45C on idle, is this too hot?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 9, 2018
Hi,

I recently changed my motherboard (the MSI Z370 a-Pro) becuase it was broken, and installed an extra ram stick. Because of this I had to reapply thermal paste on my cpu and all that, and ever since I updated my setup, temperatures are way higher than they used to bo. I don't know exactly how high my temperatures were before my updated setup, but I know that if I'd press my hand against the side of the pc while playing destiny 2 for example, it was pretty cool then, but now it can get as warm as 65 ~ 70 degrees, are these dangerous numbers?. My fans are working fine (as far as I know). What could be reasons for my cpu getting so hot? For the thermal paste, I used the amount equivalent to about an uncooked grain of rice, maybe a bit less, could that be it?

my specs:
gtx 1080 ti
MasterWatt lite 700W
msi z370-a PRO
intel core i7 8700k
g.skill value 8gb ram (x2)

EDIT: I might be stupid, I think I put my cpu fan on backwards, I think this might be the case because when I hold my hand close to the cpu fan, I don't feel any wind coming from it

Solution
For the 8700k I would say its not too high. In the 60s gaming seems reasonable, especially paired with strong graphics cards. The 45C on idle seem maybe a little high, I have higher 30Cs with an air cooler. But it all depends what kind of cooling you are using, also it is summer right now and ambient temperatures tend to be higher, your case and your case fans have an impact too. No, that are no dangerous numbers. I wouldn't be worried until you see constant 80Cs during gaming. And even that wouldn't be dangerous. It would degenerate your CPU maybe a little faster. I think you did alright with the thermal paste application. My usual go-to grain for thermal paste comparison is the size of a lentil. But you don't need a lot of paste. You...
Sep 9, 2018

Do you know how I can take the front off?

If you look carefully there will be some plastic studs on the inside allowing you to just have to pull hard on the front cover to get the front off...Double check to make sure there are no screws and when you do pull of front cover, make sure you dop not pull too far out as there will be cables behind attached to the front panel connectors like USB...

Sadly they have not provided a manual....

Sep 9, 2018

I haven't yet managed to get it open, but I did find the culprit in why my cpu was so hot after reinstalling the motherboard. When I wanted to reinstal, I also cleaned a lot of dust off of all components, including the fans. I put one of the fans on blowing air in, while it was supposed to be blowing air out, hence why my pc was so much cooler with the side panel off

larrycumming

Prominent
Aug 15, 2018
what brand/model pc case are you using?

Sep 9, 2018

http://modecom.com/en/advanced-gaming-d1-drakkar/

basbab

Reputable
Sep 17, 2018
try downloading some software which can tweak your CPU voltages, speed, RPM etc, and reduce your CPU voltage, i hope you will see a significant reduction in temperature after that. Also i read in some forum or quora that when more volt passes through CPU it shortens its life span.
but reducing Volt can result in slight performance degradation, if you don't want to compromise on performance then buy a good CPU cooler.