Question 4070ti not working as expected

Slusher

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
I went from a MSI Ventus 2080 super to a ASUS TUF 4070ti. Oddly though, I noticed that after testing some games with similar settings, my performance is either the same or worse with the 4070ti. I pull up task manager or gpu tweak III, and it looks like my GPU is barely even being utilized and the fans aren't even spinning. Playing games like witcher 3 and cyberpunk, getting a lot lower frames than anticipated. Is this an installation issue or a BIOS/driver issue? I see my graphics card in device manager and gpu tweak, so I know it is there.
Rest of my specs
850w PSU
i7-10700k
24gb ddr4 ram
ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING motherboard

Some advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Run the video card through a graphics only benchmark like Ungine Superposition or 3DMark Time Spy (the free version of 3DMark provides this). If it's within what reviewers have been getting, the video card is working fine, it's likely the CPU is not up to the task for the games you're playing to push the frame rate faster.

Slusher

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Run the video card through a graphics only benchmark like Ungine Superposition or 3DMark Time Spy (the free version of 3DMark provides this). If it's within what reviewers have been getting, the video card is working fine, it's likely the CPU is not up to the task for the games you're playing to push the frame rate faster.
Heard, I will try that. I also noticed my ASUS bios version is 0607, and the most latest version is 2701, you think that could be the issue potentially?

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Could be a few things. Did you clear your drivers with DDU prior to installing the new card?

Updating the BIOS can help certain things so could be worth updating but have a look at the revisions available and what they rectify or add support for. If you are confident in upgrading BIOS then could be worth it.

What RAM modules are you using? 2 x 8gb + 2 × 4gb?

Slusher

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Could be a few things. Did you clear your drivers with DDU prior to installing the new card?

Updating the BIOS can help certain things so could be worth updating but have a look at the revisions available and what they rectify or add support for. If you are confident in upgrading BIOS then could be worth it.

What RAM modules are you using? 2 x 8gb + 2 × 4gb?
No I just installed the new one and installed the drivers on GeForce when I turned the computer on. And no I haven’t updated a bios before that’s why I was hesitant to test that haha. And yes that is my configuration

Richj444

Prominent
May 25, 2022
No I just installed the new one and installed the drivers on GeForce when I turned the computer on. And no I haven’t updated a bios before that’s why I was hesitant to test that haha. And yes that is my configuration
It is generally not a good idea to mix different ram like that. Unless you have some definite need for more than 16Gb,performance wise you'd be better off just using the 2x8gb kit.

Reactions: MEMOFLEX and Why_Me

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Updated bios versions help with recognizing things like the pcie4.0 interface used by the 4070ti vs the pcie3.0 interface used by the 2080Super.

When installing new drivers through GeForce, Always opt for Custom/Clean Install, do not use Express. Express checks for version numbers and dates, if they exist it does Not update or reset the drivers for the new card, it will only add or change drivers it sees as not existing or out of date. So any drivers linked to pcie3.0 on the old card will remain linked that way, other and newer drivers will link to the pcie4.0 on the new. That creates conflicts where none should or did exist.

Reactions: MEMOFLEX

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
OK, well as mentioned by others it may be worth trying a few things.

I would start by trying to do a fresh install of your graphics drivers as advised. Do a test using 3dmark or heaven first prior to any amendments just so you have a basis for references.

The BIOS is also something that could be advantageous for compatibility as the version you have is quite old and a number of improvements have likely occurred since your current BIOS. Of you have not done a BIOS update before then you will need a USB stick and there are a number of guides available. Motherboard vendors can differ slightly in the process but follow a guide for ASUS motherboards and you should be fine. I would recommend doing this through the boot process rather than through the ASUS Windows utility. If you are unsure then forum members can assist.

As also mentioned the RAM configuration is not what we would call ideal. I take it the kits are same manufacturer, speed model etc?

Slusher

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
OK, well as mentioned by others it may be worth trying a few things.

I would start by trying to do a fresh install of your graphics drivers as advised. Do a test using 3dmark or heaven first prior to any amendments just so you have a basis for references.

The BIOS is also something that could be advantageous for compatibility as the version you have is quite old and a number of improvements have likely occurred since your current BIOS. Of you have not done a BIOS update before then you will need a USB stick and there are a number of guides available. Motherboard vendors can differ slightly in the process but follow a guide for ASUS motherboards and you should be fine. I would recommend doing this through the boot process rather than through the ASUS Windows utility. If you are unsure then forum members can assist.

As also mentioned the RAM configuration is not what we would call ideal. I take it the kits are same manufacturer, speed model etc?
Understood. What is the easiest way to have a clean install now that the newest drivers are already installed? And I will look into how to update the bios to do it right if the driver install doesn’t do the trick. Is 16gb enough for most games we’ve got nowadays? But yes they’re all same speed, model all that.

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
I think as you have the latest drivers already then you would have to use DDU to remove all instances of the drivers and then reinstall. DDU is a free program that you run in safe mode to clear any remnants of old drivers. There will be YouTube videos and many an instance on this forum of people using this tool.

The BIOS is something that I only recommend doing if you need to but as your one is one of the original BIOS for that board the latest one may give you increased stability. There has been one released recently which may well coincide with the release of the 40 series cards but I would cross this bridge once you have done the driver clean up.

16gb is fine for the majority of games as long as you do not have loads of background processes amd applications open. Some of the very latest games are starting to exceed the 16gb in certain circumstances but this is an exception not a rule. Mixing RAM kits is a lottery to be honest. Sometimes it works fine without and issue, sometimes there will be issues and sometimes it will not work at all. I would try and benchmark with and without the additional 2 x 4 gb to see if there is any difference

Reactions: Slusher

Slusher

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
I think as you have the latest drivers already then you would have to use DDU to remove all instances of the drivers and then reinstall. DDU is a free program that you run in safe mode to clear any remnants of old drivers. There will be YouTube videos and many an instance on this forum of people using this tool.

The BIOS is something that I only recommend doing if you need to but as your one is one of the original BIOS for that board the latest one may give you increased stability. There has been one released recently which may well coincide with the release of the 40 series cards but I would cross this bridge once you have done the driver clean up.

16gb is fine for the majority of games as long as you do not have loads of background processes amd applications open. Some of the very latest games are starting to exceed the 16gb in certain circumstances but this is an exception not a rule. Mixing RAM kits is a lottery to be honest. Sometimes it works fine without and issue, sometimes there will be issues and sometimes it will not work at all. I would try and benchmark with and without the additional 2 x 4 gb to see if there is any difference
Okay, I’ve done that. Used DDU, reinstalled the latest nvidia driver with clean install, rebooted. Currently have a gpu benchmark Downloading. While I’m waiting, I’ve noticed my msi afterburner says “Microsoft basic display adapter” and on cyberpunk, 0% of my GPU is used while my CPU is getting hammered. My NVIDIA control panel and display adapter in device manager both SAY 4070ti… but I’m wondering if it’s really not being used?

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Windows will try to install a basic driver for the gpu so that it can output display but I would have expected the nvidia driver to have superceded that on install.

Does nvidia control panel show the driver version under system information? Gpu-z is worth a quick download and check as well. Useful tool

Slusher

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Windows will try to install a basic driver for the gpu so that it can output display but I would have expected the nvidia driver to have superceded that on install.

Does nvidia control panel show the driver version under system information? Gpu-z is worth a quick download and check as well. Useful tool
Yes nvidia control panel says the gpu and driver version 531.79.

Slusher

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
OK well I wouldn't worry too much about that at the moment. Run a benchmark and see what score you get compared against similar systems and go from there
I got a 12957 score on superposition on 1080p extreme. Looks like it was indeed utilizing my GPU... and that is with the 24gb mix-matched RAM in my system. Not really sure how great it is considering its pairing near 3080ti's with similar processors but I don't really know the differences anymore

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
I think the 4070 ti is meant to perform similarly to a 3090 so having similar performance to a 3080 ti sounds about right. It is just a synthetic benchmark after all.

Try your games and see what kind of performance you are getting in them as that was what triggered the concern in the first place.

The RAM could not be causing an issue. Without testing with only the 2 x 8gb installed though it is hard to tell as unable to compare.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you think as you go up 1 gen, the nvidia cards go down one. In rough terms a 4070 class card is roughly equal to a 3080 class card, or what should have been a 2090 class card etc. The Super and Ti monikers are essentially not much more than upgraded models, OC'd etc of the class, so a 4070ti is as high as a 4070 class gets, you'd need to move to 4080 class to get better.

So if your tests put you in the same class as 3080ti's that would be about right. But also figure that that's at stock values, many if not most of those posted results will be on custom cards, undervolted to get higher boosts and consequently higher scores etc.

Since the GPU appears to be working fine, then it's time to check the CPU. Run something like CineBench R23 and see if you get scores similar to what others are getting. If you are, then we could reasonably assume there's nothing holding the CPU back.

After all this if you're still getting the same issues with games, then it's most likely that CPU performance is the issue here.

Slusher

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
If you think as you go up 1 gen, the nvidia cards go down one. In rough terms a 4070 class card is roughly equal to a 3080 class card, or what should have been a 2090 class card etc. The Super and Ti monikers are essentially not much more than upgraded models, OC'd etc of the class, so a 4070ti is as high as a 4070 class gets, you'd need to move to 4080 class to get better.

So if your tests put you in the same class as 3080ti's that would be about right. But also figure that that's at stock values, many if not most of those posted results will be on custom cards, undervolted to get higher boosts and consequently higher scores etc.
I hear ya, that makes sense. I’ve been trying to figure out why it wasn’t matching my performance in games… I just now removed the 2x4gb ram’s and it actually looks like it’s using the GPU more and getting fps that makes sense. Im really surprised just removing those actually made a difference, so now I’m down to the 16gb of 3000mhz ram. Worth upgrading?

Slusher

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Going to look a
Since the GPU appears to be working fine, then it's time to check the CPU. Run something like CineBench R23 and see if you get scores similar to what others are getting. If you are, then we could reasonably assume there's nothing holding the CPU back.

After all this if you're still getting the same issues with games, then it's most likely that CPU performance is the issue here.
Going to check this now

Slusher

Distinguished
May 22, 2016

Score is about 700 points below the average but I expect that’s normal and not enough to cause issues like this, so it looks like processor is fine too, just not good enough performance to handle the GPU

I went from a MSI Ventus 2080 super to a ASUS TUF 4070ti. Oddly though, I noticed that after testing some games with similar settings, my performance is either the same or worse with the 4070ti. I pull up task manager or gpu tweak III, and it looks like my GPU is barely even being utilized and the fans aren't even spinning. Playing games like witcher 3 and cyberpunk, getting a lot lower frames than anticipated. Is this an installation issue or a BIOS/driver issue? I see my graphics card in device manager and gpu tweak, so I know it is there.
Rest of my specs
850w PSU
i7-10700k
24gb ddr4 ram
ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING motherboard

Some advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Hey there,

When it comes to FPS, your CPU needs to be top notch. With your CPU remaining the same, you will not get any more FPS, just from changing the GPU. This mostly applies to 1080p, but once you go 1440p and above, your CPU is fine as the resources switch from CPU to GPU load. Edit: There may be a few FPS more, with the CPU being the same, you won't get much of a boost.

Edit: Your CPU sends pre-rendered frames to the GPU. The GPU does some work, then displays it on the screen at whatever is the max rate of CPU.

A stronger CPU will yield better results with the new GPU.

Last edited:

Slusher

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Hey there,

When it comes to FPS, your CPU needs to be top notch. With your CPU remaining the same, you will not get any more FPS, just from changing the GPU. This mostly applies to 1080p, but once you go 1440p and above, your CPU is fine as the resources switch from CPU to GPU load.

A stronger CPU will yield better results with the new GPU.
Any Recommendations for this setup? I looked for a bit, seems I have to upgrade my motherboard and then ram to DDR5 too to achieve that, which sucks. Gettin real pricey lol