[SOLVED] 450€ budget to upgrade current build

ACosta77

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015
Before I start I live in Portugal.
I definitely need a new monitor since my current one is only 1080p60. I was thinking of 144hz or even 75hz. I also think I need more storage, at least 500GB (my motherboard has space for an m.2).
But if I do get a 144hz, my current GPU cannot output those frames at high/ultra on AAA titles (I play mostly those and racing games). I was thinking of the 1660 Super but it still can't push 144fps.

This is my current build. What should I do? Buy 144hz monitor when RX 5700 drops in price next year?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Kingston A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive x2
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Solution
Hmmm... Your setup is decent. A 1440p144Hz Monitor, new GPU and more Storage upgrade would make for some nice quality of life upgrades, that's for sure.

I would say more storage is a must here since we're talking about games. TBH, I would opt for a 2Tb 7,200Rpm to store all your games instead of a 500Gb M.2 SSD. It'll be cheaper and you're only sacrificing anywhere from 10-15% in loading times. It's worth the price difference IMO. You could install game launchers and apps on your SSD and install the actual games on the HDD.

As for the GPU vs Monitor upgrade. You've said it yourself. If you get a better GPU you won't be able to see the difference (although you will be able to run every game in Ultra at 60fps). But if u get a 1080p or...
Hmmm... Your setup is decent. A 1440p144Hz Monitor, new GPU and more Storage upgrade would make for some nice quality of life upgrades, that's for sure.

I would say more storage is a must here since we're talking about games. TBH, I would opt for a 2Tb 7,200Rpm to store all your games instead of a 500Gb M.2 SSD. It'll be cheaper and you're only sacrificing anywhere from 10-15% in loading times. It's worth the price difference IMO. You could install game launchers and apps on your SSD and install the actual games on the HDD.

As for the GPU vs Monitor upgrade. You've said it yourself. If you get a better GPU you won't be able to see the difference (although you will be able to run every game in Ultra at 60fps). But if u get a 1080p or 1440p 144Hz monitor, your GPU won't be able to output that.

I think it would be easier to give you a recommendation if you can list the games you play as this will factor in the decision.

However, if you're planing on sticking with AMD GPUs, getting a 144Hz Freesync monitor may be the play here since Freesync will adapt the Refresh Rates to the actual FPS, and 144Hz is still a Quality of Life upgrade for everyday browsing and so forth. So unless you're getting less than 60fps in some of your games, I'd say go for the monitor, that way you can run dual screens for your setup. It's awesome.

Note: 75Hz doesn't really feel like an upgrade over 60Hz. You barely feel the difference. If you want to uograde, definitely upgrade to 144Hz.

Hope this helps. Feel free to still list your games.

Solution