4133 MHz Unachievable?

Oct 16, 2018
I just started a new build and ended up going with G.Skill Trident Z 4133 MHz DDR4 RAM. My motherboard is the MSI Z370 Godlike and it supports RAM up to 4133 so that’s what I went with paired with an i7 8700k. Unfortunately, I can’t even get my system to boot beyond 3600Mhz with the 8700k at stock or even overclocked makes no difference. What exactly is it that affects what clock speed my RAM will boot with? I figured if the motherboard said it would support it that it would work. Would upgrading to a 9900k possibly allow me to run higher clock speeds it does the CPU not even matter?

Solution
Try it with only a single stick installed. If no POST, then reset CMOS, increase DRAM voltage by .005v, save settings, exit and try again.

If still no post, increase DRAM voltage again. Once you get one stick to POST at the desired frequency, try another stick. If no love, remove one stick, into bios again, increase DRAM voltage again by .005v, save settings, exit, add second stick, power on, try to POST.

Much like this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3809073/ram-question-illiterate.html

Also, BEFORE you do any of that, make sure you have the most recent bios version for your motherboard installed. This might be really important as many BIOS updates directly reflect increased DRAM compatibility and they don't always state...
Try it with only a single stick installed. If no POST, then reset CMOS, increase DRAM voltage by .005v, save settings, exit and try again.

If still no post, increase DRAM voltage again. Once you get one stick to POST at the desired frequency, try another stick. If no love, remove one stick, into bios again, increase DRAM voltage again by .005v, save settings, exit, add second stick, power on, try to POST.

Much like this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3809073/ram-question-illiterate.html

Also, BEFORE you do any of that, make sure you have the most recent bios version for your motherboard installed. This might be really important as many BIOS updates directly reflect increased DRAM compatibility and they don't always state all the changes between versions so even if it says something like "update CPU microcode", that doesn't mean that changes to increase memory compatibility weren't also included.

Solution