power states by default.

Now it is also important to know that in a system with other hardware like video cards and hard drives/ect you may just get by with enough power for the psu to work fine.

I have a system that idled at 25-35 watt area at the wall without issues. since many hard drives take 7-10 watts and motherboards take a bit of power too, you may just make it.

Also note that not all 400 watt power supplies are created equally, so some simply provide more 12 volt power than others.

SR-71 Blackbird's recommendation would give you a good bit of extra for that system and is tested for those new cpus with all the power savings enabled.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Yup, C7 drops processor usage to a level that can sometimes cause the under-voltage protection to kick in. All things being equal, it makes sense to choose the Haswell-ready PSU but it's not something to get super-excited about.

I am almost sure most motherboard makers are not enabling these ultra lower power states by default.

Now it is also important to know that in a system with other hardware like video cards and hard drives/ect you may just get by with enough power for the psu to work fine.

I have a system that idled at 25-35 watt area at the wall without issues. since many hard drives take 7-10 watts and motherboards take a bit of power too, you may just make it.

Also note that not all 400 watt power supplies are created equally, so some simply provide more 12 volt power than others.

SR-71 Blackbird's recommendation would give you a good bit of extra for that system and is tested for those new cpus with all the power savings enabled.

Solution