[SOLVED] $450 New Build - Christmas Present

Dec 5, 2020
Newbie here. I'm a mom to a 13 yr old and 14 yr old who really want a gaming pc for Christmas. My budget is $450.

I've done some research and think it would be fun to work together to build a computer that we could upgrade to meet their needs as time goes on rather than buying a pre-built. I have very little experience, but have taken a few laptops, repaired, and put back together following I fix it. I tend to research and and am fairly resourceful finding answers to problems.

Approximate Purchase Date: Have parts before Christmas

Budget Range: $450 after shipping and taxes or as close as possible

System Usage from Most to Least Important: slight gaming, web surfing, homework. I know they would play minecraft mods and some games on steam. My older son has played Skyrim on his uncle's computer and enjoyed it. His favorite console game is COD. I think if they had the opportunity they would really get into pc gaming.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, but this is separate from my budget

Do you need to buy OS: Yes. I've seen a way to use Windows 10 without a key during my research though. Is this recommended?

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, amazon, others that come highly recommended

Parts Preferences: Will take any recommendations.

Overclocking: Not now

SLI or Crossfire: ??? I'm not familiar with this

Your Monitor Resolution: likely to be 1080p at beginning

Additional Comments: my 13 yr old wants a case that looks cool, while I want him to like it, this is not as necessary. The idea is to be able to upgrade this in the future.

I have found several builds for $400 and $500 but really need to know if it's the way we should go and what would be best for some games for them to get. into pc gaming

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Not exactly a build within your budget but it's a great starter t for the kids and one that meets the requirements of pretty much all games that are out now;

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (12nm) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 CL19 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Team MP33 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($35.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Not exactly a build within your budget but it's a great starter t for the kids and one that meets the requirements of pretty much all games that are out now;

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (12nm) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 CL19 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Team MP33 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($35.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB OC Video Card ($349.95 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill FBM-X1 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($33.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.94 @ Newegg)
Total: $786.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-05 23:18 EST-0500

Please be advised that due to the pandemic, most stuff are out of stock, are hard to find or overpriced...so em, yeah but I hope you can get your kids in on the PC building bandwagon ;)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS