4266mhz DRAM operating at 2133mhz

cardey88

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2013
Hi, I've just finished making a new PC build after changing the motherboard, CPU, PSU, and DRAM.
The CPU I'm using is the CORE I7-7820X 3.6GHZ and the motherboard the ASUS TUF X299 mark 1 and the DRAM I'm trying to use is G Skill trident 4266mhz but it only seems to want to operate at 2133mhz. There are options to go up to 4600mhz in the bios, which makes me think it supports up to that but I may be wrong, I know my CPU supports more than needed. I've updated the BIOS to the latest version and tried the X.M.P profile, which seems to try to boost it to it's max speed in the BIOS but I'm met with a black screen and no signal as soon as I reset. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm stuck scratching my head at the moment.

Solution

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well your biggest mistake was buying a 4266mhz DDR4 RAM kit and expecting it to work out of the box, especially with X299. Hardcore overclockers and enthusiasts buy RAM kit's like that because they know what they are getting into. I would never recommend a gamer or someone who doesn't expect to spend hours fiddling around with timings in order to get that kit to work, buy it. I would recommend you return that kit and get something more reasonable like 3200mhz CL14 kit.

If you want to try to get that kit working I would recommend looking up some guides on 4000mhz+ ram kits on X299. It's a real pain from my understanding.

RAM voltage is going to be beyond 1.35v with that kit which is not good for the CPU's memory controller, intel recommends 1.2v, 1.35v at the max. I bet that kit will need 1.4-1.45v. Like I said those kits are for enthusiasts who don't care they are shortening the life of the cpu memory controller, they just want record breaking benchmark scores.

cardey88

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2013

Oh dear, my bad. I've purchased my upgrades through a fiance with overclockers so returning them may be a bit of a pain. I should have done more research evidently.
Is there anyway of getting this DRAM to operate around 3200mhz? Or does it have to be divisions of 4266? I know this would be wasting money in terms of what they're designed for but as I said returning them may be a pain.
I don't want to shorten the life of my CPU memory controller for the sake of faster RAM though, I'm just not that rich.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

The XMP profile should set it to 1.4v automatically. They said they tried that and it didn't work. The OP will likely have to manually mess around with primary and secondary timings to get that kit to boot at 4266mhz. A kit like that is not plug in, turn on XMP, and play.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Thats what I would try, yes it should run at 3200mhz. But you will have to manually enter primary timings, I would try 14-14-14-34. Speed will have to manually be set to 3200mhz and DRAM voltage will need to manually be set to 1.35v.

If you need help doing this let me know and I will try to walk you through it.

Solution

cardey88

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2013

Thanks for that, I'm guessing uping it to 1.4v isn't very advisable for somebody who cares about the longevity of their rig?

cardey88

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2013

I'll give that a try and get back to you, thanks.

cardey88

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2013

I've tried the timings and voltage given and I set it to 3200mhz, It's booted up OK but I'm using this program called speccy and where it was saying the DRAM was operating at 2133mhz it's now saying it's operating at 1595mhz any ideas? Thanks again for this I really appreciate it.

cardey88

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2013
I've found some timing profiles for the G SKILL trident 3200mhz with people discussing it in a forum, do you think I'll be OK trying the timing from that 3200mhz RAM on my 4266mhz? I'm a bit out of my depth here I don't know if they'll translate OK.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Try CPU-Z instead of speecy I don't know how speccy calculates DRAM. In CPU-Z if it says the RAM is running at 1600mhz that means 3200mhz, cpu-z just doesn't double it. DDR means double data rate, some programs don't double it. So 1600mhz would mean 3200mhz.

cardey88

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2013

Sure, in CPU-Z Dram frequency is around 1596mhz, and NB frequency is 798.2 resting and jumping as high as 2000+ mhz.
Is that looking like success?

cardey88

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2013

Awesome thanks. Sure I may as well get the most I can out of them at 1.35V. The timings I'm using are 14-14-14-34 there is a bit more info than that on cpu-z if you need it though.

cardey88

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2013
OK I've got it running at 4000mhz @ 1.35v using the timings 18-19-19-39 as suggested in the link given. This is the maximum frequency allowed at this voltage, again according to that link. Do you think I'd be better running it at 3800mhz to make sure I'm not stretching that voltage too far? Or do you think 4000mhz will be OK? I'm sure any performance increase will be virtually negligible between those anyway so I'm not too fussed, but you're input would be appreciated. I'll leave it as is if you think there's no issue.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
SuperPi 24million is good. I find the best stress test for system RAM are memory intensive games, BF1 showed me memory instability that was not present in superpi or programs like Memtest86.

4000mhz is fine at 1.35v, assuming it's stable. 3800mhz is good too, especially if you can run it with tighter timings. Faster memory speed usually results in more of a performance gain in games than timings. But it can depend on the game, some games really don't care what your memory speed or timings are and will perform the same at 2400mhz as it would at 4000mhz.

cardey88

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2013

OK thanks for the info, I do plenty of gaming anyway so I should know before long. Can I also ask, when doing the DDR4 timings was I better doing that in the X.M.P profile or out of it e.g in manual? I only ask because X.M.P changed a few other settings that I haven't touched in manual.

cardey88

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2013
I've managed to get my head round it, I made the same changes x.m.p made bar one that was changing the allowed frequency so exactly 4000 was no longer available. Other than that it was only two other minor changes. Thanks again for all your help I think I'm good to go.

cardey88

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2013

I'm having a bit of a bizarre problem, I've changed my RAM settings fine, I can reset my PC and the settings will be kept. But if I turn off my PC for more than a couple of mins, my PC turns on but I get no signal to the T.V no matter how long I wait. I then have to do a hard reset and it loads in safe mode I go into my BIOS and it's loaded in 2133mhz but kept my settings, I'm not sure if this is because it's in safe mode after a hard reset, anyway I then save and reset from BIOS and change nothing and it boots up fine.
I'd really rather not have to hard reset my PC ever time I've shut it down, so any ideas would again be appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS