400W PSU for a Radeon HD 5770

G

Hey,
I'm planning on getting a new GFX card tommorow. Since I'm on a budget, and am able to get a 5770 for just 150 euros, I thought it would fit my system just fine. However, I'm kinda worried that my PSU won't be able to handle it, since the ATI website recommends 450W or higher for the card. These are my system specs:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P
4GB DDR3-1333MHz
400W Corsair PSU

I've heard that Corsair PSU's are very good and reliable: so can I trust that this 400W PSU will be able to handle the 5770? Or should I be better off buying a 450W PSU?

Thanks in advance,
Jonas

G

Thanks for the quick response :)
I'll head out and get the 5770 then :D

Sure. A 5770 needs, at most, about 8 amps. Figure about 12 amps for your CPU. That leaves about 120 watts for everything else plus a reserve.

And the 400CX is a pretty good PSU.

It's not about total watts, it is about how many amps the PSU can supply on the 12 volt rails. That PSU will run a 5770 just fine. The reason they say 450 is because at 450 total watts, even a cheaply made generic PSU should have enough juice to run the card. A well made brand name PSU like you have will supply a hefty dose of good clean power even though the overall wattage is not as high as what is recommended on the box.

hopar

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
ya got to love the 5 series ATI cards, efficient as heck! Just think that competitor for this card from Nvidia is the 260, a freaking tank of a card... lol!