[40k] [model] SM meltabombs and Teleport Homer advice requ..

Am currently assembling that loyal DG mini-army I mentioned earlier, but I'm
not sure exactly how to model two bits of wargear I'll be deploying. I'm
going to have meltabombs for biker scouts, and a teleport homer for a scout
sarge on foot. I'm not sure how other players are used to modeling these
things, so I was hoping for some feedback on my ideas.

The meltabombs are simple - there's a hollow in the bottom of a film
canister that when packed with green stuff gives something resembling an old
WWII land mine. I thought that by adding a small wire staple as a handle,
these might look like limpet-style mines, which I'll stow on the scout bikes
with their other gear, after painting them some eye-catching color or other.
Am I correct in assuming that's the right vibe that meltabombs should have?
Since I'm not aware of any situation where they're thrown I thought
something like a hand-emplaced charge would make more sense, but I thought
I'd see what the consensus was before proceeding.

The teleport homer is a bit harder for me to get a handle on. I was
thinking of using a Catachan radio backpack: since there aren't any other
Space Marine comms options that I'm aware of, there shouldn't be any
confusion, but at the same time it's bland enough that for the 400 point
missions with no Terminators I'll feel OK about fielding the model without
paying for it. There's another idea I had that would be cooler, but it's
more obtrusive and I can't figure out a simple way to model it on a metal SM
Scout vetsarge. That would be to take a spear and attach some techy bits to
the butt end - the idea being that upon getting to the appropriate place,
the scout drives the spear into the ground and the transmitter will be
pointing skyward (I freely admit I stole the idea from the 'thumpers' used
to summon sandworms in _Dune_). I'm thinking of cutting the chainsword out
of the hand of the scout sarge that's holding his sword up over his head,
and then putting the signaller/spear in that hand. Again, in the 400 point
missions where I won't be using the Termies, I figure I can just not pay for
the teleport homer, but there's still a nice pointy end on the stick that I
can WYSIWYG that as his CCW. Anyone think that will work? It's the more
attractive option to me because it'll make the mini more unique, but at the
same time I'm worried it might be too much. Does anyone think the spear
idea will work OK, or should I stick with the simpler comms backpack
concept?

Thanks in advance for any help,

--
Ken Coble

I am just an aging drummer boy
And in the wars I used to play
And I've called the tune to many a torture session
Now they say I am a war criminal
And I'm fading away
Father, please hear my confession
-Dire Straits, "The Man's Too Strong"

In article <HOW5e.32301$9v2.1040796@twister.southeast.rr.com>, Kenneth
Coble, flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com Varfed out the following in Timo
speak...
> Am currently assembling that loyal DG mini-army I mentioned earlier, but I'm
> not sure exactly how to model two bits of wargear I'll be deploying. I'm
> going to have meltabombs for biker scouts, and a teleport homer for a scout
> sarge on foot. I'm not sure how other players are used to modeling these
> things, so I was hoping for some feedback on my ideas.
>
> The meltabombs are simple - there's a hollow in the bottom of a film
> canister that when packed with green stuff gives something resembling an old
> WWII land mine. I thought that by adding a small wire staple as a handle,
> these might look like limpet-style mines, which I'll stow on the scout bikes
> with their other gear, after painting them some eye-catching color or other.
> Am I correct in assuming that's the right vibe that meltabombs should have?
> Since I'm not aware of any situation where they're thrown I thought
> something like a hand-emplaced charge would make more sense, but I thought
> I'd see what the consensus was before proceeding.

That should work just fine - the only melta bomb models are the
ones that come on the assault marine sprues, or the satchel type charges
that the IG 'nutters' throw. Anything with a bomb/landmine-ish
appearance should be easy for another player to understand as being
melta-bombs.

> The teleport homer is a bit harder for me to get a handle on. I was
> thinking of using a Catachan radio backpack: since there aren't any other
> Space Marine comms options that I'm aware of, there shouldn't be any
> confusion, but at the same time it's bland enough that for the 400 point
> missions with no Terminators I'll feel OK about fielding the model without
> paying for it.

Sure, I can't see where anyone would have any great reason to
complain one way or the other. (If they're that much of a nitwit nit
picker, then odds are you won't enjoy gaming with them anyway.)

> There's another idea I had that would be cooler, but it's
> more obtrusive and I can't figure out a simple way to model it on a metal SM
> Scout vetsarge. That would be to take a spear and attach some techy bits to
> the butt end - the idea being that upon getting to the appropriate place,
> the scout drives the spear into the ground and the transmitter will be
> pointing skyward (I freely admit I stole the idea from the 'thumpers' used
> to summon sandworms in _Dune_). I'm thinking of cutting the chainsword out
> of the hand of the scout sarge that's holding his sword up over his head,
> and then putting the signaller/spear in that hand. Again, in the 400 point
> missions where I won't be using the Termies, I figure I can just not pay for
> the teleport homer, but there's still a nice pointy end on the stick that I
> can WYSIWYG that as his CCW. Anyone think that will work? It's the more
> attractive option to me because it'll make the mini more unique, but at the
> same time I'm worried it might be too much. Does anyone think the spear
> idea will work OK, or should I stick with the simpler comms backpack
> concept?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help,

Try a staff with a becon at the end. You could use any one of the
marine 'standard bearer' type figures and simply make a fancy looking
end piece for it instead of the banner. Another alternative is to use a
standard figure - like a space marine scout, and use a piece of small
diameter plastic rod (like the stuff plastruct makes - and yes, they've
got a web site and mail/online ordering) with a fancy end simply mounted
on the stand or carried on the model's back like part of it's equipment.

Now the all out coolest conversion for this I've ever seen was a guy who
did an LED conversion. The blinking LED was mounted in the end of a
hollow plastic rod, and the wires ran down into the base where there was
a watch battery and an on/off switch. IIRC it was the scout marine
holding up the big knife - the knife was removed and it looked like he
was defiantly holding the teleport homer against all comers. I think
I've got pictures of it somewhere if you want me to take a look and
email them to you - let me know.

Hope that helps,

Myr

#1582. I think they call it Warhammer "40K" because that is how
much you are going to have to make per year in order to play.

- Eric Noland

# 1082. Pound for pound I can buy cocaine cheaper than
raise a Warhammer army

- Roy Cox

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/gwprice/

****

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

"Kenneth Coble" <flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> wrote in message

> these might look like limpet-style mines, which I'll stow on the scout
> bikes with their other gear, after painting them some eye-catching color
> or other. Am I correct in assuming that's the right vibe that meltabombs
> should have?

doesn't really matter for game purposes, as long as the figure has something
that isn't obviously a different wargear item. technically any grenades
would do, but I've always assumed that meltabombs would be more like limpet
mines in operation.

> The teleport homer is a bit harder for me to get a handle on.

make it up. they've never really been described and even if they had there
are plenty of marine chapters who use non-standard or older generation
equipment anyway. a friend of mine made a good one from a demolition charge
with aerials from BFG sprues, so his sergeant lugs it around like a
briefcase. my chaos "teleport homer" is a very long-suffering rogue psyker.
you can make one from any bits you have lying around.

Myrmidon wrote:
<snip helpfulness>

> Try a staff with a becon at the end. You could use any one of the
> marine 'standard bearer' type figures and simply make a fancy looking
> end piece for it instead of the banner. Another alternative is to
> use a standard figure - like a space marine scout, and use a piece of
> small diameter plastic rod (like the stuff plastruct makes - and yes,
> they've got a web site and mail/online ordering) with a fancy end
> simply mounted on the stand or carried on the model's back like part
> of it's equipment.

This is pretty much the idea I had, I just want a speartip pointing down as
if that's the end that gets jammed into the ground to emplace the homer. If
it works out, I'll make a copy on an "empty" base as a scenario marker as
well.

> Now the all out coolest conversion for this I've ever seen was a guy
> who did an LED conversion. The blinking LED was mounted in the end
> of a hollow plastic rod, and the wires ran down into the base where
> there was a watch battery and an on/off switch. IIRC it was the
> scout marine holding up the big knife - the knife was removed and it
> looked like he was defiantly holding the teleport homer against all
> comers. I think I've got pictures of it somewhere if you want me to
> take a look and email them to you - let me know.

Oh HELL YES e-mail me those pictures! Even if I don't attempt the LED
conversion, I'd like to see his take on the homer itself.

> Hope that helps,

Yep! Thanks.

Ken Coble

Doctor Rock wrote:
> "Kenneth Coble" <flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>> these might look like limpet-style mines, which I'll stow on the
>> scout bikes with their other gear, after painting them some
>> eye-catching color or other. Am I correct in assuming that's the
>> right vibe that meltabombs should have?
>
> doesn't really matter for game purposes, as long as the figure has
> something that isn't obviously a different wargear item. technically
> any grenades would do, but I've always assumed that meltabombs would
> be more like limpet mines in operation.

That's my impression as well. These things I'm making are trivially easy,
so I guess I'll just roll up a few of them for this army and maybe for the
Dark Angels down the road.

>> The teleport homer is a bit harder for me to get a handle on.
>
> make it up. they've never really been described and even if they had
> there are plenty of marine chapters who use non-standard or older
> generation equipment anyway. a friend of mine made a good one from a
> demolition charge with aerials from BFG sprues, so his sergeant lugs
> it around like a briefcase. my chaos "teleport homer" is a very
> long-suffering rogue psyker. you can make one from any bits you have
> lying around.

Oh man, I love both those ideas. This might finally make the "Imperial
Pilot" mini useful - I can use him as part of an Inquisitorial retinue and
turn the six-pack, uh, geneseed carrier into a satchel-style homer. And I
am quite likely to steal your 'rogue psyker' idea for my Word Bearers. I
might use one of the WFB sorcerer-looking minis for that one...

Thanks!

--
Ken Coble

> And I am quite likely to steal your 'rogue psyker' idea for my Word
> Bearers. I might use one of the WFB sorcerer-looking minis for that
> one...

I used a necromunda wyrd figure. a lot of my old necromunda figures found
new roles as squad leaders or special weapons in traitor/cultist units.
this is good because I'm lazy and they require little if any conversion.
however, I wouldn't recommend it unless you happen to already have
necromunda figures you bought years ago - while you can still get them from
GW, the prices are now amongst the most obscene of any of their product
lines.

I always envisaged the T Homer to be a watch type device............

Not that bloody great thing in the termies box......................

Snarfgargle the 43rd The Condottiere wrote:
> I always envisaged the T Homer to be a watch type device............
>
> Not that bloody great thing in the termies box......................

I guess that would make it easier to model at least...

"That spot of white paint on that mini's wrist? Yeah, that's my teleport
homer."

I do agree that the big beacon they're including with the new Terminators
seems a bit big, though. Assuming they update the Dark Angel Termies and
assuming that beacon will still come with them, I'd probably use it for a
scenario maker or something. It does look like it would lend itself to that
LED conversion that Myr was talking about earlier. Snip off the plastic
"lamp," replace with a small LED, run the wires down to a watch battery
under the base. Presto, instant blinkenlight.

--
Ken Coble