(40k) Killing Necrons?

How exactly would those interested in this thread beat Necrons,
assuming they were playing a Space Marine
chapter
with "Suffer not the Work of Heretics"
and "Death before Dishonour" as their chapter traits, and a model
collection bent more towards shooting than close combat,
but having a good pile of characters if needed.

Thank you for your time,

Eric B.

Eric B. wrote:
> How exactly would those interested in this thread beat Necrons,
> assuming they were playing a Space Marine chapter
> with "Suffer not the Work of Heretics"

Tank Hunters -- pointless against Necrons, as the Monolith *ignores*
Tank Hunters.

> and "Death before Dishonour" as their chapter traits,

Granting the Necrons the option for an extra turn doesn't really hurt.

OTOH, Never Despair (take an extra turn) is a good choice for you, as it
gives you an extra turn to force Phase Out.

Stand Alone (no Allies) is a good "drawback".

> and a model collection bent more towards shooting

ML/Plas, Las/Plas, and Plas/Plas Tacticals w/ Apothecary are a good
start; twin Laz Razors don't hurt. Laz Predators & Vindicators *never*
hurt.

> than close combat,
> but having a good pile of characters if needed.

You'll still want a HtH monster (or two) to tackle the Lord. A couple
of Chaplains or Librarians wouldn't hurt.

\-|-/
| A.K.D. F.E.M.C.

I'd have to pretty much agree with most of what's been said. My
necrons really struggle against Marines.
We've not got much in the way of power weapons and are very poor in
H2H.
Missile launchers hurt, as do Las Cannons.
And I've lost two full units of Warriors to one dread before now since
we can't hurt them in H2H without an upgrade.

"Eric B." wrote
> How exactly would those interested in this thread beat Necrons,
> assuming they were playing a Space Marine chapter
> with "Suffer not the Work of Heretics"
> and "Death before Dishonour" as their chapter traits, and a model
> collection bent more towards shooting than close combat,
> but having a good pile of characters if needed.

I've played a similar match - Necrons vs. ultra-blue vanilla Marines - as the
Necrons and barely won it.
That said, here are a few ways a Marine opponent can throw a monkey wrench into
the Necron works:

1. Forcing phase-out. We phase-out, we lose. Note that phase-out is only
computed based on the number of models with the Necron special ability!

2. Concentrating fire. Necrons only get a WBB roll if there's an active unit
of the same type within 6", or a Spyder within 12" and another unit of the same
type anywhere else. If you put every single Necron in a unit down, and they
aren't near a spyder, they don't *get* a WBB roll at all and stay down. This is
particularly critical for high value, small number units like Destroyers and
Immortals.

3. Paying attention to the Lord's wargear. The Necron Lord is really the only
unit with variable abilities, thanks to its wargear, and some of the items can
really screw with your battle plan if you don't take them into account. The
Resurrection Orb and the Veil of Darkness are particularly powerful. On the
other hand, if the Lord has nothing but a Phase Shifter, you might not want to
waste fire on him.

4. Engaging at the wrong range. Nearly all Necron units are either quite poor
in close combat, or poor/nonexistent at range. Hand to hand monsters should be
fed lots of dakka, while shooty units should be bogged down in hand to hand.
(I lost an entire unit of warriors because I let a Space Marine Dread plow into
them in close combat. Oops.) Plan your strategy accordingly, and be prepared
to change plans if your opponent has a force that's unbalanced one way or the
other. Optimum tactics against a horde of Flayed Ones and scarabs are very
different from those against the Destroyer wave.

On the other claw, here are two things that make harvesting the organics much
more efficient:

1. Reliance on Vehicles. The Necron mantra is "Glances on 6's". Eighteen
warriors shooting at 24" range will get an average of 12 hits. Gauss weapons
get a glancing hit on a 6, so that's two glancing hits even against a Land
Raider. That has a 1/3 chance of an outright kill, and will cripple the vehicle
even if it survives. Given how expensive vehicles are, that's a good way for
the Necrons to harvest victory points. If you get within rapid fire range of
warriors, expect your vehicles to dissolve. And that's just the warriors...

2. Getting distracted by scarabs. Scarabs cost 4 points per wound, move as
jetbikes, and don't count toward phase-out. They are an utterly expendable way
to tie up one of your expensive units, particularly a hand to hand monster.

Have fun!
--
- Ward.
wardcb at earthlink dot net

I went to a seafood buffet at the gymnasium last week ... and pulled a mussel.

Eric B. wrote:
> How exactly would those interested in this thread beat Necrons,
> assuming they were playing a Space Marine
> chapter
> with "Suffer not the Work of Heretics"
> and "Death before Dishonour" as their chapter traits, and a model
> collection bent more towards shooting than close combat,
> but having a good pile of characters if needed.
>
> Thank you for your time,
>
> Eric B.

For all their flashy/cheesyness the Necros main weakness is Phase out.

The general consensus on killing Necrons is to focus on the standard
troops and to try and force phase out. This means ignoring or tying up
things such as the Monolith, C'Tan, Tomb Spyders etc and focusing your
fire on Warriors, Immortals, Flayed ones and anything that counts
towards phase out.

To counter the Necron ressurection use weapons with str more than double
necron standard toughness. ie Missile Launchers and Lascannons. And in
close combat power weapons are the order of the day.

Watch out for the enemy trying to tie you up with Scarabs and wargear
such as the Veil of Darkness. Deploy your troups to minimize their
effectiveness.

Thats may not be as specific as you like but thats all I can give you.

--
Dogboy

<StevieEvs@hotmail.com> wrote...
> I'd have to pretty much agree with most of what's been said. My
> necrons really struggle against Marines.

Marines are tough opponents regardless, particularly with the new codex. The
marine army is reasonably good in every category, so they're always going to be
better than you in something. That said, my necrons aren't intimidated by
them - in theory, any 40K army should be evenly matched against any other army
of the same points value. (Insert howls of derision here. :)

> We've not got much in the way of power weapons and are very poor in
> H2H.

Pariahs, Scarabs, Flayed Ones, and Wraiths are not at all poor in H2H. If you
want to do Necrons up close and personal, it can be done. Pariahs, in
particular, are good for carving up heavily armored opponents.

> Missile launchers hurt, as do Las Cannons.

Take a Resurrection Orb. Remember, a unit only needs to have one model within
6" of an Orb for the entire unit to gain the benefits.

> And I've lost two full units of Warriors to one dread before now since
> we can't hurt them in H2H without an upgrade.

Been there, done that. Honestly, I'm thinking the disruption fields upgrade is
pretty much essential at this point!