Question 4080 MSI Ventus and Asus Rog Strix 750G Cables Doubt

Mar 29, 2023
Hi,

I got a 4080 MSI Ventus 3X OC and i have the Asus Rog Strix 750G PSU, everything was good until i found a sticker which says and i quote “Please use 3 individual pice cables from the power supply to avoid any possible issues …”:

H3Vq2KC.jpg

The thing is that my PSU has 2 pcie cables with two connectors (Y shape), so the only way to connect the video card is using the two connectors from one cable and use one connector from the remaining cable, just like in the first image that says i shouldn’t do that.

My question is that is it possible to connect my video card like that with my PSU?, there is no way with my current PSU to have 3 individual pcie cables so i would need to buy a new one but the thing that hurts the most its that my PSU is brand new, i just got it few months ago.

DE6CSZs.jpg

Thanks in advanced.

Hi,

I got a 4080 MSI Ventus 3X OC and i have the Asus Rog Strix 750G PSU, everything was good until i found a sticker which says and i quote “Please use 3 individual pice cables from the power supply to avoid any possible issues …”:

H3Vq2KC.jpg

The thing is that my PSU has 2 pcie cables with two connectors (Y shape), so the only way to connect the video card is using the two connectors from one cable and use one connector from the remaining cable, just like in the first image that says i shouldn’t do that.

My question is that is it possible to connect my video card like that with my PSU?, there is no way with my current PSU to have 3 individual pcie cables so i would need to buy a new one but the thing that hurts the most its that my PSU is brand new, i just got it few months ago.

DE6CSZs.jpg

Thanks in advanced.
Will it work? Probably. Is it safe for the GPU? Probably not. Either way, a 750w PSU is, imo, a little under powered for a 4080 system, though that also depends on the rest of the PC. I would recommend getting a new PSU and sell the old. I would even try calling the store you bought it from, and asking them if you can return it, it never hurts to ask. A nice corsair PSU that has all you need or a similar one from Seasonic will do right by your build.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Mar 29, 2023
Will it work? Probably. Is it safe for the GPU? Probably not. Either way, a 750w PSU is, imo, a little under powered for a 4080 system, though that also depends on the rest of the PC. I would recommend getting a new PSU and sell the old. I would even try calling the store you bought it from, and asking them if you can return it, it never hurts to ask. A nice corsair PSU that has all you need or a similar one from Seasonic will do right by your build.

Thanks for the response, i appreciate it.
I am going to look for those recommended PSUs in my country.

I was doing some digging and i found that the 3080 founders edition uses 2 pcie and according to some sources the 4080 is less power hungry than the 3080, so if we put that on the table, using 1 daisy chain cable + 1 cable for the 3 connectors should be enough for the 4080 but there is a lot of debate in regards to this, it makes you think.

I was doing some digging and i found that the 3080 founders edition uses 2 pcie and according to some sources the 4080 is less power hungry than the 3080, so if we put that on the table, using 1 daisy chain cable + 1 cable for the 3 connectors should be enough for the 4080 but there is a lot of debate in regards to this, it makes you think.
The main problem comes from putting more power in the cables than is intended / splitting 1 cable for 2 connectors.