[SOLVED] 43% backaround usage on i9 9900k.

Aug 3, 2019
So I have been user bench marking my system and recently noticed my 2 month old i9 was preforming in the 3rd percentile. Userbench mark says I have 43% back around cpu usage when task manager say I have less then 8. I dont know what to do and have run almost every antivirus under the sun.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What about memory, disk, and gpu usage, are they also low in task manager?
What programs are at the top of the list in task manager?

It could just be windows acting up.

There's also the hidden icons in the task bar, those are background processes too.

Aug 3, 2019
What about memory, disk, and gpu usage, are they also low in task manager?
What programs are at the top of the list in task manager?

It could just be windows acting up.

There's also the hidden icons in the task bar, those are background processes too.
I reinstalled the adwcleaner and it found something directing to thebrighttag.com I reran the user bench mark and backaround process was only at 8% which fixed it. However the CPU is still extreamly under perfoming in the 6th percentile.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How's your cooling?
Even the best air coolers have trouble with an overclocked 9900k - assuming it is overclocked, or all core enhancement is enabled?
Are you using an AIO instead?
What's your motherboard? Some of them can't actually handle a 9900k - the vrms are weak.
Current ram kit?

Aug 3, 2019
How's your cooling?
Even the best air coolers have trouble with an overclocked 9900k - assuming it is overclocked, or all core enhancement is enabled?
Are you using an AIO instead?
What's your motherboard? Some of them can't actually handle a 9900k - the vrms are weak.
Current ram kit?
My cooling is pretty good and it's not over clocked, I have 5 fan case and liquid cooling I have a maxius hero XI.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Don't forget to check the sensors only box, or you'll get pages and pages of info.

Liquid cooling isn't saying anything. There's no difference in liquid or air in their respective ranges. A 120mm Corsair H60 gets near identical temps to a CM hyper212 evo for instance. So there's quite a variety of what liquid can mean. It's only real advantage is in the largest coolers, 280mm/360mm, which have a considerably higher capacity than any aircooler could possibly have.

So on a cpu like the 9900k, even at stock settings, you should have a minimum of a decent 240mm (@ 200w ish area) with better results from a 280mm/360mm rad. If you are using a 140mm that's OK, but a 120mm isn't, it's barely rated at what would be considered a stock cooler.

So that in itself can and will affect temps.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You can leave it disabled. It's nothing dangerous, but the sensor readings aren't accurate. I'm looking at it now, and it's telling me I have 3 devices running -63C! XD
You want to monitor cpu temps, thermal throttling, power limit exceeded - these should all be under '9900k: DTS'.
There's another tab called '9900k: Performance Limit Reasons, as well as your motherboard's temp readings.
Generally, anything of immediate concern will be marked with a red 'yes'.

Reactions: Keypad22
Aug 3, 2019
You can leave it disabled. It's nothing dangerous, but the sensor readings aren't accurate. I'm looking at it now, and it's telling me I have 3 devices running -63C! XD
You want to monitor cpu temps, thermal throttling, power limit exceeded - these should all be under '9900k: DTS'.
There's another tab called '9900k: Performance Limit Reasons, as well as your motherboard's temp readings.
So while running the tests nothing came up with a red yes, Ive linked my user bench mark test if you would like to view it.

Aug 3, 2019
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/18996439

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
The Max XI hero will enforce TDP on earlier bios'. This causes the CPU to run at base clock under heavy load. The CPU will run at 4.7 ghz all core if the TDP isn't enforced. Turn on multi core enhancement or max all of your power and turbo duration limits. This will unleash the beast. If your cooling isn't up to snuff it will be stressed by this so keep an eye on temps.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok. The cpu is only running at base clock. Do what rigg42 suggested and enable multi core enhancement.
Also, what's your cpu cooler? 240, 280, or 360mm AIO?

I see you also mixed 2 different ram kits, and it appears to be working out so far...
If later on you start to experience crashes, BSODs, stuttering, etc,. that would be the first place I'd look.

Solution
Aug 3, 2019
The Max XI hero will enforce TDP on earlier bios'. This causes the CPU to run at base clock under heavy load. The CPU will run at 4.7 ghz all core if the TDP isn't enforced. Turn on multi core enhancement or max all of your power and turbo duration limits. This will unleash the beast. If your cooling isn't up to snuff it will be stressed by this so keep an eye on temps.
How do i do this?