Question 4101 - display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, but recovered - game crashes

Mar 28, 2021
hi, so i just built a new pc: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/41676228 i swapped my old gtx 1050ti becouse i cant afford new gpu at current prices. everything worked fine untill i installed some games. every game freezes after couple of minutes. I can still hear voices or even move my character in game for next 10 seconds, then it crashes to the desktop. i found that with every crash windows leaves a log in event viewer which says: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped respodning, but recovered. old pc worked fine, on much lower fps of course but it never crashed. i reinstalled the drivers couple times, installed old ones, etc. i also did many other things since i didnt know yet it is a gpu problem such a upgrading bios, ran memtests, cpu stresses, reinstalled windows, turned off xmp profiles. there is not much info about this problem in google and im totally running out of ideas. i tried second pcie slot, no effect. i dont really think i could damage the gpu somehow by just swapping it to another pc. valley benchmark is behaving almost exactly the same as games. can you help me somehow, please?

how does the crashes look like:
View: https://youtu.be/RR6l4HtI7Og

also checked the temps they are completly fine

Mar 28, 2021
im not sure what do you mean. if you ask for virtual memory i tried to add it, didnt help. same games didnt crash on old pc with less ram and same gpu

Mar 28, 2021
okay, so i found something interesting. i download afterburner and rivastatistics and i realized that my gpu clock is 1900mhz at stress, when it should be 1392MHZ MAX. Also, the memory clock should be max 1752mhz and in stress ITS 3100. i changed the sliders to the maximum left and i can see a big improvment with crashes. for example, valley benchmark crashes slightly more rare then before, but its not enough. The slider is maxed to the left and my gpu clock is still 100mhz higher then recommended. can i set the value somewhere else?

so basically what i need is a software where i can underclock my gpu more than in msi afterburner. for some reason at the deafult value my card is overclocked by +500 on core and +1,8k on memory. maxing sliders to the left isnt enough and the gpu is still overclocked by +100 on core and 1,2k on memory which causes crashes.

or is there any way to type exact mhz rather then move the sliders?

Last edited: