Question 4080 20% usage ?

yasser7m

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2015
Hello,
I bought a 4080 ( going from 1070 )
And I noticed insanely low fps on some games
I thought it was a CPU bottleneck until I found some good results online with the same CPU
I have i7 10700k ( OCed to 5.1 All cores )
850 W SilverStone PSU
32 3200 Ram
Gigabyte z490 Aorus Elite
Kraken z73 for cooling
Playing at 3440x1440 Monitor
Note: temps are always below 60

I played God of War 2018 and was getting 90-100% CPU and 40-20 GPU
the weird thing is sometimes when I run the game and play I get a higher FPS by a bit and 100% GPU!!
Played Spiderman Remastered PC and I'm getting way lower FPS dropping to 40 at worst and 80 at best while only seeing GPU usage from 14-20! I read that this game is very CPU-dependent but also this way too weak
I also read that some 4080 owners are having this problem
So I went ahead and tried resetting the Bois and doing a fresh Windows Install to eliminate software stuff
I thought this is might be a PlayStation optimization problem
I tried playing warzone 2 and had no luck getting 120fps
the things that used the GPU 100% were Red Dead 2 and 3dmark
I got a 27603 Score in time spy
Also overclocking or not make 0 difference I went for 5.2 but GPU usage is the exact same and that is the reason I'm typing this, I thought by going high OC I should see at least 1% difference in frames so I know it's a CPU problem but nothing really changes

I tried listing everything I did and thinking of
but I know you guys know better and I might missing something or this might be normal for certain games or cases

Lutfij

Titan
850 W SilverStone PSU
Silverstone have a number of units in their portfolio. What is the model to your unit? How old is the PSU?

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

Did you use DDU to remove all GPU drivers prior to powering down and removing your prior GPU to replace it with the new GPU? Once powered up, did you manually reinstall your GPU driver with the latest sourced from Nvidia's support site, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

yasser7m

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2015
850 W SilverStone PSU
Silverstone have a number of units in their portfolio. What is the model to your unit? How old is the PSU?

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

Did you use DDU to remove all GPU drivers prior to powering down and removing your prior GPU to replace it with the new GPU? Once powered up, did you manually reinstall your GPU driver with the latest sourced from Nvidia's support site, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Sorry for the late response and thank you very much for your help
PSU Full name and model: SilverStone Technology 850W Computer Power Supply PSU Fully Modular with 80 Plus Gold & 140mm Design Power Supply (SST-ST85F-GS-V2)
Bought it in late 2020

Bios Ver: latest F22
Windows 11 Updated to the latest update
The first time trying the GPU I didn't use DDU
so I didn't use DDU before I install the new GPU but did it after
2hrs I went ahead and DDU but not in safe mode that is before I completely reinstall windows and reset bios
I did download the driver from the official site
but didn't run as administrator and I'll try to do it now
I will do the only thing u said that I haven't
Ill go to safe mode
DDU
Run installer as administrator
and will update you

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I installed my RTX 4080 last week and did quite a lot of benchmarks for my own purpose this weekend. I think mine runs as expected. But I have a lot of benchmarks (3dMark, and some games) that I can give you to compare.

I have my own benchmarks available for Cyberpunk 2077 (1440p +RTX highest Psycho with and without DLSS quality), Far Cry 6 (1440P Ultra + RT on highest), Metro Exodus Benchmark (1440p on Ultra with RT on the highest), 3DMark Firestrike Extreme, 3DMark TimeSpy, 3DMark Port Royale, and 3DMark Speedway.

Let me know if you can do any of those benchmarks, in that case you can compare.....

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I installed my RTX 4080 last week and did quite a lot of benchmarks for my own purpose this weekend. I think mine runs as expected. But I have a lot of benchmarks (3dMark, and some games) that I can give you to compare.

I have my own benchmarks available for Cyberpunk 2077 (1440p +RTX highest Psycho with and without DLSS quality), Far Cry 6 (1440P Ultra + RT on highest), Metro Exodus Benchmark (1440p on Ultra with RT on the highest), 3DMark Firestrike Extreme, 3DMark TimeSpy, 3DMark Port Royale, and 3DMark Speedway.

Let me know if you can do any of those benchmarks, in that case you can compare.....

PS: if you don't own Cyberpunk 2077, you can download the free demo and it includes the Benchmark.