[40K] plastic catachan vs cadian sprues

okay, if anyone has any experience with either (or even better, both) these
sprues, riddle me this:

say I wanna convert some plastic guard models with shotguns from the
necromunda sprue, instead of the standard lasguns. which sprue (if either)
has arms/hands as wholly separate components from lasguns? the photo scans
on GW's website are so small and cruddy I can't even figure out which
components ARE the friggin' lasguns, let alone whether any have hands or
arms attached.

as complete models, the plastic cadians look to me like they may well use
the right shoulder/left wrist joint arrangement, but I'm less sure about the
catachans. I'm not reeeally keen on the catachan figures, but I can make
the best of them, if the cadians are gonna be a huge pain in the ass to
convert ... or if they're both gonna be a pain in the ass, does anyone know
which would be the least annoying?

thanks, goofballs.

-Al

In article <sh24e.24167$r47.330@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, Doctor Rock,
malafex@blueyonder.co.uk Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> okay, if anyone has any experience with either (or even better, both) these
> sprues, riddle me this:
>
> say I wanna convert some plastic guard models with shotguns from the
> necromunda sprue, instead of the standard lasguns. which sprue (if either)
> has arms/hands as wholly separate components from lasguns? the photo scans
> on GW's website are so small and cruddy I can't even figure out which
> components ARE the friggin' lasguns, let alone whether any have hands or
> arms attached.
>
> as complete models, the plastic cadians look to me like they may well use
> the right shoulder/left wrist joint arrangement, but I'm less sure about the
> catachans. I'm not reeeally keen on the catachan figures, but I can make
> the best of them, if the cadians are gonna be a huge pain in the ass to
> convert ... or if they're both gonna be a pain in the ass, does anyone know
> which would be the least annoying?

Unfortunately - you'll be wanting the plastic Rambos. The one
real draw back with the cadians is that the forward (ie left) hands on
virtually all of the arm pairs are modeled on the weapons. The plastic
rambos have their arm pairs all seperate from their weapons. You could
still use Cadians if you wanted to, you'd just have to cut the hands off
some rambo arms and attach them to the wrists of the cadian ones. How
many do you need?

> thanks, goofballs.

No problem squiggly. ;)

Myrmidon

#1582. I think they call it Warhammer "40K" because that is how
much you are going to have to make per year in order to play.

- Eric Noland

# 1082. Pound for pound I can buy cocaine cheaper than
raise a Warhammer army

- Roy Cox

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/gwprice/

****

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

"Myrmidon" <ImNot@home.com> wrote in message

> Unfortunately - you'll be wanting the plastic Rambos. The one
> real draw back with the cadians is that the forward (ie left) hands on
> virtually all of the arm pairs are modeled on the weapons. The plastic
> rambos have their arm pairs all seperate from their weapons.

sigh. I suppose they wouldn't look quite so bad if I could give them some
different heads or something.

> You could
> still use Cadians if you wanted to, you'd just have to cut the hands off
> some rambo arms and attach them to the wrists of the cadian ones.

urgh. it's a lotta money for plastic catachan sprues if I'm only gonna use
the hands, though.

> How
> many do you need?

dunno, haven't really got that far with the idea yet. only about 10 I'd
think. but with sprues at ~£6 each, that means I'd be looking at an
averaged outlay of nearly £3 per (plastic) figure at the end of it, with a
bunch of components I'd probably never even use left over :(

thanks for the info anyway, I will meditate on this...

"Doctor Rock" <malafex@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> okay, if anyone has any experience with either (or even better, both)
these
> sprues, riddle me this:
>
> say I wanna convert some plastic guard models with shotguns from the
> necromunda sprue, instead of the standard lasguns. which sprue (if
either)
> has arms/hands as wholly separate components from lasguns? the photo
scans
> on GW's website are so small and cruddy I can't even figure out which
> components ARE the friggin' lasguns, let alone whether any have hands or
> arms attached.
>
> as complete models, the plastic cadians look to me like they may well use
> the right shoulder/left wrist joint arrangement, but I'm less sure about
the
> catachans. I'm not reeeally keen on the catachan figures, but I can make
> the best of them, if the cadians are gonna be a huge pain in the ass to
> convert ... or if they're both gonna be a pain in the ass, does anyone
know
> which would be the least annoying?
>
> thanks, goofballs.
>
> -Al

Both sprues are easy enough to work with although the jungle fighters would
be easier, what force are te conversions for?

Jode

> > How
> > many do you need?
> dunno, haven't really got that far with the idea yet. only about 10 I'd
> think. but with sprues at ~£6 each, that means I'd be looking at an
> averaged outlay of nearly £3 per (plastic) figure at the end of it, with a
> bunch of components I'd probably never even use left over :(
> thanks for the info anyway, I will meditate on this...

Could always trade with a couple of us goofballs for our spare catachan bitz
;)

--
Daniel Blakemore
Mini Gallery #1 - http://www.rottenlead.com/copper/thumbnails.php?album=8
#2 - http://www.voidgamers.com/channel/b.190.html?author_name=MYLORDKHORNE
#3 - http://www.pbase.com/mylordkhorne/
ICQ:14459824 Yahoo IM: mylordkhorne

"Jody Hodgson" <jody.hodgson@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> Both sprues are easy enough to work with although the jungle fighters
> would
> be easier, what force are te conversions for?

thematically: pirates / mercenaries; structurally: imperial guard

"Daniel "Naughty Tentacles" Blakemore" <Daniel.Blakemore@btopenworld.com>
wrote in message news:d2r1cs$78h$1@sparta.btinternet.com...
>> > How
>> > many do you need?
>> dunno, haven't really got that far with the idea yet. only about 10 I'd
>> think. but with sprues at ~£6 each, that means I'd be looking at an
>> averaged outlay of nearly £3 per (plastic) figure at the end of it, with
>> bunch of components I'd probably never even use left over :(
>> thanks for the info anyway, I will meditate on this...
>
> Could always trade with a couple of us goofballs for our spare catachan
> bitz
> ;)

well if anyone REALLY wants that old azhag the slaughterer w/ wyvern figure
.... can't think of anything else I've got left worth trading :( I'm all
traded out after the past couple of years of GW prices.

In that case I would say jungle fighters are going to be your best bet,
although I wouldn't just stick to 40k sprues, mordheim sprues particularly
the human merc sprue will give you some good head swap options and will all
fit with catachan and cadian sprues with only the min. of work. I'd say get
a catachan sprue and Empire Militia sprue (part code 99381102001) and the
combination of the two should give some pretty unique mercs

"Doctor Rock" <malafex@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:<Nw44e.24504$r47.18164@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...
> "Myrmidon" <ImNot@home.com> wrote in message
>
> > Unfortunately - you'll be wanting the plastic Rambos. The one
> > real draw back with the cadians is that the forward (ie left) hands on
> > virtually all of the arm pairs are modeled on the weapons. The plastic
> > rambos have their arm pairs all seperate from their weapons.
>
> sigh. I suppose they wouldn't look quite so bad if I could give them some
> different heads or something.

They wouldn't look so bad if you gave them different arms - having
various Catachan bitz bought as part of the 'mutant' sets released in
the EoT, only the arms and hands really don't work - I've used body,
head and leg components as parts for other models and they aren't bad.

Philip Bowles

In article <sh24e.24167$r47.330@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
"Doctor Rock" <malafex@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> okay, if anyone has any experience with either (or even better, both) these
> sprues, riddle me this:
>
> say I wanna convert some plastic guard models with shotguns from the
> necromunda sprue, instead of the standard lasguns. which sprue (if either)
> has arms/hands as wholly separate components from lasguns?

I've done the shotgun conversion using both. The Cadian was a one off
for a kill team, the Catachan (and Chaos Marauder) were part of a
scratch built Goliath gang that I'm (still) working on. Both have their
advantages and drawbacks.

The Catachan are the easiest to convert: just remove the plastic Goliath
shotgun from the hand, file the cut out area down and glue to the
Catachan pistol grip/stock arm. You end up with pretty decent looking
autoloader shotgun. The problem is that it's attached to the rest of a
Catachan body.

For the Cadian I used a plastic Orlock shotgun, which has the left hand
molded onto the gun. Cut the Cadian lasgun off just in front of the
trigger and do the same with the Orlock shotgun. Glue the shotgun to the
remnants of the lasgun and you're most of the way there. Unfortunately,
the left hand is molded pretty far back on the shotgun, so finding an
Cadian arm that will match it is difficult at best, and even then
results in some pretty funky poses. I suppose one could leave more of
the lasgun stock in place so that the shotgun hand is in a more
natural/useful position. Not quite sure how it would look aesthetically,
though.

If I were to make more I'd use the Goliath plastic shotgun exclusively
(feel free to send any my way, everybody). I'm thinking I'd cut out the
area of the lasgun around the Cadian hand and fashion it into a fore
grip, which can then be spliced into the Goliath shotgun.

If you're interested in the results, I can snap some pictures and upload
them to my pbase page.

--
Be seeing you-
Qrab

"Qrab" <qrab@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> If you're interested in the results, I can snap some pictures and upload
> them to my pbase page.

sure, that'd be helpful. thanks for the write-up too, this is the kind of
stuff I was wondering about.

In article <qrab-6134D5.17390306042005@newssvr14-ext.news.prodigy.com>,
Qrab, qrab@sbcglobal.net Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> In article <sh24e.24167$r47.330@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> "Doctor Rock" <malafex@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > okay, if anyone has any experience with either (or even better, both) these
> > sprues, riddle me this:

> If I were to make more I'd use the Goliath plastic shotgun exclusively
> (feel free to send any my way, everybody). I'm thinking I'd cut out the
> area of the lasgun around the Cadian hand and fashion it into a fore
> grip, which can then be spliced into the Goliath shotgun.

LOL! ~ I've got two boxes of untouched plastic goliaths with
shotguns, etc. Since I have a butt-load of Cadians to paint one of
these light-years, I'm not doing much with them (bought them as
conversion bits for a possible Jungle Vets squad.). If you and/or Doc
Roc each want a box, or if Doc isn't interested, I can send both to you
- let me know.

Myr :)

(Clearing out the odd-bits one at a time... ;)

--
"Sleeter" wrote: The moment arrives, you've spent weeks planning
only to roll a 1! Your army is crushingly defeated as your opponent

"J Allen" wrote: You should have used GW flock instead of the
hobby shop stuff. It's your own fault.

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

In article <X8b5e.14779$mQ6.11502@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
"Doctor Rock" <malafex@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> "Qrab" <qrab@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>
> > If you're interested in the results, I can snap some pictures and upload
> > them to my pbase page.
>
> sure, that'd be helpful. thanks for the write-up too, this is the kind of
> stuff I was wondering about.

You're welcome. I uploaded the photos, they can be found here:

http://www.pbase.com/qrab/shotguns

As you can see, the left hand/arm on the Cadian is kind of jacked, but I
didn't put a lot of time into it. Feel free to ask questions and I'll do
my best to answer them.

--
Be seeing you-
Qrab

In article <MPG.1cbfbba612094d7a98a500@news-server.woh.rr.com>,
Myrmidon <ImNot@home.com> wrote:

> (Clearing out the odd-bits one at a time... ;)

I'll take whatever shotguns the Doc doesn't want. Or whatever else,
whichever's easiest.

I may actually see Dan this month. If so, I'll pummel him until he gives
up your BFG models and *I'll* mail them to you. Unless he's already done
so (which I doubt).

--
Be seeing you-
Qrab

In article <qrab-C3483E.20255507042005@newssvr13-ext.news.prodigy.com>,
Qrab, qrab@sbcglobal.net Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> In article <MPG.1cbfbba612094d7a98a500@news-server.woh.rr.com>,
> Myrmidon <ImNot@home.com> wrote:
>

> > (Clearing out the odd-bits one at a time... ;)
>
> I'll take whatever shotguns the Doc doesn't want. Or whatever else,
> whichever's easiest.

I emailed Doc Roc since I'm sending him some other bits - I've got
two boxes and I promised one to you - if he doesn't want the other, then
I'll send both to you.

> I may actually see Dan this month. If so, I'll pummel him until he gives
> up your BFG models and *I'll* mail them to you. Unless he's already done
> so (which I doubt).

No he hasn't mailed them to me. So, pummeling him would be good
because (A) it's been so long I can't even remember what year it was I
paid him for those, and (B) he originally hit you up for the funds to
buy those bits in the first place when he mentioned going to Games Day
LA (IIRC) and I asked if he'd snag them for me. Go figure. :)

Hopefully I'll hear from Doc Roc by tomorrow and I'll mail off one
or two boxes of plastic Goliaths on Saturday. And while you're punching
out RTM (hopefully right in front of his bird) you might ask him if I
could persuade him to part with any of his old Fimir? I'm wanting to
do Slann in 40K - but I hate the actual RT era Slann minis and am slowly
converting (all plastics so far) Fimir into 40K armed proxie Slann.

Later,

Myr

#1582. I think they call it Warhammer "40K" because that is how

In article <qrab-EBA80B.20223607042005@newssvr13-ext.news.prodigy.com>,
Qrab, qrab@sbcglobal.net Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> In article <X8b5e.14779$mQ6.11502@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> "Doctor Rock" <malafex@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > "Qrab" <qrab@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> >
> > > If you're interested in the results, I can snap some pictures and upload
> > > them to my pbase page.
> >
> > sure, that'd be helpful. thanks for the write-up too, this is the kind of
> > stuff I was wondering about.
>
> You're welcome. I uploaded the photos, they can be found here:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/qrab/shotguns
>
> As you can see, the left hand/arm on the Cadian is kind of jacked, but I
> didn't put a lot of time into it. Feel free to ask questions and I'll do
> my best to answer them.

Knowing that the Cadian arms come as a matched set, wouldn't it have
been easier to simply keep them paired, and just cut off a plastic rambo
arm at the left wrist and attach the hand to the left cadian arm? I do
like the Cadian Shotty with bayonet. I'm just not enough of fan of the
actual 40K shotgun rules to want to model them up (frankly they could
have given it a +2 or +3 S bonus at 1/2 range {quasi-melta gun} to make
it actually worth taking on assault type troops).

Myrmidon

#1582. I think they call it Warhammer "40K" because that is how

> In article <X8b5e.14779$mQ6.11502@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> "Doctor Rock" <malafex@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> "Qrab" <qrab@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>
>> > If you're interested in the results, I can snap some pictures and
>> > upload
>> > them to my pbase page.
>>
>> sure, that'd be helpful. thanks for the write-up too, this is the kind
>> of
>> stuff I was wondering about.
>
> You're welcome. I uploaded the photos, they can be found here:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/qrab/shotguns

thanks. that's basically the kind of thing I had in mind. I like the
cadian trench gun conversions, but I'm starting to think that the catachan
components may actually be more suitable for scumbag mercenaries anyway.