pro2legendary

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2015
Hello, I have several questions and I hope someone could help me out
1- I am running an 750watt corsair PSU with an intel i7 9700k and gtx 1080ti just now upgrading to a 4070ti, and getting a 13700k a couple of months after. my question is will the old ATX 2.0 PSU cause any issues with the 4070ti? as I Heard about a couple of GPU's burning and I don't want to run that risk.

2-My case is an NZXT H710i and im thinking of getting the thermaltake pearl assassin 120 cpu cooler, the thing is i have 4 sticks of ddr4 corsair vengence RGB ram so will the cooler fit with the 4 sticks of ram or will it cause any issues? and if anyone has experience would the CPU cooler being close to the GPU cause any problems?

3-someone told me to move the fan of the cup cooler to the opposite side to have more ram clearance but will that cause any issues in the air distribution of the case? as the cpu cooler fan will be right next to the case's singular fan on the back

thank you so much and sorry in advance for the long questions.

Lutfij

Titan
1|
750watt corsair PSU
Corsair is the brand of the unit, while 750W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the model of the unit in your build? How old is the unit in question?

2| Make and model of your motherboard and the rams you're working with? Corsair have a couple of Vengeance RGB rams in their portfolio.

thermaltake pearl assassin 120
Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE

3| If you do end up moving the front fan to the back of the cooler, you could just remove the rear exhaust fan for the case and let the cooler's fan exhaust the case air.

septune

Prominent
Dec 17, 2022
Hi, I just wanted to make sure you aren't talking about the issue with the 12 volt high power adapter, which has been resolved by the Youtube Channel Gamer's Nexus and confirmed by nVidia. If that's your concern, then worry not, because it was due to user error that the adapters were catching fire - they were not fully seated in the GPU, causing a short. The adapters don't have an audible click as regular connectors do.

Something else worthy of note, for LGA1700 motherboards/CPU's, the default CPU retention bracket causes poor CPU cooler contact with the lid, because it bends the CPU lid by putting uneven tension on it. I highly recommend buying a thermalright CPU contact frame to replace it with. There are also ones by Thermal Grizzly, but they're much more expensive. There were several reviews available on these contact frames and all showed significant thermal improvements.

Regarding the heatsink, the fans can be moved up or down the cooler to make room for your ram. They have a latching mechanism similar to the Noctua ones. You can also orient the cooler vertically, to be blowing air to the top of the case, though orientation could potentially interfere with the GPU if you are using the top pci-e slot. A horizontal orientation (blowing air towards the back of the case) would not interfere with the GPU. Lastly, you can also simply remove one of the fans.

Last edited:

pro2legendary

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2015
1|
750watt corsair PSU
Corsair is the brand of the unit, while 750W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the model of the unit in your build? How old is the unit in question?

2| Make and model of your motherboard and the rams you're working with? Corsair have a couple of Vengeance RGB rams in their portfolio.

thermaltake pearl assassin 120
Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE

3| If you do end up moving the front fan to the back of the cooler, you could just remove the rear exhaust fan for the case and let the cooler's fan exhaust the case air.

1- The PSU is a corsair 750cx or a cxm I am not entirely sure as it is 5+ years old

2- the motherboard I plan to use with the new CPU is the GIGABYTE Z790 D DDR4 and the ram im using is the Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 Enthusiast RGB LED Illuminated Memory Kit - Black , I am currently using a Nepton240 MM AIO which has been with me for nearly 6 years and gives an idle temp to the I7 9700K of 32-35 and under 95% load it goes up to 75 at times, would you suggest a change for the i7 13700k? or should I stick with my AIO till further notice

pro2legendary

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2015
Hi, I just wanted to make sure you aren't talking about the issue with the 12 volt high power adapter, which has been resolved by the Youtube Channel Gamer's Nexus and confirmed by nVidia. If that's your concern, then worry not, because it was due to user error that the adapters were catching fire - they were not fully seated in the GPU, causing a short. The adapters don't have an audible click as regular connectors do.

Something else worthy of note, for LGA1700 motherboards/CPU's, the default CPU retention bracket causes poor CPU cooler contact with the lid, because it bends the CPU lid by putting uneven tension on it. I highly recommend buying a thermalright CPU contact frame to replace it with. There are also ones by Thermal Grizzly, but they're much more expensive. There were several reviews available on these contact frames and all showed significant thermal improvements.

Regarding the heatsink, the fans can be moved up or down the cooler to make room for your ram. They have a latching mechanism similar to the Noctua ones. You can also orient the cooler vertically, to be blowing air to the top of the case, though orientation could potentially interfere with the GPU if you are using the top pci-e slot. A horizontal orientation (blowing air towards the back of the case) would not interfere with the GPU. Lastly, you can also simply remove one of the fans.

Yes this is the exact issue I was talking about as the GPU is quite pricey and I wouldn't want it catching on fire due some stupid cord error :D good to hear that it was a simple issue. thank you

Reactions: septune

Lutfij

Titan
Is it the one with the grey label or the green label?

I would look into a reliably built 850W unit when you're going out to purchase that GPU. A 5 year old unit will not output the same amount of power as it did when brand new due to internal wear and tear.

pro2legendary

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2015
green lable
^ Take that PSU out of the rig and toss it into a bin. It does not belong in any system, cheap or expensive. I stand behind the suggestion to get a new PSU while purchasing the GPU.

Question is, the atx 3,0 psu's are quite new and are a bit more expensive than the 2.0 ATX psu's so what would u suggest ? or will there be no actual difference ?

septune

Prominent
Dec 17, 2022
Question is, the atx 3,0 psu's are quite new and are a bit more expensive than the 2.0 ATX psu's so what would u suggest ? or will there be no actual difference ?

It depends how much you can afford and how much you care. The adapters for 12VHP work just fine, you just need to make sure you are putting it in all the way into the card. It does seem to be like it's going to be the new standard for all nVidia's new cards in the future. While it doesn't really matter if you have to use two 8pins for a 12VHP adapter, you might just want to have a natural 12VHP on your PSU, since it will be relevant for any future cards, if you plan on keeping the PSU a long time. That said, it doesn't make a difference in the actual power delivery.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

You don't have to use one of the new format PSUs. The problem with your old PSU isn't that it isn't an ATX 3.0 PSU, it's that it's decade-old junk. Even the better gray label ones -- Corsair upgraded their budget line from junk to respectable around 2015 -- aren't appropriate to use with a 4070 Ti. A 4070 Ti means a top tier PSU or just binning the whole idea.

Reactions: Lutfij

pro2legendary

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2015
You don't have to use one of the new format PSUs. The problem with your old PSU isn't that it isn't an ATX 3.0 PSU, it's that it's decade-old junk. Even the better gray label ones -- Corsair upgraded their budget line from junk to respectable around 2015 -- aren't appropriate to use with a 4070 Ti. A 4070 Ti means a top tier PSU or just binning the whole idea.
is this considered a good psu ? https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-RM85...fos.08f69ac3-fd3d-4b88-bca2-8997e41410bb&th=1

septune

Prominent
Dec 17, 2022
The burning adapter was user error, not the card, and it affected 4090s, not 4080s and not 4070Ti's. It shouldn't cause issues. The PSU you linked above is decent.

I think that's because it was the only card out at the time, but I don't see why it wouldn't still occur with the other cards if the cable isn't seated properly. The PSU he linked to has a natural 12vhp cable connector on it though.