Question 4070ti/5800x3d stuttering/frametime spikes.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheAlmightySkeletor

Commendable
Jul 30, 2020
Hello all I honestly don't know where to begin with this, I recently built my first rig after returning those prebuilts long ago (posted here a few times years ago) and built a 6700xt, 5600x, MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk Max, G Skill Trident Z 2x16gb 3600mhz CL18, Samsung 980 1tb, Corsair rm750, corsair 4000D ,Hyper 212. It was the first time I witnessed these stutters/frametime spikes. After a while trying to resolve it I ended up selling the 6700xt and 5600x and RM750, grabbing a 5800x3D 3070 and a RMX850. Once again it was stuttering so I thought maybe it was a VRAM issue. Bought the 4070TI Asus TUF OC and we're back full circle. I really can't figure this out to save my life the gpu temp avgs around 65c while cpu is 73-75c avg nothing seems to be maxing out in fact in most games I can't get my GPU to utilize near the 90s regardless I get gpu usage drops which give me these stutters. i have tested xmp off and on, CPCC Preferred cores off, PSS support off, (Not daisy chaining using one end per connection) clean installed to w11 22h2, and w10 22h2. Here's a imgur link to my latest 3dmark run if anyone has any ideas what this could be I would deeply appreciate the feedback, I just want to enjoy this PC properly lol. : ( View: https://imgur.com/a/GMbFlv1

TheAlmightySkeletor

Commendable
Jul 30, 2020
Hey, do you have an update on this? I’ve been getting stutters on my 5800x3d and I’ve replaced EVERYTHING with no luck. I’m looking at my ram too since it’s not on my mobo QVL but on the G.Skill QVL
Unfortunately i haven’t tested this theory yet but it’s my only lead so far. I’m looking to replace the ram as soon as I get bills situated but I have noticed some games run completely flawless while others don’t. It’s really just me speculating I’ve talked with a few people in discord as well and got mixed responses. While generally QVL shouldn’t matter it’s more so an xmp issue from what I’m getting. If it’s unstable you have to manually set the timings, voltages and sub timings but that is a long process. I personally tested this and with manually adjusted timings and voltages it did seem to perform better than stock xmp but still had the underlying stutter. Turning xmp off reduces my speed to 2667 so I’m assuming it’s too slow at full stock. I’ve just been trying to play what i can for now as im 99% sure it’s not a damaged part somewhere.

ttencza

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2012
Unfortunately i haven’t tested this theory yet but it’s my only lead so far. I’m looking to replace the ram as soon as I get bills situated but I have noticed some games run completely flawless while others don’t. It’s really just me speculating I’ve talked with a few people in discord as well and got mixed responses. While generally QVL shouldn’t matter it’s more so an xmp issue from what I’m getting. If it’s unstable you have to manually set the timings, voltages and sub timings but that is a long process. I personally tested this and with manually adjusted timings and voltages it did seem to perform better than stock xmp but still had the underlying stutter. Turning xmp off reduces my speed to 2667 so I’m assuming it’s too slow at full stock. I’ve just been trying to play what i can for now as im 99% sure it’s not a damaged part somewhere.
Shoot, well it looks like we are in the same boat! I just noticed that you have the same ram that I have (Trident Z Neo 3600mhz). However, mine is the cl16 but I’m sure that doesn’t make that huge of a difference in this case.
I also just went through my motherboard QVL and bought This Corsair 3200mhz kit. I’ll let you know how it goes and hopefully save you from wasting more time trying to troubleshoot!
If that doesn’t work, I’ll probably be returning everything/selling parts to go back to Intel. I’m so confused how the X3D has such a huge following if this is how it runs.