[40k] Eldar Pics on Yahoo Groups

I posted some pictures of my Eldar models on yahoo groups, in the folder
Steve Olk. I'm starting Eldar as a side project, and I thought I'd share
my first couple of models. Feel free to critique.

Steve Olk

Steve Olk wrote:
> I posted some pictures of my Eldar models on yahoo groups, in the folder
> Steve Olk. I'm starting Eldar as a side project, and I thought I'd share
> my first couple of models. Feel free to critique.

Question: Why are you painting so clearly after the studio Biel-Tan army?

Also, I'd recommend that you crop and rotate pictures before posting them.

\-|-/
| A.K.D. F.E.M.C.

In article <d47cqv$akp$1@eeyore.INS.cwru.edu>, Steve Olk, spo2@case.edu
Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> I posted some pictures of my Eldar models on yahoo groups, in the folder
> Steve Olk. I'm starting Eldar as a side project, and I thought I'd share
> my first couple of models. Feel free to critique.
>
> Steve Olk

I like the look, but I'd suggest a slightly smaller (i.e. narrower)
brush, and a bit more blending when doing the highlighting on the 'Wave
Serpent' is it? The same would hold true for your guardians vs your
Scorpion, - I like the scorpion better as the blending and highlights
aren't as harsh looking as they are on guardians. I'm guessing you used
acrylic paints? If so, look into a retarding agent and a 'flow/float'
aid that would let you blend colors more easily and for a longer time
period with acrylic paints. On most 28mm figures, a little blending and
highlighting goes a long way. I do like your 'farseer' in particular.
You've done a nice job picking out the details and making it stand out
from the crowd.

Myrmidon

#1582. I think they call it Warhammer "40K" because that is how
much you are going to have to make per year in order to play.

- Eric Noland

# 1082. Pound for pound I can buy cocaine cheaper than
raise a Warhammer army

- Roy Cox

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/gwprice/

****

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

Steve Olk <spo2@case.edu> wrote in message news:<d47cqv$akp$1@eeyore.INS.cwru.edu>...
> I posted some pictures of my Eldar models on yahoo groups, in the folder
> Steve Olk. I'm starting Eldar as a side project, and I thought I'd share
> my first couple of models. Feel free to critique.
>
> Steve Olk

Very nicely done - the Wave Serpent almost looks like an acceptable
part of the Eldar range. I like Elrad a lot and the Scorpion's
well-done (question, though: why use the new ones? After all, you
obviously have access to the old Aspects = using old Avengers and new
Scorps seems to be giving you the worst of both worlds). The Avengers
don't have much subtlety to the colouring though - the contrasts
between the blue, white and red are rather glaring.

Philip Bowles

John Hwang <JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com> wrote in message news:<nHZ9e.26306$jd6.12640@trnddc07>...
> Steve Olk wrote:
> > I posted some pictures of my Eldar models on yahoo groups, in the folder
> > Steve Olk. I'm starting Eldar as a side project, and I thought I'd share
> > my first couple of models. Feel free to critique.
>
> Question: Why are you painting so clearly after the studio Biel-Tan army?

Look at the transfers, John - he obviously wants his army to come from Biel-Tan...

Philip Bowles

Philip Bowles wrote:

> John Hwang <JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com> wrote in message
>> Steve Olk wrote:
>> > I posted some pictures of my Eldar models on yahoo groups, in the
>> > folder
>> > Steve Olk. I'm starting Eldar as a side project, and I thought I'd
>> > share
>> > my first couple of models. Feel free to critique.
>>
>> Question: Why are you painting so clearly after the studio Biel-Tan
>> army?
>
> Look at the transfers, John - he obviously wants his army to come from
> Biel-Tan...
>
> Philip Bowles

Yeah, I want it to come from Biel Tan, and I like the standard color
schemes. Also, they're not transfers, all the runes are hand painted.

Steve

Philip Bowles wrote:

> Steve Olk <spo2@case.edu> wrote in message
>> I posted some pictures of my Eldar models on yahoo groups, in the folder
>> Steve Olk. I'm starting Eldar as a side project, and I thought I'd
>> share
>> my first couple of models. Feel free to critique.
>>
>> Steve Olk
>
> Very nicely done - the Wave Serpent almost looks like an acceptable
> part of the Eldar range. I like Elrad a lot and the Scorpion's
> well-done (question, though: why use the new ones? After all, you
> obviously have access to the old Aspects = using old Avengers and new
> Scorps seems to be giving you the worst of both worlds).

Originally, the army was meant to be entirely bought new, from shops and
stuff. However the lure of dirt cheap used minis is still strong, and I
built a decent collection of the old Avengers. I have a squad of new
scorps along with a squad of the old ones, though both have new Exarchs. I
also have a squad of the old Banshees. Anyway, I like the old Avenger
models, and I never quite liked the newer half metal ones.

> The Avengers
> don't have much subtlety to the colouring though - the contrasts
> between the blue, white and red are rather glaring.

Hmmm, I think I see what you mean. Any advice on how to correct that? I
like the strong visual impact the bold white helms and the deep blue armor
have. I may need to tone down some/all of the gems though.

Myrmidon wrote:

> I like the look, but I'd suggest a slightly smaller (i.e. narrower)
> brush, and a bit more blending when doing the highlighting on the 'Wave
> Serpent' is it? The same would hold true for your guardians vs your
> Scorpion, - I like the scorpion better as the blending and highlights
> aren't as harsh looking as they are on guardians. I'm guessing you used
> acrylic paints? If so, look into a retarding agent and a 'flow/float'
> aid that would let you blend colors more easily and for a longer time
> period with acrylic paints. On most 28mm figures, a little blending and
> highlighting goes a long way. I do like your 'farseer' in particular.
> You've done a nice job picking out the details and making it stand out
> from the crowd.
>
> Myrmidon

Thanks for the advice. I'ts my first time trying blended highlights, so I'm
actually really happy with how they look, they I realize now that I need to
be a bit more subtle in my shades. If there is interest, I'll post some of
my second batch of Avengers.

Steve

Steve Olk <spo2@case.edu> wrote in message news:<d4d22r$8lg$1@eeyore.INS.cwru.edu>...
> Philip Bowles wrote:
>
> > Steve Olk <spo2@case.edu> wrote in message
> >> I posted some pictures of my Eldar models on yahoo groups, in the folder
> >> Steve Olk. I'm starting Eldar as a side project, and I thought I'd
> >> share
> >> my first couple of models. Feel free to critique.
> >>
> >> Steve Olk
> >
> > Very nicely done - the Wave Serpent almost looks like an acceptable
> > part of the Eldar range. I like Elrad a lot and the Scorpion's
> > well-done (question, though: why use the new ones? After all, you
> > obviously have access to the old Aspects = using old Avengers and new
> > Scorps seems to be giving you the worst of both worlds).
>
> Originally, the army was meant to be entirely bought new, from shops and
> stuff. However the lure of dirt cheap used minis is still strong, and I
> built a decent collection of the old Avengers. I have a squad of new
> scorps along with a squad of the old ones, though both have new Exarchs.

You poor boy... I'm sure there's a way of converting old Scorpions to
make a half-decent claw-armed Exarch.

> also have a squad of the old Banshees.

Oh dear. Aside from the old Scorpions you don't exactly seem to have
picked the cream of the old Eldar range...

Anyway, I like the old Avenger
> models, and I never quite liked the newer half metal ones.

Models armed with something like shuriken catapults, which have
changed drastically in style over the years, date pretty badly. The
old Avengers were good enough for their time, but these days their
weapons look chunky and clumsy and their crested helmets are too
exaggerated to boot. If I were you I wouldn't use white for the
catapults or helmets - it draws too much attention to the models'
weaker points. They might look better with these details in black. I
quite like the new ones, mostly because the Guardians they're based on
are good models, though I wish they were a bit more distinctive and
with an Exarch helmet component to differentiate him.

> > The Avengers
> > don't have much subtlety to the colouring though - the contrasts
> > between the blue, white and red are rather glaring.
>
> Hmmm, I think I see what you mean. Any advice on how to correct that?

Don't use such strongly contrasting colours...?

Philip Bowles

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Philip Bowles said

> The Avengers
> don't have much subtlety to the colouring though - the contrasts
> between the blue, white and red are rather glaring.

They're Disco Elves from Space.

--
Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.

Steve Olk wrote:
> Philip Bowles wrote:
>>John Hwang <JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com> wrote ...

>>>Question: Why are you painting so clearly after the studio Biel-Tan
>>>army?
>>
>>Look at the transfers, John - he obviously wants his army to come from
>>Biel-Tan...
>
> Yeah, I want it to come from Biel Tan, and I like the standard color
> schemes. Also, they're not transfers, all the runes are hand painted.

OK. Tho painting as Biel-Tan locks you in as Biel-Tan. Painting your
own lets you play as whatever you like...

\-|-/