Question 450 Watt 80+ Bronze certified EVGA PSU for radeon RX 5700?? not the xt

Apr 23, 2020
i see some ppl claiming that its fine some not. figured id ask myself for closure. I dont feel like upgrading my psu as its a prebuild and it isnt THAT big a deal to me. but i do want to up my card. i have a radeon 580 atm and i want to improve. is the PSU able to handle the 5700 ok?

im NOT oc anything i plan to just play video games thats it is there a risk of burnout/damage? if psu cant handle will it just shutoff/bsod? if i cant whatsoever use this psu. Whats beefiest card i can get with that psu. thanks in advance. i did a ton of googling before i came here

i see some ppl claiming that its fine some not. figured id ask myself for closure. I dont feel like upgrading my psu as its a prebuild and it isnt THAT big a deal to me. but i do want to up my card. i have a radeon 580 atm and i want to improve. is the PSU able to handle the 5700 ok?

im NOT oc anything i plan to just play video games thats it is there a risk of burnout/damage? if psu cant handle will it just shutoff/bsod? if i cant whatsoever use this psu. Whats beefiest card i can get with that psu. thanks in advance. i did a ton of googling before i came here
You need to list your full system specs including the model and age of the PSU.

450 Watt 80+ Bronze certified EVGA PSU
about 3 years old.
ryzen 5 1400 quad core processor 3.20ghz
16gig ram
EVGA makes 4 or 5 different bronze 450 watt power supplies....nevermind. Some RX 5700 have a TDP of 180 watts and others have a TDP of 225 watts. Make sure the one you buy uses power connectors your PSU already has. Adapters are not a safe option. If your PSU has the proper power connectors for the RX 5700 you want to buy, you can try it. If the system shuts down without warning you'll know the PSU needs to be replaced. It'll probably be ok for a while if the PSU is in good working order but you should plan to upgrade before too long. If your PSU is 3 years old it is probably already out of warranty.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020
EVGA makes 4 or 5 different bronze 450 watt power supplies....nevermind. Some RX 5700 have a TDP of 180 watts and others have a TDP of 225 watts. Make sure the one you buy uses power connectors your PSU already has. Adapters are not a safe option. If your PSU has the proper power connectors for the RX 5700 you want to buy, you can try it. If the system shuts down without warning you'll know the PSU needs to be replaced. It'll probably be ok for a while if the PSU is in good working order but you should plan to upgrade before too long. If your PSU is 3 years old it is probably already out of warranty.

thank u for the informative input. Ill most likely just get both if i decide tog o with this upgrade dont wanna burn anything out. Would you happen to know the "beefiest" card i could get for my PSU? or am i forced to just upgrade to gte better. I have a radeon 580

thank u for the informative input. Ill most likely just get both if i decide tog o with this upgrade dont wanna burn anything out. Would you happen to know the "beefiest" card i could get for my PSU? or am i forced to just upgrade to gte better. I have a radeon 580
Any GPU with a TDP of 200 watts or less should be ok for your PSU. This gives you choices up to RX 5700 for AMD and up to RTX 2070 for Nvidia. Just remember your PSU needs to have the necessary power cables for whatever GPU you upgrade to. This could end up being the limiting factor for you. Adapters are not a safe option. I don't recommend overclocking without upgrading the PSU.

Latest posts