[SOLVED] 420mm Radiator in a BeQuiet Silent Base 802

stanley88845

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
Please keep it to 1 thread
I just got myself a BeQuiet Silent Base 802 and it officially supports a 420mm radiator in the front and a 360mm on the top. After looking at the case for a while I feel like it really has the room for a 420mm on the top with some light modification, has anyone ever done this before?

Solution
Ok, ram clearance should be fine then. But no water cooling clout 😔

I will keep the NH-D15 in mind though for sure, but before I confirm anything I'm gonna do some planning and measuring to see if a 420mm radiator could in fact fit. Thankyou for your help though.
NH-D15 is different from the NH-D15s which is a newer, high compatibility variant.
The s is the one that fixes the ram clearance issue.

stanley88845

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
Not me.

That is a very nice looking case at stock.
What are you planning that requires a 420 radiator?
I have an i5-8600k at the moment I use a Corsair H100i GTX to cool it, however it is starting to reach the end of its lifespan. I was looking at getting an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 as it's on sale for £100 (so it's cheaper than the 360mm model) and is one of the best coolers on the market, but I wanted to do a top mount on it as it'd look ugly with the tubes stretching from the bottom right to the top left of the case and it'd barely reach if I were to do a front mount. I know this cooler is overkill for an 8600k but I was planning to upgrade to a 3900xt or a 5900x, which this cooler would be perfect.

stanley88845

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
Is this thread a work in progress? I can see you're currently online, but I'm only seeing a partial post.. What is it you need help with exactly?
Just trying to see if anyone has tried to get a 420mm rad in the top of a BeQuiet Silent Base 802, as I was looking a 420mm aio and wanted to do a top mount as it'd look so much better and wouldn't stress the tubing.

You have an excellent case for an air cooler.
Here is Noctua's cpu suitability chart for the 5900X:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/AMD-Ryzen-9 5900X-1045

NH-D15s is as good as it gets.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NH-...hild=1&keywords=nh-d15s&qid=1616424259&sr=8-3
The silver version is even less.
Unless you are planning on highest overclocks, you could even do with less.

As you noted, aio coolers have a limited lifespan.
I have used a D15s for many years on my 8600K@5.0 with no heat issue at all.
It is virtually silent and will never leak.

stanley88845

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
You have an excellent case for an air cooler.
Here is Noctua's cpu suitability chart for the 5900X:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/AMD-Ryzen-9 5900X-1045

NH-D15s is as good as it gets, and it now comes in a good looking black.
Likely it would cost less.
Unless you are planning on highest overclocks, you could even do with less.

As you noted, aio coolers have a limited lifespan.
I have used a D15s for many years on my 8600K@5.0 with no heat issue at all.
It is virtually silent and will never leak.
My only worry with that cooler is ram clearance. I have all my ram slots filled, I'm, pretty sure it'd fit if I took off one of the fans but then I'd be loosing out on cooling and it'd probably be worse than the 420mm aio. Plus, a 420mm aio would just be very cool to have. I'll probably do some measuring later today to see what I can do with an aio of that size, worst case scenario I will have to go with the 360mm version. There is always going with a custom loop as well, but that'd be way more expensive.

My only worry with that cooler is ram clearance. I have all my ram slots filled, I'm, pretty sure it'd fit if I took off one of the fans but then I'd be loosing out on cooling and it'd probably be worse than the 420mm aio. Plus, a 420mm aio would just be very cool to have. I'll probably do some measuring later today to see what I can do with an aio of that size, worst case scenario I will have to go with the 360mm version. There is always going with a custom loop as well, but that'd be way more expensive.
I referenced the NH-D15s because of better compatibility.
It has no ram clearance issues unless your ram is taller than 65mm.
https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15s/specification
The cooler is designed to use only the supplied fan.
In addition it is slightly offset to clear graphics cards mounted in the first pcie slot.

stanley88845

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
I referenced the NH-D15s because of better compatibility.
It has no ram clearance issues unless your ram is taller than 65mm.
https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15s/specification
The cooler is designed to use only the supplied fan.
In addition it is slightly offset to clear graphics cards mounted in the first pcie slot.

I will keep the NH-D15 in mind though for sure, but before I confirm anything I'm gonna do some planning and measuring to see if a 420mm radiator could in fact fit. Thankyou for your help though.

NH-D15 is different from the NH-D15s which is a newer, high compatibility variant.

Solution

stanley88845

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
I had no idea they released a newer model called the NH-D15s, I though you were just stating the DH15 as a plural. I'll have a look in to that model, thanks. I'll be sure to update you on what I'm gonna do.

stanley88845

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
Ok I just read up on some reviews and got this quote "Do note, however, that while the front can support up to a 360/420 rad, the top is officially limited to a 240/360 - though the 140mm mounts are there, a drawback of the chassis' angled top is that the pull-out radiator tray isn't offset far enough to guarantee compatibility with motherboard heatsinks.

Last edited: