45C on idle, is this too hot?

Sep 9, 2018
Hi,

I recently changed my motherboard (the MSI Z370 a-Pro) becuase it was broken, and installed an extra ram stick. Because of this I had to reapply thermal paste on my cpu and all that, and ever since I updated my setup, temperatures are way higher than they used to bo. I don't know exactly how high my temperatures were before my updated setup, but I know that if I'd press my hand against the side of the pc while playing destiny 2 for example, it was pretty cool then, but now it can get as warm as 65 ~ 70 degrees, are these dangerous numbers?. My fans are working fine (as far as I know). What could be reasons for my cpu getting so hot? For the thermal paste, I used the amount equivalent to about an uncooked grain of rice, maybe a bit less, could that be it?

my specs:
gtx 1080 ti
MasterWatt lite 700W
msi z370-a PRO
intel core i7 8700k
g.skill value 8gb ram (x2)

EDIT: I might be stupid, I think I put my cpu fan on backwards, I think this might be the case because when I hold my hand close to the cpu fan, I don't feel any wind coming from it

Solution
For the 8700k I would say its not too high. In the 60s gaming seems reasonable, especially paired with strong graphics cards. The 45C on idle seem maybe a little high, I have higher 30Cs with an air cooler. But it all depends what kind of cooling you are using, also it is summer right now and ambient temperatures tend to be higher, your case and your case fans have an impact too. No, that are no dangerous numbers. I wouldn't be worried until you see constant 80Cs during gaming. And even that wouldn't be dangerous. It would degenerate your CPU maybe a little faster. I think you did alright with the thermal paste application. My usual go-to grain for thermal paste comparison is the size of a lentil. But you don't need a lot of paste. You...

mjbn1977

Distinguished
For the 8700k I would say its not too high. In the 60s gaming seems reasonable, especially paired with strong graphics cards. The 45C on idle seem maybe a little high, I have higher 30Cs with an air cooler. But it all depends what kind of cooling you are using, also it is summer right now and ambient temperatures tend to be higher, your case and your case fans have an impact too. No, that are no dangerous numbers. I wouldn't be worried until you see constant 80Cs during gaming. And even that wouldn't be dangerous. It would degenerate your CPU maybe a little faster. I think you did alright with the thermal paste application. My usual go-to grain for thermal paste comparison is the size of a lentil. But you don't need a lot of paste. You should be fine.

Again, the 8700k is a hot running CPU. For comparison. I use a 8700k in my system, which is overclocked to 4.8Ghz on all 6 cores. My cooling is the Dark Rock Pro 3 air cooler. My idle temps are usually between 30s and 40s (lower 30s in the winter, higher 30s in summer). During gaming the CPU is around 50C. But my computer is currently highly GPU bottle necked, since I am still using a GTX970 (switching to RTX2080 soon). So my CPU is never over 20% utilization during gaming. I think the gaming CPU temps will go up as soon as I use the RTX. During CPU benchmarking without AVX I have temps around 80s, with AVX it hits the 90s sometimes.

Solution
Sep 9, 2018

where I live it's about 25 degrees Celcius at the moment

mjbn1977

Distinguished
25 degrees celsius is kinda high for ambient temperature. So higher idle temp not really surprising, especially since you using an much smaller air cooler. The Pure Rock Slim is Pure Rock Slim is a 120W TDP cooler. My Dark Rock Pro 3 has 250W TDP, which is more than double the cooling power. Your cooler is not really sufficient to get the best out of the 8700k. It will work, but yes, you might see higher temps and you will probably see not the best OC results. You need to get a better cooler if you want to get the best out of your 8700k.

Sep 9, 2018

I'm outta money atm, but what would you recommend? And around what price point?

^ 20c over ambient isnt unacceptable for an 8700k.
& the shadow rock slim is honestly the bare minimum for a cpu that runs as hot as the 8700k does.

Fan should be at the front of the heatsink next to the ram. Bequiet badge on the fan should be visible.

Cpu coolers dont blow outwards from the heatsink , they blow into & through it so you should if anything feel air at the rear of the cooler not the front.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
You can use it. Just don't go crazy on overclocking and don't wonder about the temperatures. It will be ok, just a little warmer. Play around with you fan settings. And as long as your CPU temps are under 80C in gaming you will not do any harm to the CPU. 65C to 70C in gaming (that's what you said you have) is absolutely OK. But if you ever plan to try to get the most out of the 8700k with overclocking you might want to look into a much more potent air cooler (or water cooler). For now, just use the 8700k at stock settings or moderate overclocking. Just try to keep the gaming temps were they are or on the low to mid 70s for now.

My thoughts are still to re-install as 20 degrees c over ambient is a bit high, temps over ambient should be around 10 to 15 degrees.. In terms of thermal paste, maybe you did use a bit too little. I always err on the side of a bit more than less and a small pea sized blob in the middle...

I am only giving you my thoughts...nothing else.

My temps in London Ambient are 19 to 20 degrees C, temp of my 8700K right now around 28 degrees.

mjbn1977

Distinguished

Yes, but you have a really good water cooling and he has the absolute minimum air cooler. There is a lot of difference. and 20C degrees ambient vs 25C ambient is making a difference. Those two things in combination explaining his temps to me. I am using an aircooler with more than twice the cooling power then his and my ambient temps are about 25C as well. And my idle temps are about 37C. I am really not surprised about his 45C idle

You could be right but I am still on the fence as most articles give a 10 to 15 C difference between ambient...Also I am overclocked to 4.9GHz and mine really comes into play at the top end...still I am not going to discount what you have said because you could very well be right!!!!

I just think it is worth re-installing to find out one way or the other...

Sep 9, 2018

right now (after restarting my pc) the idle temperature is about 33 degrees, maybe because last time the pc wasn't completely 'idle', I had photoshop and a new project in unity open.Now I only have chrome opened

That is much more like it!!!!...I thought I was going mental in my old age...happy for you its sorted...

Sep 9, 2018

Also I've noticed that if I take off the side panel of my fc, it gets 10 degrees cooler. The max temperature while gaming is 60 degrees if that side panel is off, is this anything out of the ordinary?

Still a lot better than 45 Degrees C at idle now that it is down to 33 Degrees C at idle...

Sep 9, 2018

yeah, when I play games without that side panel on, my pc gets maximum of 60 degrees, so I'm pretty content right now

Sep 9, 2018

I have the Modecom Mag D1 DRAKKAR Full TOwer, and I am currently using only the built-in case fans, because I don't know where to put my extra fans (I have two be quiet Pure Wings fans)

Hi, just had a look at the case and it is not too bad at all. You can fit another fan at the front, so 2 x 120mm Fans in the front just above the fan already in there which is at the bottom front...if there is one there hopefully. You have to remove the front cover to place the fans. Also the front is mesh and ventilated so do make sure you use compressed air or something to keep the front clear of dust as thats where it can get clogged.

http://modecom.com/en/advanced-gaming-d1-drakkar/