Question 4070ti/5800x3d stuttering/frametime spikes.

TheAlmightySkeletor

Commendable
Jul 30, 2020
Hello all I honestly don't know where to begin with this, I recently built my first rig after returning those prebuilts long ago (posted here a few times years ago) and built a 6700xt, 5600x, MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk Max, G Skill Trident Z 2x16gb 3600mhz CL18, Samsung 980 1tb, Corsair rm750, corsair 4000D ,Hyper 212. It was the first time I witnessed these stutters/frametime spikes. After a while trying to resolve it I ended up selling the 6700xt and 5600x and RM750, grabbing a 5800x3D 3070 and a RMX850. Once again it was stuttering so I thought maybe it was a VRAM issue. Bought the 4070TI Asus TUF OC and we're back full circle. I really can't figure this out to save my life the gpu temp avgs around 65c while cpu is 73-75c avg nothing seems to be maxing out in fact in most games I can't get my GPU to utilize near the 90s regardless I get gpu usage drops which give me these stutters. i have tested xmp off and on, CPCC Preferred cores off, PSS support off, (Not daisy chaining using one end per connection) clean installed to w11 22h2, and w10 22h2. Here's a imgur link to my latest 3dmark run if anyone has any ideas what this could be I would deeply appreciate the feedback, I just want to enjoy this PC properly lol. : ( View: https://imgur.com/a/GMbFlv1

As you're new to building, I do have to ask. Do you know what XMP is and did you enable it?
Not saying this is a RAM issue, but if your 3600 RAM is only running at 2133, you're losing a lot of performance.

If you've enabled XMP, I'm thinking it's either a power issue, or it's a software/driver issue.

TheAlmightySkeletor

Commendable
Jul 30, 2020
As you're new to building, I do have to ask. Do you know what XMP is and did you enable it?
Not saying this is a RAM issue, but if your 3600 RAM is only running at 2133, you're losing a lot of performance.

If you've enabled XMP, I'm thinking it's either a power issue, or it's a software/driver issue.
Yes I know what XMP is I tested it off and on to no avail. Not really sure what it could be I replaced the PSU already (originally had the following specs) 5600x, 6700xt, RM750 everything else the same, then I sold the 5600x for the 3D and a 3070. Returned 3070 for the 4070TI.

pds41

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2013
Have you tried stress testing the CPU to see what it's hitting on full core load and boost? It feels like this isn't going to be to do with the graphics card.

TheAlmightySkeletor

Commendable
Jul 30, 2020
Have you noticed stutters on specific games or in every game in general ? Have u done any settings like setting up page file/disabling game mode,etc ?
I haven't messed with page files but I did turn off game bar and game mode. I really can't say it seems like nearly most of the games I've played stutter while maybe one or two are fine. The two being relatively good are Battlefront 2 and Battlefield 1, RE2, MW2, RDR2, Gears 5, Mordhau, Insurgency, Outlast stutter but some are worse than others. Some are relatively minor and some are really big hitches. Doesn't seem to have a pattern either in game.

pds41

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2013
I haven't stressed the CPU in specific I did run 3dmark, Heaven benchmark and Kombuster, is there a good test benchmark for the CPU?

Free Stress Test Tool HeavyLoad | JAM Software (jam-software.com)

I like HeavyLoad - can do GPU as well if you want. It's less a benchmark, more a synthetic test. Run it for up to 10 minutes or so and see what it does to temperatures. I've got a similar system (on a B450 board though); I idle at 30ish and after 10 minutes temps are up to 72ish (don't panic if they immediately jump to 50-60 degrees when you press go). Have Ryzen master or something running at the same time so you can see clock speeds and temps.

TheAlmightySkeletor

Commendable
Jul 30, 2020
Free Stress Test Tool HeavyLoad | JAM Software (jam-software.com)

I like HeavyLoad - can do GPU as well if you want. It's less a benchmark, more a synthetic test. Run it for up to 10 minutes or so and see what it does to temperatures. I've got a similar system (on a B450 board though); I idle at 30ish and after 10 minutes temps are up to 72ish (don't panic if they immediately jump to 50-60 degrees when you press go). Have Ryzen master or something running at the same time so you can see clock speeds and temps.
I know it's just 5 mins but I ran the test and clocks seem to bounce around 4200mhz-4175mhz-41500mhz while the first two cores stayed pretty much at 4200mhz, GPU usage bounced around a lot from 89-90-97 back down etc. View: https://imgur.com/a/mKDWJJF
imgur link to AB monitor screen

pds41

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2013
Hmm - that doesn't look too bad for a few minutes of running. I'm assuming the drop off at the end was when you turned off the test. I was wondering if the CPU wasn't firing on all cylinders, but doesn't look that way.

Going back to the GPU, if you run Superposition benchmark, do you get 97-100% on the GPU?

Also, did you reinstall the OS at any point with all that swapping of components? You probably shouldn't need to, but sometimes helps if you've got a mess of old drivers.

TheAlmightySkeletor

Commendable
Jul 30, 2020
Hmm - that doesn't look too bad for a few minutes of running. I'm assuming the drop off at the end was when you turned off the test. I was wondering if the CPU wasn't firing on all cylinders, but doesn't look that way.

Going back to the GPU, if you run Superposition benchmark, do you get 97-100% on the GPU?

Also, did you reinstall the OS at any point with all that swapping of components? You probably shouldn't need to, but sometimes helps if you've got a mess of old drivers.
Yeah that drop off was me shutting down the program I don't have superposition going to download that right now and get back with the results

When I swapped parts I did to be safe, clean installed windows 10 and DDU'D both AMD and Nvidia drivers and grabbed the latest, grabbed chipsets and all mobo drivers from MSI (chipsets from AMD directly), it really is a ghost problem I swear lol

pds41

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2013
It's a weird one all right. You've got a good board, good ram, good setup but weird stuttering. I just ran the HeavyLoad test; it seemed to incrementally increase GPU usage, but it ended up hitting 99/100% under 10 minutes in.

Hard thing with a 4070ti is finding a game that would max it out - I had Grid Legends going; that only got near max usage in a rain storm race. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the games that you quoted above, so can't test them myself.

TheAlmightySkeletor

Commendable
Jul 30, 2020
Sorry guys crashed last night I apologize for leaving everyone in the dust, some weird things were happening last night I was putting on xmp in bios and restart. randomly get sent to a BOSD it resets, thinking no big deal until the entire display goes blank with VGA light on (pretty sure the GPU is fine tbh) had to force shut down then it gave me a "your bios has been damaged, please reflash to enter" screen. Did I get a ghost rig? lmao has to be a motherboard or psu issue? I did replace the PSU already though as I originally had a RM750. the only parts I haven't changed is the MOBO, RAM and SSD. I did throw memtest on while I was sleeping passed with no errors for both cpu and ram. So lost on this fr.

Have you cleared CMOS since you installed the new CPU? The memory controller is on the CPU and is likely using the memory training from the previous CPU on the new CPU. If you clear CMOS the motherboard should do a new set of memory training for the current CPU. This may help with the issue. Remember to set up DOCP/ XMP profile after you clear CMOS.

TheAlmightySkeletor

Commendable
Jul 30, 2020
Have you cleared CMOS since you installed the new CPU? The memory controller is on the CPU and is likely using the memory training from the previous CPU on the new CPU. If you clear CMOS the motherboard should do a new set of memory training for the current CPU. This may help with the issue. Remember to set up DOCP/ XMP profile after you clear CMOS.
Just cleared the CMOS and enabled XMP back on tested a few games (PUBG, RE2, RE4 Chainsaw Demo, Paint The Town Red) RE2 seems to be the only one that's relatively minor in stuttering, RE4 doesn't even utilize 30% of my gpu and paint the town red varies between 95-75%. Seems like more CPU gets used but I don't have anything running in the background besides steam and the games.

TheAlmightySkeletor

Commendable
Jul 30, 2020
Nothing out of the ordinary that I can see.
Huh.. Maybe it's just the games themselves not being optimized for the 4000 series yet? It really has me stumped, I measured someones benchmark of RE4 1440p same gpu seems to be the exact same performance from the drop at the first building to the massive stuttering at the end village. I would say maybe my cooling isn't good but despite it being a hyper 212 the cpu doesn't reach over 70s didn't think that's a problem. If anyone has more methods to run through just let me know :)

Reactions: helper800

TheAlmightySkeletor

Commendable
Jul 30, 2020
So one last update with my findings, firstly I apologize for keeping this up. I guess I really don't know when to give it up lol. but I kept getting a "system" with PID 4 in my resource monitor, I looked this up and apparently it means something hardware related? Anyways I looked up my RAM set and it doesn't meet QVL for my max wifi, it's compatible with the regular tomahawk but not max wifi.. I feel like an idiot tbh this could definitely explain a lot yeah? Thanks fellas :)

So one last update with my findings, firstly I apologize for keeping this up. I guess I really don't know when to give it up lol. but I kept getting a "system" with PID 4 in my resource monitor, I looked this up and apparently it means something hardware related? Anyways I looked up my RAM set and it doesn't meet QVL for my max wifi, it's compatible with the regular tomahawk but not max wifi.. I feel like an idiot tbh this could definitely explain a lot yeah? Thanks fellas :)
Maybe. We shall see I guess.

ttencza

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2012
Hey, do you have an update on this? I’ve been getting stutters on my 5800x3d and I’ve replaced EVERYTHING with no luck. I’m looking at my ram too since it’s not on my mobo QVL but on the G.Skill QVL