4570 vs FX 6300 for gaming

adam22

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
Hi, I need a help with choosing the CPU for gaming PC. I have this options: 4570 + 7870 or 6300 + 760, I would rather choose the intel because I dont need to upgrade the CPU for few years I think, what do you think?

Solution

yes in my opinion, for gaming go with the intel cpu and keep the 7870 with it to give amd the love it needs =)

the 6300/6350 is fine for most AAA games. though still slower core per core than the haswell/ib I5. Now in multiplayer/mmos/fpsmmos (planetside 2) the intel is far and away the better gaming chip.

vrgadin

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013

yes in my opinion, for gaming go with the intel cpu and keep the 7870 with it to give amd the love it needs =)

the 6300/6350 is fine for most AAA games. though still slower core per core than the haswell/ib I5. Now in multiplayer/mmos/fpsmmos (planetside 2) the intel is far and away the better gaming chip.

Solution

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008

depends on whom you ask really.

intel fanatics will say no it no matter. intel for life.
amd fanatics will can say "Return of the Jedi...errr....AMD"!

personally, obviously AMD will influence the game developers who will than be using tools tailored for AMD platform. also games will staart to be more threaded. all this will not mean that the raw performance of AMD will increase. but in all likely hood, AMD hardware will have better resource utilization. and since AMD is arguably better in threaded apps (which im sure intel fanatics will object to) things are likely to look up for AMD.

again, having said all this, this will not mean that the raw performance of AMD will increase.

ALSO:
i wouldn pick the intel. since with the cheaper CPU you can get a better grafix, which is what counts. games are hardly CPU limited. also you could go for 8350 by adding a little more, and than intel is not a valid option any longer

adam22

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
In my country 8350 costs 164€ and 4570 168€ and intel has better power consumption and I like that also. I think 4570 do as 3570 in games and then intel beats 8350 in most games with the much better power consumption, I also think 4570 is more futureproof because as you said intel is just good at games and GPU i can upgrade more easily than CPU.

vrgadin

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013
i disagree, the 7870 is a fantastic card. its alot easier to upgrade a gpu in the future if you want than a cpu. the ivy or haswell are such good designs they will keep you relevent for a long time. plus when and if amd multithreads become the choice for gaming, the 6300 will be completely outdated

Hmmm.... an interesting dilemma...

Supposedly, Broadwell will only be released to OEMs so the only upgrade with socket 1150 is to the i5-4670k; excluding any refreshes to the Haswell CPU next year. Skylake will require a new mobo because it will be a different socket.

Steamroller is expected next year and it will be the last AM3+ generation CPU. In terms of game performance, Intel holds the edge over AMD. Steamroller will close the gap between PileDriver and Haswell... the question is by how much? Will Steamroller be equal to Haswell when it comes to gaming performance? Perhaps... Will Steamroller exceed Haswell's gaming prowess? Unlikely...

I think it is best to go with the i5-4570 mainly due to the fact that Steamroller's performance is unknown. Sacrificing some performance now for unknown performance in the future doesn't sound like a good strategy. At best I think Steamroller would only equal Haswell in gaming performance. In that case it also makes no sense in buying a FX-6300 and then upgrading to Steamroller in the future to get "Haswell like" performance. Waste of time and money.

While Broadwell does not seem to be an upgrade option any more and Skylake will definitely not be socket 1150 compatible, at worse, assuming there will not be any refresh whatsoever to Haswell next year, there is still the possibility to buy the i5-4670k which will allow you to overclock and squeeze out more performance in the future while keeping the same motherboard (if you by a Z87 chip).

Of course, if you can postpone the PC build until you can afford the i5-4670k, then I think that would be the better option. Of course, that depends on how much it costs and how long you need to save up the additional money.

adam22

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
4670k costs 203€ and it is not about saving up money, I just do not want to spend so much on the PC. So 4570 will last long enough without bottlenecking GPUs? I do not plan overclock.

Tough choice between them. Another suggestion for better cpu power than the 6300, is the 3550p, which may allow your budget to get the 760 as well, and allow an upgrade to a 3570 or 3770 later. If your into overclocking and can push the fx 6300 to near 5ghz it becomes closer to the i5's in gaming performance, but then your spending more money on coolers/motherboards etc to get a few more mhz when you could just buy a faster cpu in the first place. Another suggestion would be a 8320 if your into overclocking, they OC as well as the 8350 in most cases but cost a bit less. Maybe give us a list of games you plan to play, some games are much more cpu bound and would favor the intel rig more where others are more gpu favourable and the 760 + 6300would do better.

adam22

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
GTX 760 costs 240 € while 7870 costs 170€ and i5 3550p costs 149€ and FX6300 costs 95€. I would play FPS like Battlefield, COD, Mirrors Edge and I dont know what else so it is hard to tell :D. I will have this rig for few years without upgrading anything except GPU. I do not want OC at all. I think the GTX 760 is really new and it will drop, so it is not worth the money now. And do you think this PSU will be good even for GTX 760 or similiar SEASONIC S12II-520W?

yeah, that psu would be fine. Also consider a 7950, they can be had quite cheap, or 7870 XT which is a 7950 gpu with slower ram. COD games like intel cpu's as they arent well threaded. dont know about mirrors edge, but i believe thats a physx supported game, so a nvidia card would be great. BF# is gpu dependent, but it runs on my gtx660 flawless at 60fps 1080p, its also a nvidia favorable game. How much are you planning to spend on a motherboard? you could possibly save some money get a low end one, or spend a bit more and get one that supports SLI, buy a lower end gpu now like a gtx660, and get a second gpu later for more performance. Maybe give us a list of components you plan on getting and a budget, and we can help balance out how you are going to spend your money, the mid range level is a very hard one to get the best for your $$$, so many options. Having said all that, i think you will be happy with either of your chosen setups, both have their pro's and cons.

adam22

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
7950 costs 267€ and 7870 XT from XFX costs 216€, I know that GTX 660 is good but it is a little bit slower and I like to have the best bang for the buck :). I do not plan SLI, the MB are expensive. My budget is 550€
INTEL:
CPU - 168€ i5 4570
GPU - 170€ 7870
MB - 60€(I should wait till the prices of haswells drop because the cheapest costs 60€ and it is not very good from my point of view)
RAM - 45€/50€ (8GB)
PSU - 62€
CASE - 37€ bitfenix merc alpha
HDD - from old PC - 2TB

or AMD:
CPU - 95€ FX6300
GPU - 240€ GTX 760
MB - 60€
RAM - 45€/50€
CASE - 37€ same bitfenix...
PSU - 62€ same seasonic
HDD - same 2TB

You have beautiful prices of PC components in America :(

vrgadin

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013
you did say you arent overclocking your cpu at all? than a 6300 is not the way to go. those chips are meant to be oced. you will have drastically worse performance than an i5 if not ocing the amd. if you really dont want to overclock at the very LEAST get a 6350. still, no oc, definately get an i5

adam22

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
I wanted to pick the solution but when I clicked it it only shows me simple box with cross in top right corner and spinning circle in the middle of the box. After few seconds the circle will stop spinning and I don t know what to do. Any tips?

cmi86

Distinguished
Not to crash the party but I use a 6300 @ 4.5Ghz with a 7870 (tahiti) andit has yet to disappoint me. I can play any game I want with cranked settings and 99% of the time I'm bouncing off vsync at 60 FPS on 1080P. The 6300 is a perfectly capable gaming CPU. What that intel put's up in extra FPS the 6300 will take back and add to because of the better GPU you could afford by saving money on your COU.

adam22

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013

Will there be big difference in using non OC and with 7870 (non XT) in gaming?

cmi86

Distinguished

A small difference may be noticeable. @ 4.5 Ghz the 6300 is about 35% faster than stock speeds and a tahiti based 7870 is about 25% faster than a standard 7870. That being said I don't see why you would not overclock the 6300. With a $20 aftermarket cooler ( that should be used even if not OC'ing) You can hit 4.5 Ghz by changing about 3 settings. Most times you don't even have to touch the voltage which results in absolutely ZERO increased wear on the CPU. Voltage and heat add wear not speed. The FX is so easy to OC a cave man could do it, I see no reason why not to.

adam22

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
FX 6300 consumes much more power than 4570 in load and after OC it would be even more, I also tried to calculate the money for the difference(~<100W) and it looks 30€ / year with 6 hours load 365 d. So in two years it will return to me without taking in account the aftermarket cooler(Gelid Solutions rev. 2) costs 23€. And I will have this PC for a long time so it will return even more and GPU easily I can upgrade when the prices of the new GTX 760 drops.

cmi86

Distinguished
If you have the money buy the intel. If you don't buy the FX, you won't be disappointed. If you buy the haswell make sure you keep your windows and doors open while gaming and a fire extinguisher handy. 100c thermal limit for a 70 something watt chip is absolutely absurd.