Question 4080 + 3440x1440 + older i7/mobo

dedline

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
4080 + 3440x1440 + older i7/mobo

Hey guys, got lucky and purchased a Nvidia 4080 at Best Buy, picking up today. I have a 3440x1440p ultra wide Gsync monitor on an older pc build with an intel i7-7700k 16gb ram an ssd for storage and ASrock Z270 gaming K6 mobo paired for that cpu and a Corsair RM750x power supply.

Will I run into any major road blocks to enjoying this new graphic card on my older system? I have the money for the card just not an entire new build. Appreciate any thoughts. I like RT enabled games like Icarus, and stuff like Rust, COD and God of War.

Well first I would love to know how old is your RM750x?

But yeah from my humble point of view, even at 3440x1440p, you will be leaving GPU performance on the table because of your old Core i7 7700K. Can not tell you exactly how much cause there aren't many reviews (you can trust out there) with this ultrawide resolution).

Anyways, if your PSU is sorta new, you should be able to enjoy the new GPU. Of course a newer system would most likely be able to push the GPU harder (which is what we all want).

Here are a few examples (just not widescreen), no matter what always take this results with a grain of salt:

View: https://youtu.be/Ennwf6yKX7A?t=442

dedline

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Thank you for the video. The power supply is about a year and a half old. If you were to suggest a new Power Supply for this card and my setup, what would you suggest. Hopefully Mine is fine for a while though.

Reactions: RodroX
Thank you for the video. The power supply is about a year and a half old. If you were to suggest a new Power Supply for this card and my setup, what would you suggest. Hopefully Mine is fine for a while though.

As long as you don't go crazy with a new system, like an overclocked Core i9 13900K (I would not waste my money on such CPU for gaming, a modern Core i5 or Core i7 are more than enough), that PSU should be fine.

But yeah same model but higher wattage (like the RM850x or higher) will allow the PSU to work on the more efficient part of the output curve.

Reactions: dedline

mjbn1977

Distinguished
4080 + 3440x1440 + older i7/mobo

Hey guys, got lucky and purchased a Nvidia 4080 at Best Buy, picking up today. I have a 3440x1440p ultra wide Gsync monitor on an older pc build with an intel i7-7700k 16gb ram an ssd for storage and ASrock Z270 gaming K6 mobo paired for that cpu and a Corsair RM750x power supply.

Will I run into any major road blocks to enjoying this new graphic card on my older system? I have the money for the card just not an entire new build. Appreciate any thoughts. I like RT enabled games like Icarus, and stuff like Rust, COD and God of War.

The RM750x is borderline for the 4080 but it will work (at least according to Igor from IgorsLabs). It's quality should be able to handle any of the possible spikes. Otherwise, the card never really draws more than 315 watts. Unless you overclock with increase powerlimit (I can get mine to draw about 350watts).

The older i7 will bottleneck maybe a little in non-RT games, but nothing I would worry about too much. Maybe upgrade the upgrade the CPU down the road.....since 4 cores will not cut it bit down the future.....

dedline

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009

The RM750x is borderline for the 4080 but it will work (at least according to Igor from IgorsLabs). It's quality should be able to handle any of the possible spikes. Otherwise, the card never really draws more than 315 watts. Unless you overclock with increase powerlimit (I can get mine to draw about 350watts).

The older i7 will bottleneck maybe a little in non-RT games, but nothing I would worry about too much. Maybe upgrade the upgrade the CPU down the road.....since 4 cores will not cut it bit down the future.....
So just keep the motherboard and change the cpu out?

mjbn1977

Distinguished
So just keep the motherboard and change the cpu out?
no, what I meant, don't worry about the CPU right now. Just upgrade the GPU. But eventually, down the road, you can upgrade the CPU to something up to date. But you don't have to do that right now. When you upgrade to something new, either Intel or AMD you need to change the mother board and possible the RAM too, of course.

dedline

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Well first I would love to know how old is your RM750x?

But yeah from my humble point of view, even at 3440x1440p, you will be leaving GPU performance on the table because of your old Core i7 7700K. Can not tell you exactly how much cause there aren't many reviews (you can trust out there) with this ultrawide resolution).

Anyways, if your PSU is sorta new, you should be able to enjoy the new GPU. Of course a newer system would most likely be able to push the GPU harder (which is what we all want).

Here are a few examples (just not widescreen), no matter what always take this results with a grain of salt:

View: https://youtu.be/Ennwf6yKX7A?t=442
I found an online article saying it is massively important to have a ATX 3.0 power supply. Mine mentioned above is a 2.4 ATX power supply. What is the difference and am I unable to use mine with this new information?

I found an online article saying it is massively important to have a ATX 3.0 power supply. Mine mentioned above is a 2.4 ATX power supply. What is the difference and am I unable to use mine with this new information?

Having an ATX 3.0 PSU would be ideal, but its not massively important. You have a very good PSU brand and model.

Later on you could search for ATX 3.0 PSU. I would be willing to bet that not even 10% of the people who got the new RTX 4000, have an ATX 3.0 PSU.

dedline

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
no, what I meant, don't worry about the CPU right now. Just upgrade the GPU. But eventually, down the road, you can upgrade the CPU to something up to date. But you don't have to do that right now. When you upgrade to something new, either Intel or AMD you need to change the mother board and possible the RAM too, of course.
Ok, and since I only have two open 8 pin on my psu is it safe to branch out those two using the psu cables into 3 to connect into the 4080 adaptor cable?