Question Powering a 4070 Super 12-pin with 1 split PCIe cable ?

gary_murphy101

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
I've just built my system and am about to install the GPU. I have an Evga Supernova G5 750w gold PSU and a 4070 Super Windforce OC GPU. The PSU only has one PCIe cable but it has two 6+2 connectors on it. Will I be able to plug both into the 12-pin extension or will that lead to issues?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2731765

I've just built my system and am about to install the GPU. I have an Evga Supernova G5 750w gold PSU and a 4070 Super Windforce OC GPU. The PSU only has one PCIe cable but it has two 6+2 connectors on it. Will I be able to plug both into the 12-pin extension or will that lead to issues?
Your GPU comes with a 2 x 8-pin PCIe to 12VHPWR adapter that you can use with your PSU's PCIe cables.

And your current EVGA PSU has "6x 8pin (6+2)" cables, so there should not be any issue. So, just use the GPU's included adapter. It shouldn't matter if the 8-PIN cable is a split, i.e. 6+2.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N407SWF3OC-12GD/sp#sp
  • Accessories
    1. Quick guide
    2. One 16 pin two 8-pin power adapter

gary_murphy101

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Your GPU comes with a 2 x 8-pin PCIe to 12VHPWR adapter that you can use with your PSU's PCIe cables.

And your current EVGA PSU has "6x 8pin (6+2)" cables, so there should not be any issue. So, just use the GPU's included adapter. It shouldn't matter if the 8-PIN cable is a split, i.e. 6+2.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N407SWF3OC-12GD/sp#sp
  • Accessories
    1. Quick guide
    2. One 16 pin two 8-pin power adapter
Can I just clarify that I only have 1 pcie cable with a daisy chain. So two 6+2 connectors from the one cable. Will it still work or do I need 2 separate pcie cables to the psu for it to work

gary_murphy101

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
psu only has one pcie cable but it has two 6+2 connectors on it
what happened to the rest of them?
there were at least 4 separate 6+2 PCIe cables that came with the PSU.
220-G5-0750-X1_XL_3.png

you may just need to buy more from EVGA,
don't trust cheaper 3rd party options that may claim they work with these units.

Can I just clarify that I only have 1 pcie cable...do I need 2 separate pcie cables
you should be using 2 separate PCIe cables leading to the GPU's included adapter.

Reactions: boju

gary_murphy101

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
220-G5-0750-X1_XL_3.png

don't trust cheaper 3rd party options that may claim they work with these units.

you should be using 2 separate PCIe cables leading to the GPU's included adapter.
I got it from my brother who misplaced the rest. It was barley used. I'm seeing to many people say that it works fine and has done for months with the daisy chain. I've installed it now just to test the gpu is working fine and will order another offical evga pcie. Thanks for the advice

gary_murphy101

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
220-G5-0750-X1_XL_3.png

I have just purchased a genuine cable which will arrive in a few days. Pc it totally set up and
All drivers are Installed. How much of a risk would I be taking to use it for a few days as is ? Thanks

boju

Titan
Ambassador
This is what Corsair says about using a single cable. Running into trouble starts around and over 288w.

Your card draws around 239w at full load. Pcie slot also provides power so say it could be 75w less, around 164w demanded via the pcie cable. Im not certain of that though.

https://gamersnexus.net/gpus/nvidia...-rx-7800-xt-more#4070-super-power-consumption

The numbers suggest it's safe but depending on psu / cable quality, it'll be wise to use the second cable when it comes. In the meantime it'll probably be alright to use, just don't stress the card too much.

https://gamersnexus.net/gpus/nvidia...-rx-7800-xt-more#4070-super-power-consumption

Last edited:

Joseph_138

Distinguished
You shouldn't try to power this card with a single PCIe connector from the power supply. You should be using two cables from two connectors. Another thing, if you don't have all of the original power cables that came with the PSU, don't try using power cables from a different PSU. That almost always ends in tragedy. You should only use the cables that the manufacturer shipped with the power supply.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

Latest posts