4400 and AMD max temps dont add up...

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
ok heres the deal ive been pushing my 4400 X2 AMD as far as i am willing to get it, busy running prime95 to stress test it and current temp under load is 59C.

now personally i think is too high but ive been doing some research on the AMD website for max temp and have come accros two different tables..

this one states max temp 49-71C
http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/details.aspx?opn=ADV4400DAA6CD

and this one states max temp 49-65C
http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/details.aspx?opn=ADA4400DAA6CD

the odd thing is that the 49-71 is stated for the 89watt version and the 49-65 for the 110watt version im not sure which one i have, but im gonna assume ill be ok as long i keep the temp under 65C..

yet on most boards and forums i see a stated max temp of 55, basically im wondering if 59 is too hot for this proccessor, currently running at 2.6 Ghz at 1.45v.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Where do you read the 59 ? from the sensor on the motherboard, or from one of the cores, or where?

I'm quite sure the 65 they refer to as max is on the core internally, and therefore the motherboard thermal sensor should better not reach 65...

I wouldn't go beyond 55C myself, but only because I've read everywhere not to .... like you, I've got no clue if it's because higher temps introduce more frequent errors, or if it's because it dramaticly increases the risk of physical malfunction (frying)

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Where do you read the 59 ? from the sensor on the motherboard, or from one of the cores, or where?

I'm quite sure the 65 they refer to as max is on the core internally, and therefore the motherboard thermal sensor should better not reach 65...

I wouldn't go beyond 55C myself, but only because I've read everywhere not to .... like you, I've got no clue if it's because higher temps introduce more frequent errors, or if it's because it dramaticly increases the risk of physical malfunction (frying)

bit of both, higher temps, do cause errors, and also decrease the life of the product, i in all honesty wont go over 60, although i did fry it using supreme commander that ran both cores at 100% temp went to 67 :? , im looking for watercooling at the moment and have put my CPU back to stock clocks for the time being.

the temperature was read using the ASUS utility, its accurate as far as i can tell, a quick boot will show the temp 1 or 2 degrees lower than reported(by BIOS) but thats to be expected.

all i really want to know is why the they state 49-71 instead of just 71 or just 49, my thinking was idle 49, load 71...

dipz

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I wouldn't go beyond 55C myself

Are you referring to Core temp here or temp from another sensor? My core temp is ~ 7-10 C higher than my motherboard listed temp. I would like to know if I can push higher with my mobo temp up to 55 C and my core at ~65, or should I keep core temps below 55C(mobo temps ~45C)?

e36_Jeff

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
I've got a 4800+, and to be honest, I stop whenever I see temps above 50C. Its not any exact number I saw anywhere, but its well below the stated max temps, and it seems to be a safe number. I'm running at 2.65 at around 1.4V, and I idle at about 35C and max at around 40-45C. Im just using air-cooling, and my case is packed,(7HDDs, 2 optical drives, an 8800GTS, 2PCI cards and 1 PCIe card all in a mid tower), so you may want to up your cooling abilities

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Well according to the chart above the 4400+ processor has a core temp limit of 70 ... which means, that you can physically break the thing by exceeding this level.

I highly doubt it''ll remain stable at 68, which is below the limit .... but how far you can push it before it starts degrading too fast I can't tell you. Don't think many people can actually, cause nobody's experimenting with that sort of thing to my knowledge.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I've got a 4800+, and to be honest, I stop whenever I see temps above 50C. Its not any exact number I saw anywhere, but its well below the stated max temps, and it seems to be a safe number. I'm running at 2.65 at around 1.4V, and I idle at about 35C and max at around 40-45C. Im just using air-cooling, and my case is packed,(7HDDs, 2 optical drives, an 8800GTS, 2PCI cards and 1 PCIe card all in a mid tower), so you may want to up your cooling abilities

hmm what HSF are you using to cool that thing?, im still on stock but looking for something better.

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
My OC'd 4200+ runs at 59degrees all the time with a stock fan, even when it wasnt OC'd it was running @ 54-55 degrees max. So i think 58/59 is fine, i do think it is high personally but if AMD are willing to bundle crappy coolers then who am i to argue. On a side note, ive just bought an E6400 and a Scythe( or however its spelt ) CPU cooler as id prefer to keep the system cool when overclocking

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
i would recommend you check to see you installed that HSF properly, my stock cooler gives around 35 idle and 44 load(when its not OC). make sure that youve got yours seated properly, the AMD stock coolers are very good.

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
thanks for the advice, in systool it says 43 degrees for mobo CPU internal temp
Ive had some bad heatsink experience since i used Jack Daniels to clean the HS paste off my old x850pro to attach a Zalman Infin1ty. One for me..hic..one for the GPU...hic lol. It was from 40 degrees to 80 in under 20 seconds with ATITool, lol, eventually got it sorted

im actually going to do my new build soon and ive ordered artic paste, and im giving my current mobo and 4200+ to the gf, she'll not be running any heavy CPU apps, so ill leave it for the moment, will definately reattach it in a ew months, i wouldnt mind i spent ages lining it up and what not when i attached it. Ill have to make doubly sure the HS attachment for the 6400 is perfect

e36_Jeff

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
XP-90C, from thermalright with a 92mm Vantec tornado on it. The mobo controls the speed of the fan based from the temps of the CPU, so it kicks into high speed mode(very loud) at about 44C, the rest of the time its pretty quiet

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
ive been hearing good things about the zalman 9700, ill take a look at the thermalright, but its hard to find reviews that compare the models that you want compared lol.

EDIT

from what i can tell these air coolers, just knock off about 5C when looking at the graphs under load....

been looking at a cheap watercooling kit, like the Nautilus 500, that knocks off about 10C...but a bit too expensive for that.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Yeh, but most stock graphics coolers are rather poor due to size restrictions - cpu coolers however aren't really bad anymore. They come with heatpipes stock these days. Anyhow aftermarket ones can still kick off a bit of extra heat, especially liquid cooling systems.

TRENDING THREADS