triage

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2005
MSI MPG B650I Edge WiFi Gaming Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64GB (2x32GB) 5600MHz
PNY GeForce RTX™ 4070
Corsair SF Series, SF750

I recently built a new SFFPC. My problem occurs whenever I have my 4070 RTX card installed. The system is sluggish and within a few minutes the machine either: gets a BSOD hypervisor error, or more commonly, the screen goes blank, there is no video signal, and the system reboots.

I have done the following to try to fix the problem:
-Windows 11 have been freshly installed multiple times
-I have the newest NVIDIA and BIOS drivers.
-My temps are stable around 50 degrees
-I changed my PCIE down to GEN3 - per another thread I read

When I unplug my riser cable from my motherboard and use my iGPU, the system boots up and works without any issue.This makes me believe that my issue is either the GPU or PSU. If someone could help guide me it would be greatly appreciated.

Below is the event manager and a Whocrashed errors to hopefully assist in diagnosing this problem.

Event Manager:

The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer. If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:
\Device\0000007e Restarting TDR occurred on GPUID:100
The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

WhoCrashed Analysis:
Windows version: Windows 11, 10.0, version 2009, build: 22621 (x64) Windows dir: C:\Windows Hardware: MS-7D73, Micro-Star International Co., Ltd., MPG B650I EDGE WIFI (MS-7D73) CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-Core Processor 8664, level: 25 Processor count: 16 logical processors, active mask: 65535 RAM: 64672.6MB

Crash Dump Analysis
Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Sat 7/1/2023 1:40:18 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\070123-11078-01.dmp (Minidump) Bugcheck code: 0x20001(0x13, 0x0, 0x29B92701, 0xFFFFE70000405A30) Bugcheck name: HYPERVISOR_ERROR Bug check description: The hypervisor has encountered a fatal error. Analysis: This is likely a software problem which means that it was probably caused by a bug in a driver.

There is a possibility that this is caused by memory corruption. Memory corruption can be caused by a faulty driver, faulty RAM, overheating and more. Read this article on memory corruption. Read this article on thermal issues On Sat 7/1/2023 1:03:51 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported Crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\070123-9875-01.dmp (Minidump) Bugcheck code: 0x119(0x2, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000D, 0xFFFFAF0C8AA6D2A0, 0xFFFF9D890BE526A0) Bugcheck name: VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR Driver or module in which error occurred: watchdog.sys (watchdog+0x5685) File path: watchdog.sys Description: Watchdog Driver Product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Company: Microsoft Corporation Bug check description: This indicates that the video scheduler has detected a fatal violation. Analysis: This is a video related crash.

On Sat 7/1/2023 5:05:36 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\070123-7375-01.dmp (Minidump)
Bugcheck code: 0x20001(0x13, 0x0, 0x29B92701, 0xFFFFE70000A05960) Bugcheck name: HYPERVISOR_ERROR Bug check description: The hypervisor has encountered a fatal error. Analysis: This is likely a software problem which means that it was probably caused by a bug in a driver. There is a possibility that this is caused by memory corruption. Memory corruption can be caused by a faulty driver, faulty RAM, overheating and more. Read this article on memory corruption. Read this article on thermal issues

th3reaperskullpt

Prominent
Dec 27, 2022
MSI MPG B650I Edge WiFi Gaming Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64GB (2x32GB) 5600MHz
PNY GeForce RTX™ 4070
Corsair SF Series, SF750

I recently built a new SFFPC. My problem occurs whenever I have my 4070 RTX card installed. The system is sluggish and within a few minutes the machine either: gets a BSOD hypervisor error, or more commonly, the screen goes blank, there is no video signal, and the system reboots.

I have done the following to try to fix the problem:
-Windows 11 have been freshly installed multiple times
-I have the newest NVIDIA and BIOS drivers.
-My temps are stable around 50 degrees
-I changed my PCIE down to GEN3 - per another thread I read

When I unplug my riser cable from my motherboard and use my iGPU, the system boots up and works without any issue.This makes me believe that my issue is either the GPU or PSU. If someone could help guide me it would be greatly appreciated.

Below is the event manager and a Whocrashed errors to hopefully assist in diagnosing this problem.

Event Manager:
The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer. If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:
\Device\0000007e Restarting TDR occurred on GPUID:100
The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

WhoCrashed Analysis:
Windows version: Windows 11, 10.0, version 2009, build: 22621 (x64) Windows dir: C:\Windows Hardware: MS-7D73, Micro-Star International Co., Ltd., MPG B650I EDGE WIFI (MS-7D73) CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-Core Processor 8664, level: 25 Processor count: 16 logical processors, active mask: 65535 RAM: 64672.6MB

Crash Dump Analysis
Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Sat 7/1/2023 1:40:18 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\070123-11078-01.dmp (Minidump) Bugcheck code: 0x20001(0x13, 0x0, 0x29B92701, 0xFFFFE70000405A30) Bugcheck name: HYPERVISOR_ERROR Bug check description: The hypervisor has encountered a fatal error. Analysis: This is likely a software problem which means that it was probably caused by a bug in a driver.

There is a possibility that this is caused by memory corruption. Memory corruption can be caused by a faulty driver, faulty RAM, overheating and more. Read this article on memory corruption. Read this article on thermal issues On Sat 7/1/2023 1:03:51 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported Crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\070123-9875-01.dmp (Minidump) Bugcheck code: 0x119(0x2, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000D, 0xFFFFAF0C8AA6D2A0, 0xFFFF9D890BE526A0) Bugcheck name: VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR Driver or module in which error occurred: watchdog.sys (watchdog+0x5685) File path: watchdog.sys Description: Watchdog Driver Product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Company: Microsoft Corporation Bug check description: This indicates that the video scheduler has detected a fatal violation. Analysis: This is a video related crash.

On Sat 7/1/2023 5:05:36 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\070123-7375-01.dmp (Minidump)
Bugcheck code: 0x20001(0x13, 0x0, 0x29B92701, 0xFFFFE70000A05960) Bugcheck name: HYPERVISOR_ERROR Bug check description: The hypervisor has encountered a fatal error. Analysis: This is likely a software problem which means that it was probably caused by a bug in a driver. There is a possibility that this is caused by memory corruption. Memory corruption can be caused by a faulty driver, faulty RAM, overheating and more. Read this article on memory corruption. Read this article on thermal issues

Let's go by parts to try to help you as much as possible, starting bad right away because you are insisting on Windows 11.
My advice is to start here, install a version of Windows 10 and reset the settings in the BIOS.
This looks more like a problem with drivers conflicting with the OS, so before installing the garbage that is the operating system, do some research. It is true that the 11 operating system is visually more beautiful, but that's about it.

If it's not the OS, we can already assume other things, the power supply has nothing to do with it.

triage

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2005
Let's go by parts to try to help you as much as possible, starting bad right away because you are insisting on Windows 11.
My advice is to start here, install a version of Windows 10 and reset the settings in the BIOS.
This looks more like a problem with drivers conflicting with the OS, so before installing the garbage that is the operating system, do some research. It is true that the 11 operating system is visually more beautiful, but that's about it.

If it's not the OS, we can already assume other things, the power supply has nothing to do with it.
There's no insisting on Windows 11. It's just what got installed. I will install 10 and report back.

Reactions: th3reaperskullpt

triage

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2005

I finally got around to a fresh install of Windows 10 this morning.

It first booted with the iGPU with no issues. Then I plugged in my riser cable and restarted the computer using my 4070 as the video display. Upon reboot there was majoring shuttering. Device manager recognized the GPU but everything was running poorly.

I attempted to install the newest NVIDIA drivers when I encountered the same issues as before. The screen just goes black and the computer freezes. The drivers were not installed due to the freeze.

I then booted back into windows with the iGPU and tried to install the drivers again and everything was going smoothly until I got a BSOD with the error DCP_WATCHDOG-VIOLATION.

Something of note: the computer was running smoothly for 3 days prior to these issues. While playing Diablo it had it's first crash and then after that it progressively got worse to the point just working on the desktop would cause crashes.

Reactions: th3reaperskullpt

th3reaperskullpt

Prominent
Dec 27, 2022
I finally got around to a fresh install of Windows 10 this morning.

It first booted with the iGPU with no issues. Then I plugged in my riser cable and restarted the computer using my 4070 as the video display. Upon reboot there was majoring shuttering. Device manager recognized the GPU but everything was running poorly.

I attempted to install the newest NVIDIA drivers when I encountered the same issues as before. The screen just goes black and the computer freezes. The drivers were not installed due to the freeze.

I then booted back into windows with the iGPU and tried to install the drivers again and everything was going smoothly until I got a BSOD with the error DCP_WATCHDOG-VIOLATION.

Something of note: the computer was running smoothly for 3 days prior to these issues. While playing Diablo it had it's first crash and then after that it progressively got worse to the point just working on the desktop would cause crashes.

What if you don't use the riser adapter? Try it.