[SOLVED] 4670K in 2020 games

OlittoTV

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
Hi guys, just bought the new Call of Duty on PC and I've been having stuttering issues, had them in some other games too over the years but never really bothered me

I currently have an older setup (haven't really upgraded in the past 6 and a half years)
4670K @ 4.6GHz
Corsair H110i GT Water cooler
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
240GB SSD
1TB WD Blue
4GB GTX 980 SSC

I know my GPU isn't the best nowadays but it still seems to cope with modern games and I'm not too fussed if it's on medium 1080p, I just want a smoother game, would the upgrade be worth it?

It'll cost about £80 after I sell my 4670K so would you think it's worth it? I thought I could maybe get the 4790K to 4.8GHz or higher if possible

I'm aware it's essentially the same CPU with a higher baseclock and hyperthreading but is it worth it in newer games? My CPU now is pegged at 100% when playing so hoping it would make a difference.

TIA

Solution
Hi guys, just bought the new Call of Duty on PC and I've been having stuttering issues, had them in some other games too over the years but never really bothered me

I currently have an older setup (haven't really upgraded in the past 6 and a half years)
4670K @ 4.6GHz
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
240GB SSD
1TB WD Blue
4GB GTX 980 SSC

I know my GPU isn't the best nowadays but it still seems to cope with modern games and I'm not too fussed if it's on medium 1080p, I just want a smoother game, would the upgrade be worth it?

It'll cost about £80 after I sell my 4670K so would you think it's worth it? I thought I could maybe get the 4790K to 4.8GHz or higher if possible

I'm aware it's essentially the same CPU with...

4670K @ 4.6GHz
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
240GB SSD
1TB WD Blue
4GB GTX 980 SSC

I'm aware it's essentially the same CPU with a higher baseclock and hyperthreading but is it worth it in newer games? My CPU now is pegged at 100% when playing so hoping it would make a difference.

TIA

The CPU upgrade is worth it imo - modern games really need more than 4 threads, however HT actually makes a big difference so older i7's are still fine. It will be enough to keep you going for the time being.

The 980 is still capable for 1080p gaming, the rest of your specs look decent.

The only other thing you might want to consider is looking at a larger SSD - many of the latest titles can stutter a bit when loading from a HDD as the large open world games tend to load game assets on the fly and HDD drives aren't really fast enough to keep up. That doesn't sound like the issue you are having with COD though.

In the longer run it may be worth thinking about a platform update (i.e. new mobo, cpu and ram) although that is a much bigger investment and as I say, the i7 should be fine for now.

Solution

OlittoTV

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
The CPU upgrade is worth it imo - modern games really need more than 4 threads, however HT actually makes a big difference so older i7's are still fine. It will be enough to keep you going for the time being.

The 980 is still capable for 1080p gaming, the rest of your specs look decent.

The only other thing you might want to consider is looking at a larger SSD - many of the latest titles can stutter a bit when loading from a HDD as the large open world games tend to load game assets on the fly and HDD drives aren't really fast enough to keep up. That doesn't sound like the issue you are having with COD though.

In the longer run it may be worth thinking about a platform update (i.e. new mobo, cpu and ram) although that is a much bigger investment and as I say, the i7 should be fine for now.
Cheers for that, I have considered a platform upgrade but I'd have to purchase everything again (RAM, CPU, MOBO) and a decent setup won't be cheap. I don't plan on doing this yet as I'd stopped playing games for a few years but wanted to get the new COD.

I think for £80 it'll be a good way to keep me going for a couple more years and with the 4790K holding it's value quite well I would hope when it comes to selling I won't lose out too much

Reactions: cdrkf