Question 4070ti SINGLE DIGIT fps??

Apr 4, 2023
hello,

I am currently having awful graphics and performance issues on a new (higher end) pc that I have assembled recently. (This is my fourth PC build so i believe i know what i’m doing by now)I have tried for a few days every solution I can find on the internet and nothing has helped so i have decided to create my own thread about this issue. For starters here are my specs:

case- Ssupd meshilicious (I am using the included 90 degree pcie 3.0 riser cable and angled hdmi cable)

motherboard- ROG strix B760-I gaming wi-fi

Cpu- Intel Core i5-13600KF - Core 15 13th Gen Raptor Lake 14-Core

Psu- CORSAIR RM750e Fully Modular

Ram- CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000

M.2- SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 1TB

Aio- CORSAIR iCUE H115i ELITE CAPELLIX XT 280mm with two AF140 RGB fans

Gpu- GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti EAGLE OC 12G

Windows 11 pro (licensed copy)

no antivirus installed other than windows defender that is included with windows

All of these parts were sold and shipped by newegg so i’m assuming everything is legit.

The issue I am having is no matter what i do i am getting extremely low fps for this system in benchmarks and every game imaginable. My fps in time spy is sitting at about 9 (not even double digits) but when it arrives at the cpu section of the test it runs fine at about 70-130 fps. Trying my system in games and other benchmarks i am having the same issues maxing out at about 30 fps on minimum setting in games such as siege.

With a 4070ti I think it is very safe to assume i should be expecting much better performance than this. Some other things i have noticed is when I turn on the PC from full shut down it boots and starts the ROG loading screen and then freezes and i get a few green lines on my screen. Then it reboots by itself and works perfectly fine. I am not sure if that is related.

Also when trying to change the power settings on my graphics card in nvidia’s overlay or mai afterburner after i click apply they just reset back to the default settings. hwmoniter, hardware info, and gpu-z all show the graphics cards default clock speeds and wattage at all times with gpu-z not even showing any clock speeds. The only sensor that seems to be working is temperature but only on a couple softwares.

The nvidia overlay as well as msi afterburners overlay are showing about 645 gpu speed and about half of that for memory with around 28watts and .9 volts and always zero gpu utilization in every benchmark and game. I have checked live and idle gpu utilization in every software when running my tests and it is always sitting at zero EXCEPT for task managers 3d utilization which is showing what i would believe to be normal but my performance is not reflecting this and task manager is the only outlier.

I am using two included corsair pcie connectors both plugged into the psu with the single connector and one end of a pcie pigtail connector (i have tried both parts of the pigtail) into the included splitter that came with the gpu plugged into the gpu. The gpu is seated into the included 3.0 riser cable that came with the case and yes my hdmi cable is plugged into my gpu, not my motherboard.

Here are some solutions i have tried:

reverting/updating bios and trying default settings and recommended settings

reverting and updating gpu drivers and doing a clean install with DDU

A full clean install of windows 11 pro from a installation media device.

Messing around with Nvidia control panel settings and windows settings and even tired modifying a few things in the registry from guides i found on youtube.

Single digit fps with stuttering is not the most ideal experience for over a 2 thousand dollar pc and i would love to get this problem fixed. I only have a couple weeks left to start a return so any help to fix this issue would be greatly appreciate. Thank you so much for all of your help in advance.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Breadboard your MoBo and install GPU directly into MoBo. This removes the riser cable. Also, this makes component testing much easier, rather than working inside the cramped PC case.

Btw, i didn't read the wall of text in the middle of your post, since reading that hurts my eyes and my eyes are far important to me than that wall of text.
If you want anyone to read that info, add some spacing into it.

Apr 4, 2023
I have a 4.0 riser cable on the way and was planning to use that but it was delayed. It will be here in a couple days.

I have the two included pcie connectors plugged into the top and bottom pcie conecters on the left side and one of each cable is plugged into the splitter thing that came with the gpu so i have and extra pcie cable hanging off from the pigtail.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I have a 4.0 riser cable on the way and was planning to use that but it was delayed. It will be here in a couple days.

I have the two included pcie connectors plugged into the top and bottom pcie conecters on the left side and one of each cable is plugged into the splitter thing that came with the gpu so i have and extra pcie cable hanging off from the pigtail.
Mount the card to the motherboard if the case will let you.

Apr 4, 2023
That's definitely a problem.
You have PCIE 5.0 board and PCIE 4.0 graphics card.
They want to communicate in PCIE 4.0 mode and can not automatically downgrade to PCIE 3.0

You have to manually set PCIE slot mode to PCIE 3.0 in BIOS, if you want to use the raiser cable.
How would I change that setting temporarily? I was planning on using the 4.0 riser that was delayed but I thought this cable would work fine while I waited.

Apr 4, 2023
After changing the setting in bios the issue still remains. I am going to try plugging directly into the motherboard next when i get a chance.

Pcie write and read throughput are also reading as zero in HWmoniter.

Last edited:

dverdier

Prominent
Dec 10, 2022
I just recently put a riser in my new build. I have the same GPU except pny ti oc. I believe they are gen 4. I'm still learning about all this new tech since the last pc I built had 98 on it but I would start with updating your bios, Windows, and the nvidia driver. Nvidia just released one. Also I'd get a gen 4 riser. I got a thermaltake one for about 50+- bucks on amazon. It works. I can't rem the name but it started with an e and came with the bracket. I had to modify the bracket and case a bit. Then the cable didn't work, they refunded the total and didn't want anything back. I bought a better cable and I was set. I know these are some basic steps. I'll leave the more intricate stuff to the pros on here. How did things turn out?

Apr 4, 2023
I turns out the riser 3.0 was completely faulty. (I tried it in an older compatabile system) I bought a 4.0 riser from ssupd as the first one ended up getting lost in the mail and it works perfectly.

Reactions: dverdier