[SOLVED] 450$ gaming monitor

_Stylo

Honorable
Nov 3, 2014
I currently own the Asus vg248qe which I bought about 4 years ago And I'd like to buy a new one.
I'm not sure If I should keep with the TN panel or move on to IPS with 144Hz and 1ms. (is it better than TN with the same specs?)

I thought about buying the 23.8 Asus TUF Gaming VG249Q IPS

Must say that I want a 24" monitor and nothing bigger/smaller than that

Any help would be great
Thanks!

"IPS monitors may well be more expensive but the quality is higher and the colors are much better, as are viewing angles. This is important to consider if you're ever looking at your monitor anything other than dead straight on. They're the best all-round choice, especially for creatives, and refresh rates are getting higher. "
https://www.windowscentral.com/ips-vs-tn-monitors

This one is pretty good...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
Monitor | MSI Optix MAG251RX 24.5" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor | $359.99 @ Best Buy
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $359.99
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-24 10:13 EDT-0400 |

Reactions: mctrader07
"IPS monitors may well be more expensive but the quality is higher and the colors are much better, as are viewing angles. This is important to consider if you're ever looking at your monitor anything other than dead straight on. They're the best all-round choice, especially for creatives, and refresh rates are getting higher. "

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Monitor | MSI Optix MAG251RX 24.5" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor | $359.99 @ Best Buy
| Total | $359.99
While IPS monitors are better for colors and viewing angles, over the years TN has gotten much more capable in those catagories.
You can look at them from a bit to the side or up and down and not lose every color on them.
A new TN monitor won't be a bad buy, though reading reviews is a good indicator since a new monitor can use a dated panel.

_Stylo

Honorable
Nov 3, 2014

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
| Total | $359.99
Unfortunately, I'm unable to put my hands on that monitor since It's not available in my country and current shipping rates in Amazon are pretty high.

Are there any other choices?

_Stylo

Honorable
Nov 3, 2014
While IPS monitors are better for colors and viewing angles, over the years TN has gotten much more capable in those catagories.
You can look at them from a bit to the side or up and down and not lose every color on them.
A new TN monitor won't be a bad buy, though reading reviews is a good indicator since a new monitor can use a dated panel.
I'm willing to consider another TN monitor if it really worth it.
Anything you'd suggest? (off course I'll read their reviews first)

Thanks!

I'm willing to consider another TN monitor if it really worth it.
Anything you'd suggest? (off course I'll read their reviews first)

Thanks!
As for a specific model, it doesn't really matter, usually any name brand you recognize is a safe bet.
They all get their panels from the same place anyway.
i could suggest the 24inch 144hz 1080p curved monitor from samsung. its a va panel, i have its 1440p 144hz 27" counterpart and its really good, but maybe you can find this exact panel in an asus monitor and pay a little less.
specs>brand

Ok, we need to dispel the misinformations here. This is a recent article...
https://www.howtogeek.com/658701/tn-vs.-ips-vs.-va-whats-the-best-display-panel-technology/

TN were good back in the day when IPS and VA were expensive and TN were cheap with fast response time for gaming. These days TN panel is bad buy when you have cheaper IPS and VA panels with equally good response time.
Why would you buy TN when IPS and VA gives you similar response time with better colour saturation and refresh rate at the same price???
Between VA and IPS if you get an IPS with low response time and fast refresh rate, you should grab that, else go for VA. TN should not even be in your consideration with that kind of budget.

OP, when you mention your budget in Dollars, you should also mention your location, otherwise it is presumed to be USD.
What is your current location/country???

Last edited:

_Stylo

Honorable
Nov 3, 2014
Ok, we need to dispel the misinformations here. This is a recent article...
https://www.howtogeek.com/658701/tn-vs.-ips-vs.-va-whats-the-best-display-panel-technology/

TN were good back in the day when IPS and VA were expensive and TN were cheap with fast response time for gaming. These days TN panel is bad buy when you have cheaper IPS and VA panels with equally good response time.
Why would you buy TN when IPS and VA gives you similar response time with better colour saturation and refresh rate at the same price???
Between VA and IPS if you get an IPS with low response time and fast refresh rate, you should grab that, else go for VA. TN should not even be in your consideration with that kind of budget.

OP, when you mention your budget in Dollars, you should also mention your location, otherwise it is presumed to be USD.
What is your current location/country???
I'm from Israel so it's about 1,800 ILS
I was looking at this monitor "Asus TUF Gaming VG249Q IPS" and was wondering if it is any good
It's an IPS panel, 144Hz 1ms response...